[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Armourdale 2011 Results - WestGamer
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:55 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
 Post subject: Armourdale 2011 Results
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:47 pm 

The weekend of the 3rd and 4th of December 2011 saw an Apocalyptic clash between 16 Armies totalling an awesome 96,000 points worth of forces at their command.

Congratulations to all those who took part in Armourdale 2011. Below is a list of the winners of the event, the full details of the rankings for each category can be found here.
Overfiend: Overall Tournament Winner (Open)
'Tell That to Takagi'
Gregg Johnson and Scott Hawkins

Overfiend (16 and under)
Blood And Bile
Alexander Danaford

Warmaster: Individual Generalship (Open)
Knights Crusade
Sean Biss

Warmaster: Individual Generalship (16 and under)
Blood And Bile
Alexander Danaford

Masters of the Chapter: Team Generalship (Open)
'Tell That To Takagi'
Gregg Johnson and Scott Hawkins

Masters of the Chapter (16 and under)
Blatantly Obvious Distraction
Josh Brown and Sam Skinner

Honour Guard: Team Sportsmanship (Open)
Totenkopf
Ted O’Meara and Darryl Williams

Honour Guard: Team Sportsmanship (16 and under)
Cloud Burst
Jame Kealley and Liam Viskovich

Medallion Crimson: Individual Sportsmanship (Open)
Strike Force Armageddon
Daryl Gordon

Medallion Crimson: Individual Sportsmanship (16 and under)
Blood And Bile
Alexander Danaford

WarKraft: Composition (Peer judged)
Operation Desert Storm
Troy Kealley

WarKraft (Organiser judged)
Fallen Hunters
Ben Donnellan

Painting Award for best unit or Vehicle (open, as judged by your peers)
Ashlin Donnellan
Painting Award for best unit or Vehicle (16 and under, as judged by your peers)
Liam Viskovich
Painting Award for best cohesive force (open, as judged by your peers)
Troy Kealley
Painting Award for best cohesive force (16 and under, as judged by your peers)
Alex Hazell
Best Custom Formation/Data Sheet
Killer Whale
Gary Danaford
The Apocalypse will return in
Armourdale 2012
Rise of the Resin!
8-9 December 2012
Thanks to all of you who attended and to Richard and Russ who ran the event and to Evan, Grant, Alex and Keith for helping with the setup and packing away.

Armourdale will be back in 2012, please feel free to provide any feedback you can think of as I intend to make some changes to next year’s event.

Cheers
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 am 

My feedback:
* Good to see lots of terrain on the tables - made it fairer on those who couldn't afford lots of long range firepower!
* Potentially 6K is a bit big. I was lucky to get 3 turns and sometimes only got 2.
* Perhaps a mixup of missions for some variety/challenge? e.g. for a finale make the last game an 'annihilation' style game (since the ranking at this point should pit the hardest vs the hardest - force them to smash each other for victory :twisted: !)

Post subject: Armourdale 2011 Results
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:19 pm 

No more battle reports? Id be interested to know how mega battle went too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:11 pm 

Quote:
My feedback:
* Good to see lots of terrain on the tables - made it fairer on those who couldn't afford lots of long range firepower!
Word!
Quote:
* Potentially 6K is a bit big. I was lucky to get 3 turns and sometimes only got 2.
Agreed. 5k has been enough in previous years, really gives you enough while still being 'not enough', forcing hard choices in army prep. 6k allowed us to fit everything in and then some, and yeah, I imagine it did make the turns that much longer. Still, you can never have TOO many points, right? ;)
Quote:
* Perhaps a mixup of missions for some variety/challenge? e.g. for a finale make the last game an 'annihilation' style game (since the ranking at this point should pit the hardest vs the hardest - force them to smash each other for victory :twisted: !)
Ah, well, our army certainly wasn't 'the hardest' (sooo many squishy bikes and landspeeders), but did well due to playing to the rules (ie scoring and denying enemy scoring came first, killing came second). And as the aforementioned problem of running out of time was common, annihilation missions wouldn't really work in this format. Still, mixing up the missions in some way would be fun. :)

Gotta say, however, that I was very happy with how the event was run, and other than bringing the points back to 5k I'd be happy to play next year with the same rules. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:09 am 

Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming.

