It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:34 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:39 pm 

Quote:
Can see the pics now... :wink:

As for warhammer, rules aren't actually that bad, as I'm a relaxed gamer anyway (I just like events for the social aspect :P ), but the rules in my opinion have been better...besides, having seen the rules for KOW, I'm hooked. A lot easier to understand than the medieval bible that is warhammer, and much cheaper. Personally, I find the Mantic models endearing, in the same way as I found the 1980-1990 Citadel range. Not actually much of a fan of a lot of the newer models...

Making an elf army now; cobbling what I can find of citadel wood elves, high elves and a single regiment of 20 proper mantic elves... :P
Funny you should say that, intro games I have done with others have said a similar thing. They say the game feels and looks similar to that early WHFB. Also, updated the OP.
Quote:
all the dwarfs you see here (little less then 200 figures) including 30 metal figures and paints cost a total of $220 which i think is awesome and took 7 months to paint.
Baz is a much better painter then me and should really put up some of his army which look stunning.
Very nice, that whole photo of the combined army is quite impressive. I would put up more of my army if I had more of it painted though :P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:07 pm 

Just visited the Mantic site again, then realized it had Avatars of War and Hassle Free Miniatures included there. Was very refreshing to see that sort of collaboration after being so used to Citadel only at GW...

@ Baz - That's why I'm liking this so much...it feels like when I first started Warhammer over twenty years ago; the game is still coming together...I've found warhammer a bit like those books / tv series that go on too long - they start of interesting, but just go too far...for me now, warhammer is more fluff than good rules. As much as others may say 7th was best / balanced, whatever, the fact that they still took away allies, and the magic cards (and 40k was great with dark millennium) left me disappointed in the way it was going...especially the loss of strategy cards / mission cards in 40k...(when you didn't know what the other guy was after and were compelled to make more balanced lists...)

Maybe I'll be up for a game in the next fortnight or so...I'll get back to this thread tonight...after I do some adding up... :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:11 am 

As promised, here are a couple of photos of my two armies. The Undead army comprises 740 minis (6,600 points) and cost approx. $1100 AUD (or about $1.50 per mini on average, inclusive of all white metal and cavalry minis). It comprises 4 Zombie Endless Swarms, 5 Ghoul regiments, 8 Skeleton regiments, 2 Skeleton Archer regiments, 4 Revenant regiments, 2 Revenant cavalry regiments, 1 Soul Reaver regiment, 1 Wraith regiment, 2 Wight troops, 1 Mummie Regiment, 1.5 Werewolf regiments and 4 catapults. The management team comprises 1 Vampire on Pegasus, two Vampiress on foot, 3 Revenant kings, 6 Necromancers (1 horsed), the Liche King, Mhorgoth the Necromancer and two Standard Bearers. Here is a photo (ex werewolves and mummies, which are under construction). I started construction and painting of this force in October last year and including the minis below, plus a few Flames of War tanks have painted just over 800 minis over the past 10 months (it's been a fun year!).

My Army of Men is under construction and currently comprises mostly recycled LOTR minis. The list currently has 3 Peasant Militia troops, 2 Shield Wall regiments, 4 Mounted Sergeant Regiments, 6 Cannons, 3 Mortars, 4 Generals, 2 Wizards. Under construction are 5 wizards, 1 priest, 1 hero, 3 rocket artillery, 3 knight regiments, 3 footguard regiments, 1 penitent regiment. I also want to add some pikemen and ogres plus more militia, shield wall, peninents. I envisage this being around 5000-6000 points when complete. Here is a photo of the Army of Men so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:47 pm 

cool another great looking army for kings of war.
:D

my blog http://firewaterportal.blogspot.com/
email firewaterportal@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:38 pm 

Quote:
Maybe I'll be up for a game in the next fortnight or so...I'll get back to this thread tonight...after I do some adding up...
No rush just let me know by pm and i Should be able to get back to you reasonably quickly!

My favourite part of Taubads army are his skeleton regiments with their different heraldry that make them really easy to differentiate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:52 am 

well Just a quick up date, for all you KoW players old and new or anyone that you would like to learn.

Mantic Games Now has a Pathfinder in WA,
What is a Pathfinder ?
well we are volunteers that go out in the community and promote Mantic games, we do this through demos and organising events.
It is our job to link the players and community with Mantic, we forward on information that the players them selves come up with.

Now what dose that mean for you as players over the coming months we will be have events, I will be trying to get out to clubs and do demos as well as play games.
I play at Krags on a Friday and outpost on Tue - I am a shift worker so please if you are going to go down just PM me to make sure I am there or post on the Forum.

we have a Kings of War event running at the moment you can join.
Kings of War - learn to play and paint.
http://westgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28499

there will be more to follow.

If you need help or are after some demos just PM or email me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:37 pm 

well I have not been on the thread for a while sorry, how are we going with Kings of War , How many got into the 2nd ed kickstarter. and who is looking for games.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:26 pm 

Seriously considering Dark Elves for KoW as my next large project. Really like the rules, just a matter of whether I want to commit buying a bunch more models!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:24 am 

Hi All, I went in pretty hard on the kickstarter and am very much looking forward to seeing the new rules emerge in the New Year. Most of what I read in the Mantic forum prior to and during the kickstarter regarding possible rules changes and additions all seemed very positive to me so this game appears to be heading in the right direction. I'll be augmenting my Ogres and Undead lists through the KS, and may pick up some of the terrain packs or Nature models perhaps (Salamanders look hard to resist).

I'll be looking for more KoW games in 2015 for sure, particularly now that all the festive chaos is nearly over.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:20 pm 

So I'm looking at making a Dark Elves/Twilight Kin list, but I wanted to know a couple of things...

When will the new rules be available? I tried to find it in the KS info but it didn't jump out at me.

What is the rough size for a standard game?

Are the army lists/point costs likely to change much in the new edition?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:56 pm 

Hi Orange,

Sorry for my late reply on this. As I understand it they are looking at mid-year for the KoW2 release to the backers. General release would probably be a month or so after that based on previous Kick Starters. In the meantime I and probably many others are hoping to see a Beta rules set some time before the release, but that is just a hope at this stage.

Common game size is about 1500pts, but it works well anywhere from 500pts to over 4000pts, which is about the biggest I've played. In terms of army size I have a comprehensive Undead list which tops out at about 7000pts. My Kingdoms of Man list is almost complete at about 3000pts and Ogres is incomplete at about 1500pts; Basileans list is almost complete at about 3000pts (so if you managed to build anywhere upwards of 2000pts you'd have good variety around a core list; 3000pts gives you multiple core list options).

There will be some points changes and rules changes based upon what I read on the Mantic Forum - V2 is all about gaining greater play balance. One of the key areas that needs a fix is War Machines, which are currently a bit too powerful. But the players are demanding a game that is not dominated by magic, but rather is mostly about massed battles, with a healthy dose of magic to liven it up a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:13 pm 

Thanks Taubad :)

That all makes sense, be good to see the beta rules before building it all but it's a risk I'll have to take I think.

The other thing I wanted to ask is how useful banners and musicians are? Are they something that's generally taken, or at 25 points are they too much?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:23 pm 

Quote:
The other thing I wanted to ask is how useful banners and musicians are? Are they something that's generally taken, or at 25 points are they too much?
They aren't particulary common though there are some units where they seem to benefit more from a banner than others at particular nerve values. The extra point can be all the difference with Gore Riders. Musicians are quite useful on cavalry units or low damage units. If I have the points spare I add them in at the end. Its generally better to have more units though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:35 pm 

At least from my experience playing Goblins, Standards and Musicians are handy for throwing on key units you want to ensure hold or break, but if you go overboard you'll quickly find that you're better off spending the points on another unit or two.

From what I've read on the forums, Musicians and Banners might be getting removed from the rules (ie. they'll be for aesthetics only). So your question might well be a moot point Pete. ;)

Malifaux Henchman
Currently Painting: KoW Salamanders
Models Painted this Year: 38 (2015: 265)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:40 pm 

I don't tend to use musicians and or banners much at all now really (unless I have a particularly expensive and very elite unit like a Regiment of Soul Reavers where an extra point of Nerve has quite a bit or impact relative to unit cost and WRT their ability to survive into the end game). So I suppose my advice would be to save these for your main strike-force units (high-cost/high-attack/high speed) that you need to survive long enough to deliver a crippling blow to the enemy.

I did use more banners and musicians in the early days but I ended up preferring to spend the various multiples of 10-15 points either on magical artifacts or on fast troop units and/or more powerful regiments. The extra/bigger units come with an inherent Nerve and Attack bonus which I find more useful that the '1 point either way' banner/musician on typical line of battle units.

If these were removed in KoW2 that would not trouble me much at all as I guess I agree that they play a limited role in the game.