It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:03 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Mantic's King of War
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:20 am 

I was just looking at Mantic's fantasy system and want to see if anyone is interested.

The rules are free to download, simple but still very tactical (12 pages of rules by Alessio Calvatore), army list are one page but still give you options and complexity. The game apparently can scale up very well and very simple to pick up. Very balance with focus on strategy rather than list building. The minis themselves are very nice and very affordable. You get most of them in plastic with the heroes in metal eg Morgoth
http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Un ... igure.html

There are five races at the moment with plans to add at least three more. The company itself is very open and discuss plans about future releases and take fan suggestions.

Interview with Alessio and the head of Mantic on BoW Turn 8: http://www.beastsofwar.com/turn-8/turn-8-tonight/

http://www.manticgames.com/Hobby/Gaming.html

The rules and army list can be downloaded here with the new release Orcs beta for community playtest. I' picking up the Elve's army set and would like to have some opponents

Post subject: Re: Mantic's King of War
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am 

Thought I would post here rather than start a new thead.

IN the mail 2 days ago with a Waylands order we received 2 Mantic Journals issues 3 and 4 that came with the ruleset and army lists for Kings of War. After a quick read through the game looks quite promising. My dad and I are going to playtest the game with LoTR proxy models quite shortly to see whether or not we really do like it. Hey a free ruleset?! Why not!?

The strangest thing is that units or regiments are under the effect of a new mechanic called Nerve individual models to not have wounds like WHFB. Models are not removed but everytime the unit is damaged the opponent tests the units nerve on a 2D6 which can cause the Unit to Standfast, Waver or Rout! depending on the roll. More damage done increases the chances of routing the unit, once the unit is routed it is gone and has fled the field. Personally I think it is a good rule as you don't have to spend half the time removing models from a ranked up unit :lol:

The game is not focused on remembering a plethora of rules and actually has all the special rules in one place eg Fire Breath (n) where n is the number of attacks. Everything is streamlined and easy to pick up. I basically understand everything on the second read through! You could easily proxy models from WHFB for this game.

The 5 races at the moment being Undead, Orcs, Elves, Dwarfs and Absyssal Dwarfs. I think the other 3 races being just around the corner which are Goblins, Humans and Twilight Kin.

Undead regenerate their units damage which can be further increased by their heroes. Immune to Wavering but cannot at the double. They also have their way to acquire extra movement through specials.
Orcs squabble and have a greater chance of damaging other units (Crushing strength)
Dwarfs have Headstrong which means they ignore Wavering results on the Nerve test on 4+
Elves have Elite which means they get one re-roll per unit.

I'm interested in the Elves at the moment and dad likes the Undead.
Quote:
The minis themselves are very nice and very affordable.
Definetely true, I can get an army in the area of 1500-2000 points with a case for 150 pounds or about 250 Aussie. Thats 155 models for the Elves (this includes cavalry, monstrous heroes and warmachines). I really hope I like this ruleset as that army deal is really hard to resist.

Oh, and the mission statement is a game for gamers by gamers.

I would urge people to download the rules and check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:14 am 

There is a second edition of the rules coming out with dozen of new units, fluff and in a colour booklet. Its still only around $8-10 so still pretty affordable I think. I'm starting a undead lot too, wouldn't mind giving you guys a game at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:16 am 

Yeah, I was just reading up on the Forum. Depending on how we find the game playing wise we may have to have a game at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:37 am 

Have fun, I'm reading up on elves and their shooting seems brutal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:03 am 

i cant comment on the rules, but the plastic figures arent that great...i bought some dwarves and although they fit together perfectly (GW could learn from them in that respect), the detailing wasnt very good...i have heard other comments along the same lines for the elves and undead as well...but then again u can always just use a different miniature range :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:45 pm 

Yeah, I agree, the figures aren't the best out there. That doesn't really phase me though, they look alright to me and make up for the con with the affordable price.

