[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Cygnar players - school the noob? - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:40 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:19 am 

I have a thought, and would like an idea of whether this will work in the slightest.

I preface this with:
1) please don't tell me to go all infantry - I want Jacks
2) please don't tell me to play eHaley - I need something much simpler than her to start with; or Seige - 'cause I just don't like the model.
3) I don't actually own anything, so do feel free to say "look, you won't get a return on investment from x, whereas if you substitute that with y you can do abc". Just remember to avoid WMH jargon as I have no idea what most of it means.

I don't have specific points etc, and will probably try facebook later tonight, but don't have that at work and do have westgamer. :) EDIT: forgot to mention - this is a 35 point list...

eStryker (and if this list doesn't look terrible I could use suggestions for a second caster - I am thinking pNemo... but again, haven't bought anything yet)
Ol' Rowdy
Lancer
min Stormblades
min Swordknights with U/A
Runewood
Stormclad
Strangeways

Although I realise I am missing the squire in there. Not sure how I would fit him unless I removed Strangeways...

Thanks in advance!

"Cry "Havoc!!", and let slip the dogs of war" Julius Caesar; Act III, Scene I

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:35 pm 

Hey Mikey, this is looking pretty solid, but there are a couple of things I would consider as alternatives (these won't necessarily be any better, just different)

Firstly, eStryker with the Lancer, as you saw last night, can do some excellent things with Rebuke, and he can make sure that Positive Charge gets where it needs to go, regardless of where Stryker himself is. He also plays quite well without the Lancer, though, so you could consider dropping it for the squire, and to increase the size of the sword knights to a max unit, and either add in 2 storm gunners to the Stormblade unit (more bodies), or look at still running the minimum unit, instead taking a Journeyman warcaster, the Squire and either a Stormsmith Stormcaller or a single storm gunner. You could also change out Ol' Rowdy for a Stormclad with that single point left over, if you felt so inclined (although the free runs/ charges with Rowdy, and the bond for extra dice on first attacks makes his crit knockdown more reliable, bonuses to Stryker notwithstanding).

As far as second casters go, pNemo can do some funky things, but he'll want a couple of key pieces to go along with him. I'm by no means experienced with pNemo (I don't even own the poor chap), but this is all fairly common stuff with him, so I should be on the money. He'll want to take a unit of Tactical Arcanist Corps, a Merc unit of dwarven mages. They can drop clouds that can help protect Nemo, and they're also magic abilities, so they power pNemo's ability to get extra focus. With them kicking around each turn, he can get 10 focus, before drinking from the Squire. Following that, I would look at taking the new character jack, Dynamo. He gets to shoot up to 4 times, gets re-rolls to hit with his ranged attacks for just being near Nemo, deals some serious damage with his ranged attacks, and if he can make lots of melee attacks (which he can thanks to pNemo's overboost) he can kill most things dead. Each hit he lands, his attacks get stronger, so with pNemo's damage buff up, you can be swinging that final attack at PS24. pNemo probably only really wants to run a single jack though (a lancer might be useful to get his movement spell off, but that's a hefy investment at 35 points), so he might do well taking Journeyman Jakes, who has 4 focus for her to play with, and who buffs the defence of a jack with her spell Sidekick. You could take a Hunter on her for some extra ranged power, or a Charger to get some solid boosted POW12s off - both would help out Dynamo in the shooting stakes, and together they could do some solid work against heavy targets. Other than that, I'm not too sure what to recommend for him, so I'll let some others who have played around with him to offer some advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:03 pm 

It would help the guys giving input if you can list the models that you already have or planning to purchase. Oh...and there's a WA warmahordes facebook group with very active people who'll be keen to help.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:40 pm 

Quote:
It would help the guys giving input if you can list the models that you already have or planning to purchase. Oh...and there's a WA warmahordes facebook group with very active people who'll be keen to help.
You mean like this?
Quote:
3) I don't actually own anything, so do feel free to say "look, you won't get a return on investment from x, whereas if you substitute that with y you can do abc". Just remember to avoid WMH jargon as I have no idea what most of it means.

