It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:04 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:44 pm 

I see it in the same way as Mike cause that's how it reads, and a blast marker is to see how many models are hit regard less of it being most the time a single shot, as the void shield talks about hits and not shots.

Ive decided ill more then likely be coming, as ive put a decent effort into making a list to smash every think from guards man to warhounds and effectively ending the game in 2 turns even finished making the stuff for the list today :)

The truth is Mark Strong Hold isn't any where near hardcore as Escalation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:14 pm 

Did you get your chunderhawk built :D I thought stronghold was supposed to balance out escalation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:32 pm 

Stronghold was released to give rules for terrain for all to read (instead of you having to buy the model to get the rules), sale models (dahh) and for fun games, campaigns. But balance out Escalation... no, how would it D-weapons ignore every thing...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:09 am 

For Janissaries.

If a blast template glances or penetrates a void shield, then the void shield will collapse but the original target or any other units are unaffected. The rules for the Void Shield upgrade are quite clear on this as it makes no distinction between template and non-template hits.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:32 am 

Quote:
For Janissaries.

If a blast template glances or penetrates a void shield, then the void shield will collapse but the original target or any other units are unaffected. The rules for the Void Shield upgrade are quite clear on this as it makes no distinction between template and non-template hits.

Gary
Hits. Not Shots. Thats a pretty clear distinction.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:44 am 

Agreed, as the blast marker first has to be placed and the number of hits calculated from the models under the blast template, X amount of hits will go against the shield (X = depends how may shots it absorbs, due to armour pen rolls)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:04 pm 

Well, in that case they'll still be useful. It is just a matter of spreading out the units and, well, not taking infantry. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:06 pm 

Until its FAQ'd by GW, the template will have no effect other than to collapse the shield.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:08 pm 

It must first be determined if the template is hitting the unit or the shield. Go rules!
Quote:
Each projected void shield has a 12" area of effect (measured from any point on the Void Shield Generator building), known as a Void Shield Zone. Any shooting attack that originates from outside a Void Shield Zone and hits a target within the Void Shield Zone instead hits the projected void shield. If a unit is within 12" of more than one Void Shield Generator, and so within more than one Void Shield Zone when it is hit, randomly determine which of the buildings’ projected void shields is hit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:30 pm 

Quote:
It must first be determined if the template is hitting the unit or the shield. Go rules!
Quote:
Each projected void shield has a 12" area of effect (measured from any point on the Void Shield Generator building), known as a Void Shield Zone. Any shooting attack that originates from outside a Void Shield Zone and hits a target within the Void Shield Zone instead hits the projected void shield. If a unit is within 12" of more than one Void Shield Generator, and so within more than one Void Shield Zone when it is hit, randomly determine which of the buildings’ projected void shields is hit.
yeah reading that I would interpret that as multiple "hits" from a template are instead 1 hit on the shield.

mostly because of the sequence:

template fired at unit
template hits unit (possibly multiple times but just needs to be hit)
as unit is within void shield, template instead hits void shield.
resolve 1 hit on void shield.

but in saying that I can understand the other side of the argument where all actual "hits" are transferred to the void shield instead:

template fired at unit
determine number of hits from template
all hits allocated to void shield instead
determine hits on void shield.

but that raises another question.

Assume if you will that you score 2 hits from a template on a unit in a void shield. The first hit is resolved and it pops the void shield. where does the second hit go? does it go onto the unit? is it lost?

From my understanding you resolved the hits in sequence chosen by the firer, if the void pops the rest of the shots go onto the unit originally fired at?

I have a hard time picturing an explosive hitting a void sheild, collapsing it and doing reduced damage to the unit. HE rounds generally only explode once... but thats from a fluff point of view, not really applicable to a rules argument.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:46 pm 

So me and nick have been playing the way it's being rule at janissaries cool. I'm glade some also have seen it as I have :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:10 pm 

I don't agree but can see both sides of the argument (rules and fluff are different things are we have all learnt from 6th ed) and its easy to get around simple move into the void shield zone and shot the enemy (not to hard for fast armies) as these attacks aren't coming from outside the void shield zone, you can by-pass the shield and kill your target, so im not actually concerned =p

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:26 pm 

Actually two points I want to bring up...

1. From Escalation, last paragraph of Void Shields Rules: (As Quoted from original source)
'Each projected void shield has an Armour Value of 12. A glancing or penetrating hit (or any hit from a Destroyer
weapon) scored against a projected void shield causes it to collapse. If all the projected void shields have
collapsed, further hits strike the original target instead. At the end of each of the controlling player’s turns, roll a
dice for each projected void shield that has collapsed; each roll of 5+ instantly restores one shield.'

As stated in Strong Hold Assault further hits strike the original target, as blast weapons determine a number of hits for the models under the template, once the shield has been destroyed any left over hits can then be resolved on its original target, if there was an exception to blast weapons why would have included this in its rules.

As RAW rules written (and how rules have always been finalised in this state) I cant see why any left over hits from a blast weapon wouldn't continue to damage its original target.

2. If there is models from a unit that contain models inside and outside of the Void Shield Zone do you roll to wound and save until you reach the Void Shield Zone and then roll to Damage the Void Shield... As the whole unit isn't inside the Void Shield Zone not all of the unit is safe ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:42 pm 

If it is the way originally suggested, one D-Weapon blast will take the void shield down easily and nuke the stuff behind it.
If it is the way Gary has ruled, any Eldar player with the presence of mind to bring a wave serpent should have it down in nothing flat before the D-Weapon fires and nukes the stuff behind it.

Either way, Void Shields don't solve your D-Weapon problems so the FAQ isn't worth stressing over too much; unlike the weapons themselves the TO's ruling isn't going to be a game-breaker 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:37 pm 

Yes, it's hits, not shots, bit derppy on GW's side, but in this case I think it's rules as intended.

I'm not attending, so my interpretation has no bearing on what I wish to happen.