[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Quick March 2012 Results - Page 2 - WestGamer
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:20 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm 

following on from the VPs:
while I had no qualms over the use of VPs (they helped spread the field I beleive), I would have thought having a cap would be better (1750pts or 3500pts per game, but not both). That way annhilation missions would rewad the same amount as objective missions, and could have been accomplished by either not scoring VPs for kills in objective missions, or scoring VPs for friendly units left alive (or double VP for kills) in annhilation missions.

I also think that tabling an opponent should be rewarded with a 20-0 win regardless of VPs (though they would still be recorded for count backs?)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:16 pm 

I agree, there should definitely be different scales for the annihilation and the objective missions. It is way too easy to get a 20-0 on objective missions, and almost impossible in annihilation. It should really be either easy in all (though i wouldnt advise it) or very very difficult in both (say 1600 diff in annihilation, 3200 in objectives).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:10 pm 

I have re-entered all of the scores and the amended rankings are available from the links in the first post. The changes are in red.

Apologies to Oliver Paun who’s painting score was incorrectly entered by me and should have been 12 not 8. This moves Olly up to 6th place from 10th.

Apologies also to Liam Earley who’s first round score was entered as 0 but was in fact 6 points. Liam moves from 55 to 53.

My commiserations to those who were bumped down the rankings as a result of these changes.

I will post a detailed explanation of the error and respond to the issues raised after I have finished my chores and I’m allowed to play after tea :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:35 pm 

Quote:
Can we see the painting scorecard please (not the results, just what was looked for)
I am interested to see how this was marked as well.

Chunks Directory

Current Hobby Projects

Redoing an entire Necron army so my first one can sit there and gather dust... Yeah I don't know why either

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:08 pm 

From memory

Painting:
3 color minimum
Table top standard
Detailed
Extra effort eg:highlights and shading

Assembly
Effort made to remove sprue lines and cover joins <50% with defects
Well assembled with no sprue lines

Basing
Base color with drybrush
Added texture, rubble etcetera and more color

Other
Consistent basing over army
Consistent colour skeme over whole army
Extra effort made on standout models HQ
Squad and unit markings

Not the exact words used but you can understand where the points went
Obviously one point per line.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:36 pm 

hmm i am surprised i only got 8 from that type of checklist...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:31 am 

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The problem with the painting judging at Quick March is obviously the key issue I need to address.

Just to put things in context, the popularity of Quick March took us by surprise. From announcement to event, we are looking at about 4 weeks. Based on the short lead time I was expecting about half the numbers we eventually had.

Like most clubs we have a small number of members who step up to help run events, of these most were also keen to play at Quick March. Given the expected turn out this wasn't seen as an issue. Richard agreed to be the painting judge as he is far more interested in that area than I am. In hindsight once the numbers increased I should have made the decision to go to peer judging, to take the pressure off Richard who was still keen to play. Predictably the judging didn't go smoothly.

Because we were running out of time I asked Owen to judge some of the armies. Once again with hindsight, I should have asked Richard to check the remaining lists throughout the afternoon. From memory Owen checked 12 armies.

I agree that using players to judge the painting wasn’t the best option, but only because it wasn’t practical or reasonable to expect them to be able to spend the appropriate amount of time to do the job properly given the numbers we have. I would be disappointed if anyone doubted the integrity of the judges, my process was flawed but the judges were doing the best they could in the time allowed.

The process was also flawed because only one judge looked at each army where at least two would have been preferable to help address the inherent subjectiveness of the process.

I would like to apologise to anyone who believes their score does not reflect the true level effort they have made in the painting aspect of the hobby. If anyone would like to discuss this further please post here or pmail me.

I have conversed with Christian by pmail as he is unfortunately the person who has been most affected by the error on my part. As has been pointed out, his army has been painted to a high standard and if the process had not been flawed he would have been scored higher. He has been a great sport about this issue and I would like to thank him for his understanding.

Although the above issues affected the overall rankings of some individuals it did not impact on who was awarded the best painted award as I made the final decision that Jon Schmidt’s Orks were the winning force.

The paint scoring sheet is located below.

I am planning on completing the Mayhem Player’s pack soon and any additional feedback will be appreciated.

Gary

Paint Application:
3 colour minimum. 1
Table top standard. 2
Detailed. 3
Advanced (detailed plus nice shading / highlighting). 4
Model Preparation
Obvious mould lines / flash etc on most models. (50%+ of total figures) 0
Some effort made, but some obvious imperfections remain. (<50% of total figures) 1
Extensive prep work & no visible defects at all. 2
Basing:
Painted & up to 1 texture. 1
Detailed (Several textures & additional added features & details). 2
Army (check box selection):
Cohesive army (painting). 1
Cohesive army (basing). 1
Unit markings (where appropriate). 1
Extra effort on identifiable characters & centrepiece Models. 1
Total: