[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
may 40k tourney? - Page 2 - WestGamer
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:09 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:23 pm 

Hmm, would be tempting to go this time - at the moment I've organised more tournaments over the past year than I've attended. :P

Of course the question remains... do I go for 40k or Fantasy?

Malifaux Henchman
Currently Painting: KoW Salamanders
Models Painted this Year: 38 (2015: 265)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:53 pm 

Quote:
Of course the question remains... do I go for 40k or Fantasy?
Given that there are many fine events being held by clubs and individuals this year, this isn't such a dilemma as it appears :D

Rather than try to fit two events into an already busy Calendar, I decided to run the fantasy tournament concurrently with our annual Mayhem 40k event.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:30 pm 

Quick question about the possible make-up of the Armourdale tournament.

I love the idea of an Apocalypse tournament but the thing that attracts me most to Apocalypse games is massive themed games. I would love to bring 5k points of guard to a tournament but it would be a mix of everything- tanks, infantry, fliers and super heavies. A large guard army developed along a theme.

The thing that puts me off Armourdale is cheesey armies eg. Carnifexes riding in Stompas (there's nothing wrong with this and Apocalypse is the best medium for it but just not my style of play). I don't know how many people share my interest, and it would depend on numbers at the event, but would it be possible to break the tourney into two sections- a themed and a cheese-fest section?

I've never run a tournament and I don't know if anyone thinks like I do but I thought I would throw it out there.

Definately interested in the Mayhem tournament though.

Diz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Couldn't agree more Dizzy. Apocalypse is a huge turnoff for me in general for that exact reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:18 pm 

I also share your interest Dizzy but it was never the reason why I didnt attend Amourdale (always busy).

You could always enforce the Allies list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 am 

I like the idea of theme in Apocalypse - the allies list is a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:54 am 

Like the other guys thus far, I'd be much more interested in attending an Apoc event that encouraged themed lists and fun play (possibly even painted armies) over everything else.

Malifaux Henchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:18 am 

I think enforcing the allies list would make a huge difference. It would make the games more enjoyable for me (no defilers shooting out the back of stormlords as was suggested the last time I was in morley). Painted armies are always more fun to play against but they can be huge armies to get painted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:38 am 

The Allies list would certainly improve theming of forces, but does it also accomplish the goal of 'cutting the cheese-fest'?

What are the worst combinations of cheese people can come up with that still manage to be legal as allies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:26 pm 

Before we can answer that, is there an established 'allies list' anywhere?

Malifaux Henchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:27 pm 

True. I suppose the only way to get truely themed games is to play privately organised games. Or you ask Gary to only put you against other themed armies in the tournament.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:57 pm 

Quote:
Rathnard
Posted: Wed 25 Feb, 2009 11:25 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before we can answer that, is there an established 'allies list' anywhere?

In the back of the main Apocalypse book. Its a matrix with three different catagories, trusted allies, common goal allies, and hated enemies.

There is still plenty of cheese that can be dished out with these, and once you factor in Super Heavies/Gargantuan Creatures it all starts to get a little redundent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:05 pm 

a simple idea would be realistic allies ie IG and marines, nids and no one, chaos and DE etc. maybe get people to suggest an alliance and the organisers could vet it first.

I also believe that the number of gargantuans should be limited so that people that cant afford the toys can compete. i know my hierophant is awesome, but its the only anti super heavy tank thing i have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:37 pm 

Quote:
i know my hierophant is awesome, but its the only anti super heavy tank thing i have.
You mean aside from a Carnifex? It would smash a Baneblade up quite easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:11 pm 

At this time the draft player’s pack for Armourdale is on the backburner. I have had my head in the clouds getting ready for Richard’s upcoming Aeronautica Imperialis campaign :twisted:

However I am certainly open to suggestions and ideas for this year’s Armourdale event and welcome the discussion. Having read through the recent posts I thought I would voice my opinions on the issues raised.

Themed Lists

I’m all for them. I prefer to see a cohesive list which showcases the might of a particular force. A themed competition is an interesting idea :idea:

The Warkraft (composition) award was a tongue in cheek dig at composition/best army restrictions in standard events. Ironically the winning forces in the previous events have all been themed lists and in fact Imperial Guard Armies have done very well.

Allies

In theory the allies’ matrix makes sense and is good for a themed force. However I do not intend to restrict armies by using it, as in my opinion it does not limit the ability to take a “cheesyâ€