[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Where to get undercoat spray cans? - Page 2 - WestGamer
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:12 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:41 pm 

I'm not too sure that many of the cans are labelled as acrylic or enamel--the ones in Bunnings tend to be, but the hobby ones not so much.

The Tamiya primer I have doesn't say.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:56 am 

Can we ask what you are painting?

In terms of the colour, as others have said it depends on what you're after in the end product - a darker primer will often lead to darker overall colours, whilst a brighter primer will lead to brighter colours (im a white-primerer myself). However, if your model is going to be primarily one colour then it might be useful to get a primer in that colour (for example, GW Savage Orcs are generally painted with green skin - as they don't wear a lot of armour and have a lot of skin showing its not unusual for people to prime them green).

Kings of War - still rolling my dice and moving my mice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:27 pm 

Quote:
The Tamiya primer I have doesn't say
Yeah it doesn't, which is not cool. When I used this stuff as a base coat I had the less than optimal experience of my Vallejo and Citadel acrylics beading on the primed surface :roll: . Fortunately it was not terminal but I had to brush the over coat a lot to get through the oily film that seemed to cover the top surface on the basecoat (so I am guessing it is some weird mix of acrylic and enamel, or is acrylic with a wee bit of oil added to help make a smooth surface). So ever since that experience I have avoided using the Tamiya base coat / primer, which is a shame because it is a bit cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:08 pm 

That's really weird, I've been using it for years and I've never had anything like that happen. Are you sure it wasn't just a bad can?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:45 am 

That may well be the case, maybe it was old stock. Good to hear you have not seen the same problem so I'll give it another shot next time I need some more white basecoat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:08 am 

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the replies.

I am not a very good painter but will be trying to improve instead of "just painting for laughs". This is why I thought if I can get a spray undercoat that will strip in case I make any mistakes.

When I made this thread last night I did not realise the difference between primer and undercoat.

Here's another question for you experienced folks, do primers come in acrylic? The GW sprays are acrylic and not strictly speaking primers' correct?

Thanks!
Another brand which hasn't been mentioned to this point are the Army Painter brand coloured spray paints. I've used the Skeleton Bone can and their White spray. My use of black or white undercoat changes depending on the miniature, its not a set thing for me. I used the skeleton bone when I painted up a Tyranid army that were predominantly that color, so all I had to do was shade the bone and then add color to the claws and other details. Sped the painting process up heaps.

If you are painting a one-color heavy scheme (e.g. Blood Angels space marines with all that red armor) then you might find their color-specific undercoat cans really speed you up. The skeleton bone is a good one for flesh colors if you are painting up models with lots of exposed skin.

On the flipside to that, if I am painting Orks I generally undercoat black as they usually have a lot of plate mail / metal bits and that way I can paint the metallics straight on top. There are plenty of guides online as well, I'd recommend checking out Dr. Fausts Youtube channel and also Angel Giraldez (the studio painter of Infinity) has a great book on painting (a bit airbrush heavy) with some quick videos, e.g. how he quickly mixes and picks out 3 color highlights in under a minute. Plenty of resources out there now :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:41 am 

Just to play the devils advocate :mrgreen: I would suggest just sticking to the Gamesworkshop spray.

As long as your not pulverising the models with paint at a range of 5cm it is never bad.
They are expensive yes but they have always given me a nice coat, they are compatible with every other range of potted paint ( you won't have to worry about separation or paint not bonding to the primer).
They now have several colours that are really great bases for pretty much any paint scheme and if you do want to strip them the GW spray does come off when stripped but you will have to use a toothbrush to scrub the models and a toothpick to get some of the paint out of recesses.
My recommendation is that you use the mournfang brown spray. Dark colours work well on it and building from light brown to white/light colours is also really easy.
As an example my orks are all undercoated brown and with only two layers there skin is bright as,
here is an link to them. http://www.westgamer.com/forum/viewtopi ... 61#p437261

Alternativly if you want something quite light go for the ushabti bone, I would use this over the skull white spray as it is much less forgiving that the white if you miss bits, and it looks great with any wash.

I noticed that people are recommending Dettol to strip your models, as your a newbie I would advise you NOT to do this, go with the safer simply green option, Dettol is fabulous for stripping metal models but if you use it on plastic you can melt features.

Simply green on the other hand will strip everything of plastic given time and there is no chance that the plastic will be melted or go flimsy

If you do use Dettol only leave the models in it for a few hours then scrub and see how they are going, better safe than sorry.
On the other hand I left some space marines in simply green for 6 months and everything came straight off and other than discolouration the plastic was completely fine.

goodluck and don't forget to start a hobby blog so we can see how your going