[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
My planning for Ultimates 2013 - WestGamer
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:12 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:15 am 

So I am planning ahead.

I have not got enough match practise to be anywhere near ready to even try to get a wildcard spot this year and NO chance of coming over any time soon either.

So - I am starting my campaign now to start training for getting in in 2013.

Obviously as qualification is based on rankings across the year and not living in WA, regular qualification is not an option for me. So I need to impress the community sufficiently in the lead up to be nominated and then be appealing enough to warrant an invite.

So... What do I need to do - what are the goals I need to achieve in this year to be nominated and considered?

I already have a fully painted force of circle over about 6+ casters and will likely expand that in the new year with Cassius and Morhvana.

So set me a limit to achieve so I can come back and play in the tourney I used to run!

Post subject: Re: Ultimates 2013
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:41 am 

I think you area already an active member of the WMH community, although we lost you there for a bit :P

so just play MOAR games in Brizzy and tell us your tales.

competing over here once or twice will not hurt, but it is by no means essential (well to me anyway) it would really just give you ability to meet the community so they can put a face to a name.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:02 am 
Site Admin

Given that we already have one or two interstate/international wildcard nominees this year who will be decided upon after nominations close this weekend - I'll be much better positioned to answer this question for you after that. I don't really want to reveal too much about the thought process that will go into it until then.

That said - I think you will already have a pretty good idea having contributed to selections yourself a few times. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:06 am 

I know the selection process from the judges POV... I just don't want to be that jerk who nominates himself.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:11 am 
Site Admin

I don't think there's anything wrong with nominating yourself at all. I can't speak for the other judges this year (though I suspect they may feel the same), but I consider a self nomination with solid justification just as valid as any other - and often the person themselves may have a better case to put forward if they can provide the necessary detail of their contributions/accomplishments.

The only self nominations that don't look great are the ones with nothing to back them up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:17 am 

Don't disagree with that. However, that is not my aim here.

I want to know what the players would want to ensure I offer up good fun, hard games at ultimates. As I cannot qualify by the normal means I want to see what they would expect in order to be considered over a local in their eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:44 am 

Quote:
I want to know what the players would want to ensure I offer up good fun, hard games at ultimates. As I cannot qualify by the normal means I want to see what they would expect in order to be considered over a local in their eyes.
I would want the most broken and abusive list you could create; something that burns the eyes to simply look upon and screams abuse to anyone that doesn't even play the game. Maybe a high placing or two at a tournament somehwere as well... That, and your usual awesome gaming attitude ("winning is a theme" :D ) would get a vote from me for sure (not that I'm a likely WMH contender, but as a member of the gaming public) :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:30 am 

Quote:
I know the selection process from the judges POV... I just don't want to be that jerk who nominates himself.
Yeah, I don't like the whole "nominate yourself" thing either. If you get an invite, it should be cause someone else thinks you're a good player.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:36 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I don't like the whole "nominate yourself" thing either. If you get an invite, it should be cause someone else thinks you're a good player.
Well, ultimately it is because 3 judges need to think that - and they'll be the harshest critics of all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:40 am 

Quote:

On the behalf of those people who have nominated themselves though, most are doing it as a way to show their interest and get other people to second them, and most have a really good reason to want to be included (TOs, people out of state, people who've almost made the score but couldn't quite). I certainly don't see it as a jerk move at all.

And with that little soap-box moment out of the way, you have no worries anyway; You have been nominated. :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:57 pm 

Batreps. Pictures of the pretty minis. Bribes.

Keep everyone abreast of your achievements over east, and let them know how much you wanna come over and whoop us all at Ultimates :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:15 pm 

Quote:
Well said. Personally, I would prefer that the nomination cannot be from yourself, but that's not my call. And that's never going to change.

Touchdowns - 6 For - 3 Against

Casualties - 3 For - 11 Against

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Personally, I would prefer that the nomination cannot be from yourself, but that's not my call. And that's never going to change.
There's actually two very important reasons why we accept self nominations in the Ultimates Wildcard process.

Firstly, it opens up an avenue for people who are not necessarily part of the "in-crowds" or particularly well known - but are high achievers nonetheless. There are plenty of people over the years who have been nominated more because they have been well known or liked (for various reasons) amongst the community, but would not necessarily make the best choice as an Ultimates contender due to lack of actual gaming or hobby activity on the scene. Conversely there are many who probably don't get nominated who probably should - simply because they're not the first name that springs to mind. This allows for people who consider themselves deserving to throw their hat in the ring rather than placing themselves at the mercy of the popular vote.

Secondly, because it is often true that the people who have the best source of information about why a player is worthy to attend the Ultimates, and has a very good case to present as well as detailed knowledge of their achievements - is often the player in question themselves. I've seen HEAPS of nominations over the years that have been very "surface level" and not really made a particularly strong case - even though with a particular player's achievements or activity a much stronger case could quite easily have been made. Sometimes that player may get lucky in that the judges are much more aware of why the candidate would make a much better choice than the person making the nomination is aware of - but often this may get missed as well.

I've actually started (as of last year) keeping a file on people who have particularly impressed me throughout the year for when the Wildcards come around, so that it's not just the last couple of months activity that is looked at but rather the whole tournament season. Consistency is key - and this is what matters. Not so much where the nomination came from (but the player still needs to be nominated!). ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:52 pm 

... And as the lead TO on this, t is your right to do so... Hence why I said personally...

:mrgreen:

Touchdowns - 6 For - 3 Against

Casualties - 3 For - 11 Against

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:55 pm 

Quote:
Don't disagree with that. However, that is not my aim here.

Baked goods seem to help!

(They work for me!)