It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:13 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: How do nids pick powers?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:18 pm 

Lets say i have 3 zoanthropes. if i want to give them rule book powers like biomancy, do i just swap a power out at a time? also say a tervigon do i need to buy his powers from the codex and then swap them out for a rulebook power? ie i buy FNP, do i just get 1 roll on the bio chart? to get 2 powers do i need to buy 2 powers to then drop them for something else?

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:22 pm 

No sure on how getting Codex powers works, but I will say that you cannot pick BRB powers, and must roll for ALL of them. Ie, you cannot pick a codex power AND roll for a BRB power. They must both come from the same source.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:38 pm 

so if i use biomancy on zoanthropes do i lose the warp blast? This whole magical powers thing is alien to me as i have only used those techno robots necrons and we dont believe in card tricks :mrgreen:

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:46 pm 

You would loose warp blast...on that zoan.

BUT, I believe (and correct my if i'm wrong here) that zoans can be taken in a squad, and not all of the squad would swap powers out, as individual model trade powers. Potentially you could take a squad of 3, with 2 using warp blast, and 1 using biomancy powers to provide a buff to the unit. I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds legit.

And yeah, no card tricks for necrons. This is more appropriate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:43 pm 

Whats the exact wording in the FAQ? Because the other FAQs are very clear with the power selections.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:58 pm 

The wording should be the same, I can check later.

You cannot mix codex powers with rulebook powers. You choose before deployment if you want to keep your codex powers or swap them for rulebook powers.

You can mix and match psychic disciplines, for example take one power from Biomancy and one from Telekinesis (I don't see a good reason to do so though).

Yes, you need to buy the extra psychic powers for the Tervigon if you want to swap them out. Remember that a Tervi comes with Dominion for free, so Tervigons get between 1 and 3 psychic powers.

Zoans get 2 powers each, Swarmlord gets 4, etc...

I'm not sure if Belly is right regarding Zoans i.e. if you can choose to only have a few swap for powers and the others keeping rulebook ones. I'll check the wording at home, if it says Model than ok, if it says Unit probably no. However they have clarified in the Faq that Zoans in the same unit can use different powers in the same turn.

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

Dystopian Wars June 2013 Campaign TFR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:28 pm 

Ok there is no mention of rolls having to be done by unit, just by "Psyker", p418. So yes, Belly is correct. Some Zoans can keep the lance and blast while others swap for rulebook powers.

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:03 pm 

Tervigon cans with dominate already, if u buy any extra powers u get an extra roll but is always mastery lvl 1

And for the thropes they are all single pysker as they dont have 'brotherhood of pysker/sorcerers' and each have to roll to activate their powers, yes 1 could heap dex powers, and other 2 roll on rulebook ones (but remeber u use majority toughness, so if one gets iron arm only he is at higher strength, so opponents will roll for lowest toughness if more then 2 thropes in a squad)

Also note thropes are mastery lvl 1 and only have one power each as warp field is a special rule

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 pm 

Quote:
Also note thropes are mastery lvl 1 and only have one power each as warp field is a special ruleHope that helps
Incorrect: Zoanthropes have 2 powers each: Warp Blast and Warp Lance. Which makes them pretty good psychic batteries if you want to swap the powers out.

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:14 pm 

great pick up innocent! i was going with 1 power.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:13 pm 

Mehh still mastery lvl 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:02 pm 

P3 of FAQs = Zoanthropes, Hive Tyrant, Broodlord, Tervigon and Doom of Malantai are Level 1 Psykers. Swarm lord Level 2.

KRAGS Gaming Club
Fridays 7.30 - 11.00 pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:06 pm 

Just to clarify: Mastery Level and the number of powers you have are 2 different things. But yes, Barry is correct, everyone is ML1 except the Swarmlord which is ML2.

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:30 pm 

No way !!! Didnt relise that =/ (he says sarcasticly)