[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Advice for Infinity? - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:57 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
 Post subject: Advice for Infinity?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:04 am 

All right, so I've decided to take the plunge into Infinity and was hoping to get some recommendations from Outpost's Infinity players.

Is there any one Faction that is better as a starter than others?

Are there any Faction starter packs that are better deals than others as far as cost for the models and usability of the models?

What Factions are already well-represented in Outpost's Infinity community?

Are there any Factions I should actively avoid?

Cheers!

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

Post subject: Re: Advice for Infinity?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:12 am 

I'll leave advice for the experts, but are you coming to the 40k event on Sunday? The Infinity tournament will be on at the same time, so you'll be able to have a good look at all the stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:51 am 

Quote:
I'll leave advice for the experts, but are you coming to the 40k event on Sunday? The Infinity tournament will be on at the same time, so you'll be able to have a good look at all the stuff.
I would if I could, but I've got my girls on Sunday (and doubt I could convince them that we should come check out the forces :wink: )

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:04 pm 

On phone so answering point by point is tricky. Heres the short easy answer. PanO. To everything.

They're straightforward to play.

The starters are cost effective.

They are over represented. And should be avoided because of that. :)

Seriously, pick a faction you like the look and or colour of and just go from there. I recommend the basic starters over the Sectorial lists and recommend avoiding Ariadna as they dont get as many cool toys as everyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:44 pm 

The only starter that isn't playable out of the box is Shasvastii from memory as there is no Lt for you to use, but that is quite easy fixed by buying an Aswang. Though if you are looking at things I would consider basically the models and if you are happy with them, the fluff for the models, and what style of play you like the most (you want a TAG list probably Pan O as they have TAGs galore, want hackers look at Nomads, want giant werewolves go Ariadna and so on). This is a pretty flexible game where most lists have a good chance to most scenarios, which means you can get away with combinations that don't only work.
I like to also say that you are on the right track by asking questions, and looking a starter box to build from.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:52 pm 

I'd like to include a TAG as I really like the look of some of them and frankly, the bikes look pretty damn awesome, too. I'll admit I was considering the USAriadna pack with the bike - I dug the look of it, but the advice of 'Don't start with Ariadna, they don't get the cool toys' is one I've seen a few places.

I also dig the look of the remotes and auxbots. Those are somewhat appealing to me, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:09 pm 

Yu Jing has both TAGs and bikes!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:59 pm 

TAGs, remotes and Auxbots, PanO, YuJing and Nomads all have in spades. From there, I'd just eyeball models to see whats pretty. Nomads have a lot of sweet medium and light infantry, amazing Hackers and some cool tricks. Yu Jing have lots of solid heavy infantry choices, Ninjas and the aforementioned bikers who are also Samurai. And PanO get all the crazy tech in large amounts on abusive models. Like Swiss Guard. Heavy Infantry with heavy weapons, awesome stats and Predator camo.

And when I said Ariadna didnt get toys, I meant robots. I did forget about the Werewolves.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:02 pm 

So, I spent some time looking at the Infinity website and data-sphere.net, look at the models that interested me and reading up on the "Starting with..." series, taking a look at how to expand from the various starter sets.

If PanO wasn't already overrepresented at the club, I'd be awfully tempted to go that way, just because they have an awful lot of pretty models. The Cutter has got great lines and their auxbots look terrific.

But as I looked at the other factions, I started looking at the Nomads - in particular their Hellcat, Tomcat, and Wildcat models. Those all really speak to me as what Infinity looks like to me. The Fast Pandas are fun and I really dig the Spektrs and Zeros. And the Mobile Brigada really encapsulate the aesthetic I like.

Similarly, though, the Haqqislam Jannisaries have excellent lines and I really like the contemporary warfare look to their light infantry. And the Kum Bikers are badass. I very much want to convert a Kasym Beg to look like Lobo. But I was a little disappointed at their single TAG. That was until I saw Special Deterrance Group Azra'il! Holy cow! I would forgo having a TAG to play with those guys.

So, I've got some more thinking to do, but I would still LOVE to hear others' input!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:16 pm 

Tossing up between Haqqis and Nomads is a toughie. I have both. The differences arent too huge.

Haqqis lean more towards light infantry, can take more and cheaper Doctors than any other faction and get access to some crazy stuff, namely the Fiday and some really solid medium infantry like Sekbans.

Nomads get a lot of good Hackers, solid Remotes, again good light and medium infantry and also get the HMC through the Szalamandra TAG. Its dopey looking but is one of the craziest weapons in the game. They also get excellent drop troops.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:28 pm 

A lot of people have several factions, I have Combined and also starting up some Yu Jing (JSA sectorial). So don't feel threatened if you think you are playing the "popular" faction, also I believe that at Outpost there isn't many Pan O players off the top of my head.

Though if you are set on Nomads or Haqqislam, any of the starter boxes stand out for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:18 am 

If you're going for Haqqislam, the Qapu Khalqi starter box is a good value.

For Yu Jing, the ISS starter box is a good value. Even the Pheasant Agent has value nowadays as Hacker.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:38 pm 

So what was the end result? Have we got a new Nomad player in our midst? :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:11 pm 

last time I talked to Jacob I think he was going with yu jing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:03 pm 

Actually, at this point I'm leaning heavily towards Haqq - I like the Qapu Khalqi sectorial, but will probably start with a regular Haqq starter so I can get Solid Snake and a good set of Ghulam.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable