[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Horus Heresy at Outpost? - Page 3 - WestGamer
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:57 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:04 pm 

Quote:
But surely there is a place for bolter armed marines?

Otherwise wouldn't everyone just run support squads full of melta and plasma?
Support squads don't count toward your mandatory 2 Troops.

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:07 pm 

And tacticals with bolters have their place but 80 of them for 1000 points will leave you very short on other areas of the list at sub 3000 points

I see 2x20 marines with apothecaries in most of the games I play - personally I like them 10 man in rhinos.

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:06 pm 

Aw maaaaan. I've spent the last three days reading Raven Guard tactics, looking up painting advice, and starting on a test model. Then I go and read Rules of Engagement in the Age of Darkness collection and am reminded why Ultramarines aren't just vanilla marines.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. I just looked at the Ultramarines 30K rules and went back to being underwhelmed by them.

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

Last edited by Death By Monkeys on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:37 pm 

Quote:
So what would a 2000-2500 army look like, model count wise?
My 3000 point infantry heavy list usually has around 125.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:22 pm 

Quote:
Aw maaaaan. I've spent the last three days reading Raven Guard tactics, looking up painting advice, and starting on a test model. Then I go and read Rules of Engagement in the Age of Darkness collection and am reminded why Ultramarines aren't just vanilla marines.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. I just looked at the Ultramarines 30K rules and went back to being underwhelmed by them.
What's underwhelming about them?

I'm kind of torn what to do--it's a lot of marines to paint, but the game sounds really interesting and a lot more like the 40k I used to enjoy, and the background is really cool.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:57 pm 

I didn't think the ultras were that bad??
I havn't massively looked into it as such but guilimann has pretty decent rules and the troops are pretty solid, they dnt have the shenanigans like alpha legion or the iron hands but I still think there pretty good, I convinced a friend to do word bearers :) so hopefully we will be able to do a slow grow together and get the two armies themed together

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:08 pm 

Totally forgot that you can put me also down for a Questoris Knight Army ;-)

Regarding the points for 30k battles, I must say that so far all my games were around the 1500-2000 points and they were loads of fun. Sure you can't use a primarch, but I am not a big fan of using named characters in every game anyway.
I think someone mentioned that you can't use characters like Sigismund? These 'smaller' guys are just normal HQ choices, so why would you not be able to use them? Same applies to guys like Armillus Dynat, Tarviz and Abbadon to name a few. So maybe that is a good alternative instead of going straight to the heavy weights?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:05 pm 

the Ultramarine rules are far from underwhelming.
Just look at the first 4 legions from book 1 for underwhelming (my death guard have move through cover swamps. wow look out power gamers here I come).
There has been a bit of power creep that has worked its way into the later released legions. Ultras are pretty high on the food chain as the rules stand atm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:03 pm 

Sure, I understand that the rules for the first four chapters were certainly underwhelming - FW hadn't really gotten them dialed in yet. And maybe I'm underestimating the Ultras. I appreciate their re-rolling 1's to wound or for armour pen for previously targeted units, that's a cool mechanic. The charging thing seems situational. Their leadership buff is good, I know, particularly in a world without ATSKNF. But Invictarus Squads are good, but too expensive for low point games. Fulmentarus Terminators are good, but not necessarily better than Tyrant Legion, especially as they cost more. Locutarus Storm Squads do actually seem good and not that much more expensive than Assault Squads. And the Ultra RoW seems to have more taxes on it than the special rules it supplies are worth. Ventanus as a special character seems pretty bland and while Roboute Guilliman may be the boss, at the points levels I'm expecting to play for a while, I don't expect to see him on the table any time soon.

I mean, overall, they're not bad rules - there are some really interesting mechanics to play with, and fairly fluffy for the Ultramarines. But compared to the IH getting -1S on shots fire against them, IF getting +1 BS on all bolter shots and Stubborn, Alpha Legion getting to mimic another Legion's squad, Raven Guard getting Infiltrate - they just don't pop like some of the others do.

That said, considering I've never actually played a game of 30k, this is all armchair quarterbacking and I may not know a thing about what I'm talking about.

Not bad. Just underwhelming.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:20 pm 

You may not have played any games but your definitely got a good handle of the intracies of each of the legions.
Can't wait to play against what ever legion you choose it will be a nice break from getting smashed by the Mechanicum

Post subject: Horus Heresy at Outpost?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:44 am 

Upon further reflection I'm going to give it a miss I think. I went nuts painting 20 marines, I'd hate to know what happens after painting 30-40! Plus $250-odd is a lot of for 37 models, and you'll probably need two sets to make a decent army. I know it's a lot cheaper than FW prices, but it's still really expensive considering what I could buy for other games for that amount.

Also it's harder and harder to ignore GW's crappy practices. They've been sitting on this set for a long time,and suddenly they happen to pre-release it on the exact same day Beyond the Gates of Antares is launched? I'm reminded an awful lot of the Simpsons episode where they release Malibu Stacy to shut out the release of Lisa's doll.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:19 pm 

Ha Good Point Orange! Boo Hiss GW Taking people minds away from Gates!! haha
But I did look at the kit yesterday and the models are amazing the fact you get all the spare weapons and choices just like normal squads is really cool, but yes you will need 2 boxes for this also and its still a lot of marines to paint.

I had a quick demo of the game for those that are interested in the actual board game and it actually wasn't too bad but a bit like space hulk it will prob get old quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:57 pm 

Where in town had it, GG?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:31 pm 

No I went to gamesworkshop Morley
They have a board setup with the game on to celebrate the pre order opening, not sure if it will still be there, most likely.
The only model I don't like is the Contemptor dreadnought his legs look a little funny in person

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:24 pm 

Had a quick look on Saturday as well. The models do look really good. Very crisp details and the heavy weapons look great!
I have to agree regarding the Contemptor. Looks a bit too static and it's not only the legs, but especially the head that looks a bit odd. Not too sure what happened there, but it seems to be a bit out of place, even when compared to the two 'snap fit' characters (which look really cool)!
For 1000-1200 points it looks like a good deal. Will have to make a more serious effort in making a choice of allied space marines for my Mechanicum now.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next