I don't have specific points etc, and will probably try facebook later tonight, but don't have that at work and do have westgamer.
:wink:

Seriously though, I am pretty open to most things. I will get a Stormclad. I'm led to believe Strangeways is basically in everything, or almost everything, so will probably get him. Other than that, I am totally open to almost everything except Seige and eHaley. And I will Facebook it this evening. Just while I procrastinated at work thought I would post it up and get the ball rolling. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:06 pm 

Just some general thoughts about Cygnar (I have a bit, played them a couple of times, by no means do I know what I'm doing though haha)

The Stormwall Colossal is really big and really cool (but a bit pricey...)
Journeyman Warcaster is an ARM buff on a stick. Like literally an ARM buff on a stick. You should get one of those :)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (unit) and Tempest Blazers (light cavalry unit) are awesome if you like the pew pew pew
Cygnar also tends to run a lot of the mercenary units, primarily Greygore Boomhowler & Co (big tough trolls), Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (hard hitting speedy high def gals) and Alexia & The Risen (who doesn't love zombies?)

I've played with Dynamo and he's a fun lil fella, can confirm.
Also if you're looking into 'jacks then the Hunter light jack shows up a bit (armour piercing gun), as well as the characters Ol' Rowdy and Thunderhead (Rowdy smashes big stuff and DJ Thunder wrecks infantry)

Nemo's run jacks pretty well, and I think Strangeways has Power Booster to help keep them fuelled up? Kraye's also pretty nifty with jacks if you wanna look into him

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:54 pm 

eStryker
Ol' Rowdy
Lancer
min Stormblades
min Swordknights with U/A
Runewood
Stormclad
Strangeways

this list you've written is a bit over on points but you have a good selection of models to work with there. A fun list mentioned on ozmachine and i've run locally is written below. This is a 50pt list and it looks like you're looking to trim it down to 35.

Estryker +6
ol rowdy 9
squire 2

Min swordknights + UA 6
Stormclad 10
stormcald 10

Stormblades 5
journeyman 3
runewood 3
strangeways 2

Laynissa 2
gorman 2 or max out the swordknights
Ruphert 2

The premise of this list is to use the sword knights jack marshal ability to push the stormclads far forward so you can get a really great alpha strike with them. The stormclads gain a focus from the stormblades, once can get one from arlan and they can use their jack marshall point to charge or buy an attack. Lynassa is their to allow them to charge for free or you can use the fuel objective for this as well. Along with strykers positive charge spell which you can cast on both they they become mat 9 pow 21 which is incredibly dangerous for your opponent.

Then your infantry follows in and their pow increases also. You have stryker himself who also hits like a ton of bricks.

To trim is down to 35 i would remove a stormclad journeyman and a 2 point solo

If you have any more questions about the list then just ask.

Cygnar has the largest access to mercs and most people will tell you to use mercs - but cygnar infantry can also be used well too.

Things that will get used -

Units
gunmages plus UA - they can see stealth and knock things down or push them away
tempest blazers - fast annoying cav
Stormblades - our in faction "weapon masters" they hit hard
black 13th - character unit who reveal stealth and kill infantry
stormlances - heavy cav capable of murdering lots of infantry they can kill 4 models per turn easilly

Jacks
Stormclads - hard hitting reach jack
Stormwall - our colossal great all round piece
ol rowdy - run and charges for free - hits accurately
hunters - armour piercing shooting from range
sentinals - shield guard jacks

Solos
Stormblade captain - this guys improves our storm knight units
journeyman - hands out arcane shield and trys to shoot things
Jakes - character journeyman - can run a jack rather well
Arlan - hands out free focus repairs jacks and greats immunity to freestrikes
runewood - improves our infantry
murdoch - he attatches to merc units to make them in faction
squire - gives more focus to your warcaster
stormsmiths - they help unjam your army and when you have 1 point leftover - these are your guys

Perth WMH Champs! Facebook Link!
Warmachine and Hordes West Oz Facbook group

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:03 pm 

I have considered this list...