I can definitely see WHFB miniatures being used with the Kings of War ruleset, I would substitute any but I never got around to collecting WHFB!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:49 pm 

Their plastic mounted Orcs look sweet!, you get a unit of ten for $31.00 Australian!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:06 pm 

I like the Undead Revenant Calvary. Very cool models and they recently kept the same price but double the amount of models in a kit. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:25 pm 

If you join up for the Mantic newsletter (free), you get sent the new army list for Twilight Kin. Very cool list too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

I was pretty much turned off this game by the models. Definitely not my cup of tea. It really does just come off as a tryhard Warhammer clone in a lot of respects.

Will see how it progresses though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:42 am 

Quote:
If you join up for the Mantic newsletter (free), you get sent the new army list for Twilight Kin. Very cool list too.
I might do just that.

They are really pushing the affordable gaming idea. I'm hoping that this idea is kept.

Yeah King of War is very similar to WHFB, I can't really comment on how the rules compare (only having played a few games of WHFB) other than the fact the game is more streamlined.

The background comes off as stolen from WHFB in a lot of regards.

The game is still in its infancy so the progression will be interesting, im not likely to jump right in, I have a lot of game systems already and this would have to play very well ruleswise to suck me in. I just really like how the game is designed from the read through, however those who like removing casualties may find it quite strange.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:56 am 

I recall reading that the current rules for Kings of War written by Alessio, are the rules Alessio was proposing for WFB. Since it was such a great departure from previous editions of WFB they were not accepted in whole.

So this could have been 8th edition.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:12 pm 

I just got sent a free rules set by Waylands with an FoW foam tray order. After a 20min read in front of the tele Baz and I got out some LOTR bases, some appropriate LOTR models to represent elves and undead and gave it a whirl. I lost but had a great game.

Things I like about this game are many (it is fast, it is furious, the rules are easy and can be learnt quickly, this means far fewer tiresome arguments with battlefield 'lawyers' about subtle and often riduculous rules, did I mention a lack of ridiculous rules, the easy rules mean a much bigger focus on tactics rather rules disputes - so it's all about fun and playing the game instead - great!!). We played a 750pt battle in under 40 mins (including lots of 'unfamiliarity-induced' references to the rules manual). Things I don't like - nil at present but these usually emerge after a few games. I guess one thing I'd like to see is some form of initiative or command step that allows player turns to be non-sequential, but this is a new game and such an addition may evolve in time.

For a fast and furiuous game where casualties pile up fast, where you want to wield a big army and where time is short this looks very good (better in fact than one or two other well-known systems that cost much more to buy). As for model details being reportedly a bit under par in some previous posts, if you are a good enough painter you can probably detail them that way instead. Having said that the picture of the orc-pig cavalry looks pretty good to me - good model detail and a fine paint job to boot. The cost of the models is far cheaper than other similar types which is a big plus for building a big army.

So it's a 'tick' from me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:28 pm 

I got a good first impression to.

Yeah finally managed to crack out a game using WoTR trays! It was very enjoyable, also being able to smash the game out in 40 minutes was great even with constant referrals to the rules, nearly played a second game right after!. We left out heroes and monsters for the first time so as to not confuse ourselves more than we had too :lol: .

It was kind of obvious that the Undead needed their heroes for the move buffs so next stage will include them as they can't At The Double, being zombies their limbs would probably fall off.

The biggest problem was remembering the statistics, but once its memorized you can really speed through the game. As far as applying damage I found the system to be very quick, rather than removing individual models from the regiment you have damage markers to track damage. Although this system has part in luck (rolling to kill the unit on 2d6 + and - modifiers which have a big range) we found we weren't going for the lucky rolls but focusing down a unit to make certain of the kill.

The way movement was treated was solid, the tactics are there and I made some glaring tactical mistakes with my cavalry. The game focuses on getting the charge which I don't have a problem with. You can't really destroy an undamaged unit with a charge from a unit with similar cost unless you are ridiculously lucky, even though teh unit is damaged you get the counter charge with your full complement of attacks in the owning players turn.

Had a few instances where we played rules wrongly but we sorted it out quickly. Can't wait for the next game, going to be bumping it up to 1000pts and including heroes.

As far as negatives go for gameplay I can't really see any just yet, only time will tell. Its a streamlined game and does what it intends to do very well. However that said I'm going to be playtesting this a lot more before I invest in an army.