Having played this year, I have a few ideas myself regarding changes that will allow my Tau to win next time hopefully bring some balance back to the event :wink:

I will be testing the various scenarios under actual event conditions (eg beer in hand) over the next few weeks whilst I'm on holidays :D Originally we changed to the cumulative objective scoring scenario to avoid the last turn objective grab. However this has created the 2nd player turn objective grab issue.

Armourdale 2012 will return to the predetermined deployment zone and I will get my Terrain Committee to build proper objective markers/terrain features. The random deployment used this year slowed the start of the games and gave the team that got the vital objective in their deployment zone a distinct advantage.

I will also review the force size as well, I liked 6000 points but also had trouble playing in a timely fashion. Two of my games only went for two rounds, which mean't I only got two shooting phases in which to unleash heck but more importantly only got 2 beer phases :)

6000 points allowed me to field a Tau force that could afford to use Markerlights to full effect, but this really slowed the game down. Hopefully 6th edition will make all Markerlights Networked so you don't have to double handle the shooting so much. I also made the mistake of fielding my XV88s and XV8s as single model units which whilst tactically flexible took a long time to play.

I'm also looking at imposing some form of force organisation on the armies. Possibly a maximum number of units such as twenty, which would work out a 300 points per unit on average. My force this year had thirty four units inclusive of dedicated transports.

More to follow...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:04 pm 

Quote:
Armourdale 2012 will return to the predetermined deployment zone and I will get my Terrain Committee to build proper objective markers/terrain features. The random deployment used this year slowed the start of the games and gave the team that got the vital objective in their deployment zone a distinct advantage.
I agree with this 100%. Due to random set up there were situations where the vital objective was not only in one players deployment zone but also behind a building or other terrian. Having the vital objective in a pre-set no-mans land would work better.

2 of my games went for 4 turns. 1 went for 3 (although we called it early) and one for 2. I don't think my games suffered too much from having 6k instead of 5k.

I would be very interested to see what force organisation restrictions you come up with Gary.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:28 pm 

I feel that cumulative victory points works better than last turn victory points in any non-narrative style apocalypse game, particularly given that it is so unlikely for any game to go the distance to 6 turns.

As for the force restrictions, I'd be keen if we determined it a fair rule for all forces - your average unit cost for the Imperial Guard would likely be less than that of, say, Space Marines, so would it restrict the Guard more?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:44 pm 

Quote:
I'm also looking at imposing some form of force organisation on the armies. Possibly a maximum number of units such as twenty, which would work out a 300 points per unit on average. My force this year had thirty four units inclusive of dedicated transports.
While I havent attended an Armourdale event yet, having a restriction such as this would peek my interest.
Im a big fan of having some semblence of structure amidst all the mayhem of apocalypse, and a force organisation chart (to some degree) would be awesome!
Maybe consider even tripling the size of a standard chart (6 HQ/ 12 Troops etc...).
Obviously, super heavies and flyers do not usually fit on the chart, so...?

Good to see another successfully run HUGE event Gary!
I wonder what the forecast of 6th Ed will do to Apoc. battles (hopefully, speed them up :wink: )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:52 pm 

My thoughts for some changes would be more around some of the strategic asset options. In our 4 games our opponents had Disruptor Beacons in each game, also Flank March was a common option.

There are some Apocalypse websites around the have some good house rules around these type of things.
ie - Flank March is only available if a formation gives it, and then only works for that formation. Same could work for the Beacon as well.
Reducing the range that the Disruptor Beacon works as well as not working if it reaches into your deployment zone.

Knowing that Disruptor Beacon is a common choice certainly determined some of my force make up with the Drop Pods and deepstriking troops staying at home.

I liked 6000pts but agree with the turn lengths, we had one game go for 4 turns the rest all less. Av of 3.
I think a timed turn length would work as well with that encouraging some changes to the force org choices.

Just some suggestions :)

Gary any more news on if its likely to be mid year or still December at this point ?

Cheers
Hawke

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable