It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:30 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:31 pm 

Recently I've been chatting with Reaper about Flames of War, and revisited the BF website to find there are now quite a few fan built "Firestorm" campaigns. Given the 70th anniversary of D-Day was not so long ago, I'm kind of keen do give the Caen campaign a crack.

For those not familiar with the system it's basically a number of battles per turn spread over a fixed number of turns. That naturally gives what every campaign needs, some kind of time bounds so everyone knows what to expect and it doesn't just drag on to a dwindling death. In the Caen campaign example thats 5-8 battles (FoW Games) per turn, over 5 turns, with a few pre-amble beach and parachute landings to kick the things off.

Where:
I have no solid plans on where, but Reaper and I both live on the Northern outskirts of the Metro. If you are interested and live in Mandurah, now's the time to say that :D I'd like to at least have a kick off all together in the one place, and likewise for a grand finale, but games in between don't neccesarily have to follow that format.

When:
Probably around Late August to September. Getting it all punched out in a month or two will help maintain that momentum, but I realise that these days everyone has many gamign commitments :D Math tells me 40 games over 8 weeks is about 5 games a week, not something Reaper and I could manage between the two of us. However, for 10 people thats a game a week. Also, more people = more fun.

Game mechanics:
Probably goes without saying this would be Late war forces. Not particularly fussed about what forces. If we have Desert Italians defending the Atlantic wall from Winter Soviets, so be it. It's about having fun at this point, not historical accuracy. Obviuously that's not going to make for an awesome photoshoot, but with respect to the campaign it's battle results that really matter. A roughly equal balance of Axis vs Allies would be good. A close approximation of forces would also be good... that is, Armoured Companies do not generally excel at Parachute landings.

The campaign also suits casual players well. You don't neccesarily have to play every week, but what I am looking for here is a core of people to see out most of the campaign, as well as interest from casual players. Each side will need to select a general who will look after the overall attack/defence plan. These will be selected from people who commit 100% to the 8 weeks, and willing to put in a little more effort to communicate with their respective generals. If you are reading this then you have the means, if you can reply to this post, then you have the method, all you need now is the motivation ;)

Here's the link for the campaign material but no experience with Firestorm is required, no additional purchases needed* as all the requisite information is in the campaign pack.

Why Soul Raven Forum?
You may have noticed that this has been posted to the Soul Raven Forum. As this is Reaper and myself, we'd be looking to get some posts up on our website, photo and results, etc. Probably track the map and force progress through the website as well. That can all come later once we have enouigh willing commanders.

Sound interesting? Post here!

*Needed: I take no responsibility if you feel the urge to go out and buy that army you always wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:29 pm 

Here's the map for Firestorm: Caen

OP: Updated with link to campaign page at Flames of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:37 pm 

I'm intrigued!

More FoW is always good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:17 am 

sounds good, not much of a fow fan but this sounds great.
did sword beach to pegasus bridge using spearhead rules in april and loved it. may look in on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:48 am 

Well as I have been in on these discussions from the begining, I guess I'm in. :D

I'll bring the US 2nd Armoured Division FTW :mrgreen:

WWW.SOULRAVEN.COM
WWW.BRAWLBB.COM
Official MERCS Black Ops Representative

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:19 am 

@Ecky: What force(s) can you bring to the table?

@Ragnar: Sounds good man. Do you think you'd join in? What force(s) do you have?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:33 pm 

Picked up Panzers yesterday, PaK's today... this FoW talk is dangerous :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:21 pm 

Currently:

Brits
- Paratroopers
- Welsh Guard Armoured Recce Squadron

Germans
- Stug Company
- beginnings of a Panther Company

The smart thing to do would be nothing, but now I feel like finishing off the Panthers, AND starting the Tetrarch company I've always wanted...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:16 pm 

Would love to if in September. have late war Gerry.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:35 am 

Starts of ss here :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:11 pm 

Cool. Well I'm willing to hold off to a September start if that's more inclusive.

Looks like we are go for D-Day 3 months late :) Does 7th September at TGA work for everyone?

Anyone have a preference for Axis or Allies? I've got Brit Para's, German Para's and German PzGrenediers. Happy to load out the brit paras for the initial attack.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:18 pm 

Going through my gear this weekend I discovered I own a lot of Americans!

Based off this I am intending on joining in and running an American Tank Destroyer Company.... :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:19 pm 

Quote:
Based off this I am intending on joining in and running an American Tank Destroyer Company.... :)
Lemme guess, because you need more of them :D

Important note: You don't have to run the same force every time, or even the same army. Probably advisable you stick to the same side though. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:32 pm 

I have both Armoured Rifle and Paratrooper Companies but combining the two gives me just about everything I need for the Tank Destroyer Company with minimal purchases, also I can't help but love the M10 Tank Destroyer so this gives me the perfect opportunity to field them :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:44 pm 

You know this isnt world of tanks right? M10 company vs infantry may not do so well ;)