eStryker
Stormclad
Squire

min Swordknights + UA
Stormclad
Runewood
Strangeways

Junior
Hunter

Would that also work? Then with eCaine added I could rejigg the hunter to him, both Stormclads to the swordknights and junior just to AS and hand cannon?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:14 pm 

Ah I stand corrected :)

When I started Cygnar back then (sold them off now), I played pStryker several times with various configurations. That really helped me to get some understanding of how Cygnar works, which in turn helped with choosing which next casters/warjacks/units to get. Mind you he's not top of the pack warcaster; his value lies in being very flexible in supporting any units/warjacks/solos so you have a chance to learn each one without getting overwhelmed by managing a complex warcaster at the same time. Just my 2 cents.

Going back to the original post, somehow I wouldn't recommend eStryker as the 1st warcaster. His style is a bit um...one-dimensional, for want of better words.

Cygnar warcaster in general (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) tend not to support many warjacks at once (say 1-3 large/medium warjacks is what I normally see, except for Nemos or Darius?). However Cygnar do have access to a lot of jack marshalls and junior warcasters. This allows you to spread the deployment and do all sort of funky tactics, but have limitation in terms of benefiting from the warcaster's battlegroup spells/abilities.

Imho, stuff that gives you good ROI:
Stormwall
Stormclad
Hunter (start with 1)
Charger
Black 13th
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages plus UA
Tempest Blazers
Junior warcaster
Squire
Strangeways

And some mercs:
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters
Gorman
Aiyana & Holt
p/eEyriss

And for armor cracking (imho Cygnar do have a bit of an issue in this department): either max Stormblades + UA + WA (need spell that boost ARM like Arcane Shield) or Horgenhold Forgeguard (not faction model, so may need Murdoch). Remember both are 2nd line unit, and should never be your 1st-liners.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:55 pm 

Hmmm... So I think I can comfortably get Junior, squire, a Stormclad and Strangeways. Those appear to crop up everywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:12 pm 

Quote:

eStryker +6
Stormclad 10
Squire 2

min Swordknights + UA 6
Stormclad 10
Runewood 3
Strangeways 2

Junior 3
Hunter 6

Would that also work? Then with eCaine added I could rejigg the hunter to him, both Stormclads to the swordknights and junior just to AS and hand cannon?
Once again you're over points ;-)
The reason rowdy is good with any Stryker is that he gives Stryker +2 defence when in base to base against melee & immunity to knockdown. This takes Stryker to def 18 which is great.

I'm guessing you meant rowdy instead of a stormclad.

EStryker wants to melee things, while a hunter is great on a junior those 9 points could give you rowdy and your original stormclad could move to the sword knights.

Pick whichever cater you like and play them a ton and see if you still like them.

I play Nemo3 cause I think he's great! But he gets a bad rap cause he's not eHaley.

I did get asked in Malaysia...are you that Nemo3 guy? International fame is mine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:14 pm 

Also I think a new plastic stormclad kit is coming out.

If you want to play with jacks look at

Kraye
Darius
Nemo1
Nemo2
Nemo3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:11 am 

Quote:
Quote:

eStryker +6
Stormclad 10
Squire 2

min Swordknights + UA 6
Stormclad 10
Runewood 3
Strangeways 2

Junior 3
Hunter 6

Once again you're over points ;-)
The reason rowdy is good with any Stryker is that he gives Stryker +2 defence when in base to base against melee & immunity to knockdown. This takes Stryker to def 18 which is great.

I'm guessing you meant rowdy instead of a stormclad.

EStryker wants to melee things, while a hunter is great on a junior those 9 points could give you rowdy and your original stormclad could move to the sword knights.

Pick whichever cater you like and play them a ton and see if you still like them.

I play Nemo3 cause I think he's great! But he gets a bad rap cause he's not eHaley.

I did get asked in Malaysia...are you that Nemo3 guy? International fame is mine!
Yeah... I realised that after I had posted...

Regardless, thanks heaps for all the suggestions, and I have totally seen the plastic Stormclad - hence why I want one so much. Love the Stormy, hated the metal model...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable