[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Back in Black, Baby - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:36 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
 Post subject: Back in Black, Baby
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:38 pm 

Hi everyone,

It seems I've caught the bug again, and have been recommended here as the best place in Perth for organising games and generally hobbying.

A little background on me - I first got into 40k as a teenager back in 2003 with the Space Marines/Dark Eldar Starter Set. I fell for the Black Templars on the cover of the box and the 3rd Ed Rulebook and have been a diehard Templars fan since. I steadily built up an army for about four years, ending up with a several thousand point (somewhat erratic Force Org wise) army of Templars. I also dabbled a little into Chaos, Grey Knights and Nids over the years. I was a real gamer first, painter second - most of the army went unpainted, it just had to hit the table to play with the friends who I corrupted into playing 40k themselves. Suffice to say, those that were painted weren't brilliant due to a lack of practice.

In my later teenage years, as so often happens, I discovered other things outside the hobby (read: girls) to spend time and money on, so my tabletop petered out save for the odd nostalgic game with friends.

Many moons have passed and I am now have a house, a job (Engineer) and an intended. In recent years, I started to find myself spending longer and longer reading 40k lore from various sources in my spare time, or strolling through GW stores in town and online for a look at all the shiny new toys. When my wife-to-be graduated Uni and started work as a Doctor - and hence odd/late working hours - she suggested I take up a hobby. Definitely all the encouragement I needed. The Black Templars were freed from their dusty prison in the back of the cupboard and shiny new toys (hello Grav Cannons) bought.

I tagged along with a friend - the last of those I had corrupted still playing - to a 40k game night last week and was hooked immediately. Last night I played my first formal game in a decade, and I have to say, things are very different. Back in my day, flyers and Superheaies and Riptides and Psychic Phases weren't a thing. It was all about good old fashioned footslogging Marines and non-Assault Terminators. The new stuff is fresh and exciting and I'm dying to get started on it.

My new resolution is an end to the legions of grey plastic or primed Marines squared off against beautifully painted armies. I'm trying to prioritise painting, and so far have 5 nearly finished Crusaders. As a point of inspiration, I keep my first ever model from more than 13 years ago on my painting table (the paint job is so poor it makes me feel a bit better about the guys I'm painting at the moment. Plus he is a sergeant with a Missile Launcher in one hand and a Flamer in the other. Yeah, I hadn't read the rules when I built/painted him...).

I look forward to meeting everyone, preferably from across a game board, and thank you all for being welcoming.

Cheers,

Steve

Post subject: Re: Back in Black, Baby
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:50 pm 

Welcome to westgamer Steve, must help you were on the right (winning) side last night, hey? ;)

(it was me with the knight)

I look forward to seeing you around--you can still play with all the old stuff, so long as you hold to a gentleman's agreement not to use too much of the new you can have a good game of it. But you can have a lot of fun with the new stuff too, so long as you're both on the same page.

Good luck with the painting, if you need some tips or advice feel free to ask, there's heaps of guys who document their armies and share their expertise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:46 pm 

Thanks Peter, good to meet you and great game last night. I'm happy playing in the new edition - I'll just need to invest in some anti-air soon - unless someone else is feeling nostalgic for 4th Ed on the odd occasion. It'll be hard to give up the newly-built/painted Graviton Devastators after their recent performance, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:47 pm 

Welcome Steve, I was the red not-blood angels marine player.

Hope to see you across the table in the future!

Nathan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 pm 

Hi steve
Sounds like you got too meet a few of the guys. Hopefully will see you down at outpost. It will be great to play some templars with my orcs I love the templars too!!
Russell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:39 am 

Cheers Nathan, look forward to more games.

Russell, sounds good - I've played against Orks all of once and lost horribly, maybe this time I won't pack a Land Raider... I'll be heading down to Outpost from Tuesday week so I'll see you there sometime.

To the forum at large - there seems to be an extended delay in my posts appearing. They do appear in the right chronological order with respect to other people's posts, but often after other people have posted. For example, I replied to Peter above before anyone else had posted, but my reply didn't appear on the page until well after the other posts had, though it was still in the right place. Is there an approvals process or something for new/all members posts?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:42 am 

There is indeed an approval process for new members - from memory its 3 posts and then it goes away. Its to help filter spam bots.

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:21 pm 

Ok great, cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:22 pm 

Hi again Steve and welcome.

I played the Blood Angel Death Company list from last Tuesday night.
looking forward to the game coming 1st week of Feb.

I mentioned I would play my 30k Imperial Fists but since your only just starting back up into the hobby I'll take the same 2000 point (Fluffy) Death company force that I took a few weeks ago. That way your sort of aware of what u will be facing.

Cheers

Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:33 pm 

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the consideration, but please feel free to use the Imperial Fists - I'm always up for playing against a new army, even if it makes winning a bit tough sometimes. I'll obviously still be using Templars, just of a different makeup than last time.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable