[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
WestGamer Ultimate Warhammer 40,000 2014 - WestGamer
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:46 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

NOVEMBER 15th & 16th 2014

Ultimate Tournament Information
The Ultimate Tournaments are invitational events for the miniature wargaming hobbyists of WA where the best of the field for each featured game system can take part to compete for the honour of being the ultimate champion of the tournament season. Furthermore, the Ultimate Tournaments are about promoting the local tournament scene in WA and venerating those players worthy of their efforts in the hobby.

The Ultimate Warhammer 40,000 players consist of 14 contenders who have qualified by placing highly at other events during the year, and 2 "Wildcard" contenders who are nominated by the public and voted in by the event Judges. Wildcard nominations for 2014 will open on the 1st Sept (via a separate thread). Full details on the 2014 qualifying process for the Ultimates can be found here.

Tournament Format
- This is a Warhammer 40,000 event using the 7th edition rules.
- Army size is 1800 points (Battle-forged). Special & named characters are permitted. Formations are permitted. Up to 2 detachments (primary +1) may be used as per the 7th edition rules. Forgeworld & Imperial Armour rules and lists will NOT be in use at this event.
- 6 rounds of play over 2 days.
- Players will be matched randomly for rounds 1-3, and seeded according to current generalship ranking for rounds 4-6.
Upstairs function room, The Saint George Hotel,
2 Morris Rd, Innaloo
Venue Information
- Easy access by bus & a short distance from the train line (Stirling Station)
- Ample parking available available
- This is a licenced venue, and as such all attendees under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for the duration of their attendance.

Food & Drink
Attendees will have access to a fully licensed bar within the event function room (as well as in the main hotel area downstairs), and competitors aged 18+ may make full use of the facilities. There is also a fantastic lunch & dinner menu available to order from at the bar. There are plenty of places to eat available within short walking distance as well. Please note however, that food purchased from outside the hotel may not be brought back onto the premises.

Players Guide
Full details of the event are covered within the players guide available to download HERE. A full event data pack including scenarios and scoring guides can also be downloaded from HERE.

Ticketing
Qualifying players will be contacted individually regarding tickets for the event.

Contacts
If you have any questions about the event, then either e-mail:

ultimate@westgamer.com

or post your questions here and we will endeavor to respond as quickly as possible.
2014 Ultimate Warhammer 40,000 Contenders:
Key = [Invite Sent / Attendance Confirmed / Paid / List received]
#1 - Neil Sorensen
#2 - Richard Owen
#3 - Mark Bruce
#4 - Matthew Bell
#5 - Thomas White
#6 - Alex Danaford
#7 - Tyson Linthorne
#8 - Duane Nunn
#9 - Troy Kealley
#10 - Gary Danaford
#11 - Matthew Davey
#12 - Rhys Kingdon
#13 - Daniel Handley
#14 - Hugh Davis
#15 - Jake O'Grady
#16 (Wildcard) - Marcus Banting
Let the countdown begin!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:39 pm 

Given you are allowing lords of war, fortifications, formations and so on - can you shed some light on to the whole "no forgeworld" part?

Surely anyone playing at the event will be well versed and have the rules accessible?

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:40 am 

I am also curious as does this mean escalation is allowed?

Since there is a FAQ stating that certain forgeworld units (like the Warhound) are usuable in escalation.

I agree with massen.

if you're allowing Stompas and whatever, why cut out some people's fun just because their titans, like my Warhound, aren't in the 'escalation' book. Tho there is a list of forgeworld stuff that can be used in escalation.

There's nothing in forgeworld that is worse than what is in regular 40k at this point.

This is an elite event. People can do their research.

But since Knights seem allowed, at least I can run my Knight force. Just would love the Warhound to be there too, would look awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Several reasons why Forgeworld/Imperial Armour weren't included, but at the heart of it - we have a brand new edition of the game that is largely unexplored at this point. There is plenty for both the players and the Judges to deal with already without adding that layer of complication.

As usual, it may be an option for future years, but just didn't align with the event vision for this one.

As an aside, the pros and cons of Forgeworld inclusion are well documented and are very familiar ground. I have no intention of being drawn into an argument about it. I'm sorry if it's not your individual preference - but that's how it's going to be this year.

Further format questions will be responded to after 1st Sept when the players guide goes up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:18 pm 

Good answer.

And on a personal note, one of my biggest regrets about effectively taking a year off 40K is missing one of your fantastic Ultimate events. I hope it's another great success!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

You're always welcome as a spectator Matt! Just no streaking.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:19 pm 

I will be defending the title this year with my glorious girls.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:47 pm 

Well ull defently surprise ppl if you really do bring sister, though i think you have better armies to defend the title with, can they take a warhound ??? The super heavies in Perth are quiet largerly the most devestating thing of 40k at the moment.

Its defently making me question if I even bother going. Which is annoying as Ive worked really hard this for my place on the ladder to be rolled over their addition.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:53 am 

Quote:
Well ull defently surprise ppl if you really do bring sister, though i think you have better armies to defend the title with, can they take a warhound ??? The super heavies in Perth are quiet largerly the most devestating thing of 40k at the moment.

Its defently making me question if I even bother going. Which is annoying as Ive worked really hard this for my place on the ladder to be rolled over their addition.
Luke said no Forgeworld.

So Imperials aint got no titans, sadly.

And who cares about winning :P

Already done that :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:00 am 

Quote:
So Imperials aint got no titans, sadly.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:37 am 

Wow super heavies r in but the main faction of the game doesnt get any... Seem balanced I guess...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:55 am 

Quote:
Ive worked really hard this for my place.
:cry:

Does worked really hard mean you've attended more tournaments than a lot of people are able to, with a list crafted to win given the rules set of the time :wink:

The game has changed again, as it has done through out its existence and it will continue to change as long as GW wants to stay in business. Lords of War are in, "adapt, improvise, overcome" as a wise man once said, or buy a Revenant :twisted:

I didn't suggest banning OP Grav Guns last year or OP Paladin formations previously, so I find it annoying when there are suggestions to ban particular units because it upsets the balance of power.

I have absolutely no issue with Luke running Ultimates as he sees fit, it's his baby and if he has a particular vision that's his call. If he was to say no Lords of War, that's not an onerous restriction as it can be applied equally to all lists and most players can field the required points value in "conventional" units.

My only concern is the decision to exclude Forgeworld lists and rules, this does seem to exclude genuine hobbyists from using their armies of choice at Ultimates. If you are worried about OP rules and units, it seems strange to exclude 30K lists and Elysian Beach Buggies when escalation allows Titans. Also the proliferation of codices, supplements, formations, data slates and White Dwarf units etc really makes it hard to see how allowing Forgeworld confuses things any further.

Luke and I discussed this at Tactics the other day and my understanding is that the choice to exclude Forgeworld seems to be based on Luke's personal preference for Ultimates which is his call.

Besides instead of working hard why not enjoy the game, build your Thunderhawk and use that at Ultimates :D
Quote:
Wow super heavies r in but the main faction of the game doesnt get any... Seem balanced I guess...
Plenty of Space Marine Super Heavies in REDACTED

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:32 am 

I never said we shouldnt allow them just that they are stupidly powerful. Grav guns where hardly OP as it one weapon in one codex which only really affected one unit type in the game, no where near as bad as Tau and what they can do army wide against every unit. Also with a 1 in 6 chance in every shot.

Also I didnt attend every event this year I have missed at less 3 (current standings).

I have to right to not like some things of the game as most people do, im just voicing those dislikes and not sating dont allow them, give giving a reflection that some people might want to be aware of.

But if no one cares, just say so and ill step down and out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:34 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Luke and I discussed this at Tactics the other day and my understanding is that the choice to exclude Forgeworld seems to be based on Luke's personal preference for Ultimates which is his call.
No, that's the assumption you made. I'd prefer not to be misquoted please mate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have to right to not like some things of the game as most people do, im just voicing those dislikes and not sating dont allow them, give giving a reflection that some people might want to be aware of.
Yes, you do - however as this is the Ultimate 40K 2014 event thread, there may be another more appropriate place to discuss them. Anything relating to event information other than what appears in the opening post of this thread is speculation until the Players Guide comes out on 1st Sept.