[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
How do you paint your US infantry?? Bolt action - WestGamer
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:22 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:40 pm 

Hi guys,

So I'm wanting to get into bolt action but since it's been so long since I played and painted them I can not remember how I painted them and I was unhappy with the scheme anyway. So I'm wondering how you guys paint your scheme? I'm after at least tabletop quality as I do like to put the effort in like I do my 40k models. Any help you can provide is much appreciated :D I've seen some guides but I'm still interested in hearing from you guys.

Cheers Ash

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:32 pm 

I actually made a list when I did it, though I've changed a couple of things with recent discoveries:

Helmet - Vallejo model US dark green
Shirts/regulars socks- Vallejo model Russian uniform ww2 (also rangers pants)
Pants/rangers socks- Vallejo model khaki
Skin-Vallejo model flat flesh, wash GW Reikland fleshtone
Guns/boots- Vallejo game charred brown
Metal- GW Chainmail
Pouches/backpacks- Vallejo game Bonewhite
Wash- army painter war paints strong tone

If you look at the first page of my blog (link in my sig) you can see them.

I'm sure Woof will chime in with his, I like how his look.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:43 pm 

Hey Ash!

Good to meet a fellow gent under Uncle Sam.
For my models I used Army Painter paints over a skull white / GW white spray undercoat.

You can find my hobby log in that part of the forums, but essentially I painted them these colours in this order:

Helmet - army green
Boots - fur brown
Gun/weapon/entrenching tool wood grain - fur brown
Gun metal - black then plate mail metal
Skin - barbarian flesh, then soft tone wash
Webbing / back pack - desert yellow, soft tone wash
Pants - monster brown
Jacket - necrotic flesh
Helmet - wash with green ink
Rest of mini - wash 50/50 green ink / strong tone

Then spot highlights of the original colours.

Similar process / colours : http://youtu.be/ITaBLy0D-Gs

Have fun :)
-Sam

Edit: Whenever I paint I use 50:50 paint:flow medium, so all of the above (bar washes) is one drop of each on a wet palette.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:03 am 

Quote:
I actually made a list when I did it, though I've changed a couple of things with recent discoveries:

Helmet - Vallejo model US dark green
Shirts/regulars socks- Vallejo model Russian uniform ww2 (also rangers pants)
Pants/rangers socks- Vallejo model khaki
Skin-Vallejo model flat flesh, wash GW Reikland fleshtone
Guns/boots- Vallejo game charred brown
Metal- GW Chainmail
Pouches/backpacks- Vallejo game Bonewhite
Wash- army painter war paints strong tone

If you look at the first page of my blog (link in my sig) you can see them.

I'm sure Woof will chime in with his, I like how his look.
Thanks for your reply, i like the look of your troops :) so i will give your guide a go. Ive got the vallejo paints but not the wash, would you think nuln oil would be roughly equivalent or something else? You say you've changed a free things what were they if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again
Ash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:09 am 

Quote:
Hey Ash!

Good to meet a fellow gent under Uncle Sam.
For my models I used Army Painter paints over a skull white / GW white spray undercoat.

You can find my hobby log in that part of the forums, but essentially I painted them these colours in this order:

Helmet - army green
Boots - fur brown
Gun/weapon/entrenching tool wood grain - fur brown
Gun metal - black then plate mail metal
Skin - barbarian flesh, then soft tone wash
Webbing / back pack - desert yellow, soft tone wash
Pants - monster brown
Jacket - necrotic flesh
Helmet - wash with green ink
Rest of mini - wash 50/50 green ink / strong tone

Then spot highlights of the original colours.

Similar process / colours : http://youtu.be/ITaBLy0D-Gs

Have fun :)
-Sam

Edit: Whenever I paint I use 50:50 paint:flow medium, so all of the above (bar washes) is one drop of each on a wet palette.

Hi Sam,

WW2 has always been an interest of mine so what better way than to progress into bolt action :) your blog is a real motivator to get painting as they look great.

I dont have any army painter paints as yet but i plan to order some in the next day or so and get painting! Plan is to paint both schemes from you and Orange and see which i like better as its way to hard to decide atm.

Thanks again

Ash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:56 am 

I added the changes to the list I posted, so if I were to paint them now the list above is what I'd use :)

Strong tone is the army painter equivalent of Agrax. Dark tone is like Nuln Oil. They're pretty much the same, but Army Painter is cheaper for more, and comes in a dropper bottle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:13 pm 

One good thing about the GIs is that you can use a range of colours for jackets, representing differential fading. Early/mid-war (even up to late 1944) you could do the 'Parsons' jacket in Green Ochre, German Camo Beige, US Field Drab, or Khaki Grey (all Vallejo). I have also used Karak Stone (GW). As long as the rest of the palette is fairly consistent the variation can look pretty effective.

Another colour you might want to consider for helmets is Vallejo Brown Violet (neither brown nor violet; something to do with the translation from Spanish, apparently).

Cheers
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:00 pm 

Thanks guys for the replies, I'm hoping to get into tactics this week or weekend and pick a US squad up and give it a go. Ive got plenty of agrax in my draw so I'll use that up and see how it goes. Youngster i do remember reading a thread saying to use brown violet. From memory that is one colour i did use on my troops ages ago, i hadn't thought of using a slight tone difference across the squad but i think that could be quite effective.

These bolt action threads and blogs are so inspiring. Just had a look at Wolf's battle report and seeing a fully painted army and table really does spur the motivation.

When i bought the normandy set ages ago it comes with the ruined building. How would you guys suggest is the best way to paint it?? Ive never actually painted any buildings before so im concerned I'll use colours that dont look right for the period :(

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable