[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Escalating Treachery - Mega Battle pics are up! - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:54 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:05 pm 

ESCALATING TREACHERY
A 30K Escalation Campaign
Pete’s 40K Skulls Road League did such a great job inspiring many of us to not only assemble, but fully paint 40K armies in 2015, I was inspired to run something similar for the growing number of us getting into 30K. As with Skulls Road, Escalating Treachery is intended to motivate players with scenarios and deadlines that will reward players for making consistent progress in building their 30K army over the period of league play. As with Skulls Road previously, players with existing painted armies are welcome to play, though this isn’t intended as a competitive league, but rather a narrative campaign.

In addition to being an Escalation League, because we’re using the Horus Heresy setting, we’ll be playing this as a campaign, with half the players each week playing to earn points for the Loyalists and half playing to earn points for the Traitors. Knowing that we won’t necessarily have even numbers of Loyalists and Traitors each week, points mechanics will be implemented to deal with the eventuality of Loyalist vs Loyalist and Traitor vs Traitor games.

Games will take place monthly at Outpost 6030 in South Perth (Tuesdays). Play as much or as little as you like.

While there won’t be prizes, I’ll try to have a raffle at the end of the campaign – the goal of the campaign is to play 30K and battle for the cause of the Warmaster or the Emperor!

SCHEDULE

Escalating Treachery will be held every 4th Tuesday of the month at Outpost 6030 in South Perth.

Tactical Strike 1 (200pts + 150pts HQs) – Tuesday 23 February
Tactical Strike 2 (300pts + 150pts HQs) – Tuesday 22 March
Age of Darkness (750pts) – Tuesday 26 April [CANCELLED DUE TO OUTPOST CLOSURE]
Zone Mortalis Age of Darkness (1000pts) – Tuesday 24 May
Age of Darkness (1500pts) – Tuesday 28 June
Age of Darkness (2000pts) – Tuesday 26 July
Age of Darkness (2500pts) – Tuesday 23 August
Age of Darkness (TBA) – Tuesday 27 September

With Outpost closed April 26, rather than trying to reschedule our 750pt matches, we're just going to skip April's game and jump to 1000pts in May. We're still working on the logistics for Zone Mortalis, so May's game will be a standard Age of Darkness game, using the Escalating Treachery, Jr. FOC described below.

RULES

The Tactical Strike games in February and March will be based on the Victory is Vengeances rules in Horus Heresy: Book 3, but a rules pack specifically for these games (and with modifications to the Victory is Vengeance rules) will be made available before the February game. These are skirmish-level games using warbands consisting of roughly between 10-20 models.

Age of Darkness and Zone Mortalis games will be played according to the rules in the Horus Heresy rulebooks, but using custom campaign scenarios for those nights. Games will be arranged the night of the Campaign games.

Army Lists can be chosen from any listed in the Horus Heresy books, although Solar Auxilia, Imperialis Militia, and Cults may not be used in the Tactical Strike games. More rules for army selection for Tactical Strike will be forthcoming. Similarly, rules or restrictions on using Primary Detachments and Allied Detachments will be specified prior to each month’s game – at this point armies must consist of only a Primary Detachment, with the option to add an Allied Detachment once we reach the 1500pts level (though this is subject to change).

April and May games (750 and 1000 points) will use the Escalating Treachery Jr. FOC.

1 HQ
1-2 Troops
0-1 Elite
0-1 Fast Attack
0-1 Heavy Support

Two important notes on this:

1) HQ - The Legion Support Officer rule is ignored at this level, meaning you could use a Master of Signal, Librarian, or Primus Medicae as your HQ without another HQ. Similarly, Word Bearers armies need to only select one HQ. If you choose a Delegatus for your HQ, you may choose a Rite of War (though only if you can meet the requirements within this FOC - so no RoWs needing 3 troops or 2 HQs). Special characters may also be used in these lists.

2) Troops - You must have at least 1 Compulsory Troops unit (Tactical, Assault, or Breacher), but if you choose to include a 2nd Troops, you may include a Support Squad (Tactical Support, Recon).

Beginning in June (1500pts), games will use the standard Age of Darkness FOC. Allies and Fortifications are allowed and beginning in July for 2000pt games, Lords of War will also be allowed.

PARTICIPANTS

If you’re interested in joining the campaign, please drop a post below and include what army/legion you plan to play and whether you’d like to play for the Loyalists or Traitors – don’t feel bad if your army plans change, either, no one will hold it against you!

TACTICAL STRIKE

All right folks, Tactical Strike 1 is approaching rapidly on Tuesday, 23 February. Tactical Strike 1 will be 2 45-minute games using modified Victory is Vengeance rules provided in the link below. Games will be played on 4'x4' tables.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_rRer ... sp=sharing

Please read through the rules packet and get working on your lists. I encourage you to get started early on your lists as this is a very different way of creating an army from our usual 40k/30k methods. Please PM me or post questions you have about building lists here.

ROUND 1 – 008.M31
The massacre on Istvaan V is a year past. While devastating, the Word Bearers assault on Calth has failed to destroy the Ultramarines and fighting continues in the Underworld War. Battle lines have been drawn between those loyal to the Warmaster and those who continue to follow the Emperor. The battles in our Escalating Treachery campaign span many worlds over a range of systems, but each victory adds to the tally of the opposing sides.

Escalating Treachery Round 1 – 23 February 2016, Outpost 6030

2 Tactical Strike games – 150 points HQ + 200 points, 45 minutes
Victory is Vengeance Missions which will be announced before each game. Tactical Strike Force composition is as described in the Tactical Strike rules packet.

Special rules for game 1:

Take pride in your colours!
An objective held by painted models at the end of the game is worth twice its value

Have faith in suspicion

Make a note of the first model destroyed in your strike force. In game 2, this model automatically passes Initiative tests for Reaction Fire in response to a Charge declared on the model or its Ad-hoc Unit. If part of an Ad-hoc Unit, the model confers this ability on the rest of the unit.

Special rules for game 2:

Take the fight to them
If you won game 1, models in your strike force gain Furious Charge and painted models also gain Fleet (models that already have the Furious Charge special ability gain Rage).

Red wunz go fasta!
If you lost or drew game 1, all models in your strike force gain Hit and Run and painted models Run and Charge an extra +1”.

ROUND 2 – 008.M31
While the Loyalist forces in the recent Shadow Wars skirmishes outmaneuvered their Traitor opponents toward strategic victories, the Traitors succeeded in leaving a trail of havoc even in their defeat. These small Loyalist bands have managed to collect more of their kin and have succeeding in surrounding Horus’s warriors, hoping to finish them off. Little do they know that the Traitor forces have also bolstered their numbers and are eagerly awaiting a supply drop that may turn the tide in their favour.

Escalating Treachery Round 2 – 22 March 2016, Outpost 6030

2 Tactical Strike games – 150 points HQ + 300 points, 45 minutes
Victory is Vengeance Missions which will be announced before each game. Tactical Strike Force composition is as described in the Tactical Strike rules packet.

Special rules for Game 3:

On time, on target
If your force is fully painted, your scatter roll for airdropped objectives is 2D6” instead of 3D6”.

Rewards of valour

At the end of the game, choose a Troop model that destroyed an enemy model in close combat. That Troop model gains 1 Action Point to spend in the next game as if it were a Lieutenant.

Special rules for Game 4:

Fully strapped, always packed
If your force in Game 3 controlled two of the three objectives, you do not have to make any Ammo rolls in Game 4. If your force in Game 3 controlled all 3 objectives or you tabled your opponent, you do not need to make Ammo rolls and your Armour is considered to be at the Plentiful level.

Never give up, never surrender!
If you lost or drew Game 3 and your Hero was removed during the battle, he does not suffer a Consequence of Failure for this game. (“By Grabthar’s hammer, what a savings!”)

ROUND 3 – 008.M31
The survivors of the Shadow Wars skimishes have begun to find more of their own, coalescing from small bands into larger fighting forces. Through contact with other forces, theatre commanders see the potential for these groups in the battlefield, but need to determine their fighting capabilities. After months of battling the enemy, your forces are now pitted Loyalist vs Loyalist and Traitor vs Traitor in military exercises to determine your force’s role in the battles to come.

Escalating Treachery Round 3 – 24 May 2016, Outpost 6030

1 Age of Darkness game – 1000 points
A custom Wargames Age of Darkness Mission will be announced before the game. Force composition will use the Escalating Treachery Jr. FOC described above (please note the loosened restrictions on HQ and Troops).

Special rules for Round 3:

Prepare for the worst
If your army is fully painted (three colours or more with completed basing), you may choose one of the following for your army:
- All of your infantry gain the Infiltrate special rule. Infantry embarked in Dedicated Transports may Infiltrate their transport; or
- +1 to all Reserve Rolls during the game.

Show your worth
Killpoints made by your Warlord or the unit your Warlord is attached to are worth double.

Please make sure to see me at the conclusion of each game so I can record results.

I’ve already got some that have said they’re playing next week, but if you haven’t already, post to let me know if you’ll be playing and what army you’ll be playing. Remember, your force doesn’t have to be completely painted – so don’t let that keep you from playing.

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

Last edited by Death By Monkeys on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 23 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:34 pm 

I'll be in Jacob. I'm hoping to run loyal Imperial Fists, if I can manage to kick this mood I'm in to paint my death company army and get started painting on the fists. If you need numbers for traitors I'm also fine to play my deathguard.
I'd also recommend a restriction on the knight questorus lists

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:55 pm 

Quote:
I'd also recommend a restriction on the knight questorus lists
You know, I thought about that, but at what point level are they playable?

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:04 pm 

2000 where every one else can have a lord of war

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:58 pm 

My Knights find this rather discriminating! :wink:

Anyway, I am still in with my good old Mechanicum. There is just so much more to try out for this army, I guess it will be a very long time (if ever) before I try out a Legion. If so probably Dark Angles, but I guess that would not make the campaign...

Looking forward to the games!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:19 am 

As its running a different time to the bolt action I'm in with my traitor death guard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:21 pm 

Quote:
As its running a different time to the bolt action I'm in with my traitor death guard
Yep. Pete and I coordinated specifically so as not to conflict with each other's leagues. Awesome - I'll put you on the list.

Quote:
2000 where every one else can have a lord of war
Doing a quick search on the Heresy 30K Army List forum, the lowest I've seen for a Questoris list is 1245. While it's do-able, I don't know that it will be easy to use for an Escalation league. In the immortal words of Solomon Weil, "We'll blow up that bridge when we come to it."

And Timo - I don't think you need to worry about your Knights being discriminated against when your Mechanicum is more than capable of handling the competition - particularly at lower point levels. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:41 pm 

Quote:
And Timo - I don't think you need to worry about your Knights being discriminated against when your Mechanicum is more than capable of handling the competition - particularly at lower point levels. :wink:
I just stick with the slogan of one of my favorite companies from ze fatherland "Vorsprung durch Technik"
Fits my Mechanicum as well ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:04 am 

Since I was a good boy I found the HH box set in my Xmas stocking so I am in :)

Thinking Dark Angels since I have the Storm Eagle ready to go.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:52 pm 

I'm in with my Sons of Horus. I've really got to get some infantry done!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:15 pm 

With my new toys from Santa... I mean forgeworld... I will bring either traitor word bearers or loyal Vlka Fenryka

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:52 pm 

I may bring my Iron Hands down or my Mechanicum....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:37 pm 

I did a bit of shopping while on holidays in London and bought 2 Betrayal at Calth boxsets so i think i might make them into some Blood Angels and hope they bring out there book sometime this year :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:32 pm 

Apparently theyll be getting rules in Feb. But no special units, just their Rites of War and maybe some special characters. Im very tempted to start some Blood Angels too.... im having real trouble picking a legion, which is the only reason i havnt committed to this yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:59 pm 

Reading the rumors about book six, I might change my mind and get a little allied detachment of loyal Iron Warriors. That is if the Shattered Legion rules are any good that are supposed to be in there. I always liked the short story "The Iron Within" in the "Age of Darkness" book, but would like it even better if there would be certain (fluffy) rules to represent the 'wrong' faction allegiance of the chosen Legion translated into the game.