It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:29 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 17 Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:35 pm 

So do you need to have backed the kick starter to get the beta rules?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:50 pm 

I've just checked on the Forum and apparently you should be able to download a link for the rules from the next newsletter. Or if you just can't wait that long maybe this link will work. :D

http://manticblog.com/wp-content/upload ... WIP5.2.pdf

Happy reading!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:29 pm 

Printed it out before coming to Krags. First impression was "All my goblins got more expensive!" :(

Gonna actually have a proper read though, before i cry myself to sleep tonight. ;)

Malifaux Henchman
Currently Painting: KoW Salamanders
Models Painted this Year: 38 (2015: 265)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:29 pm 

Cheers for that.

Should I be concerned the only list not in there is Twilight Kin?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:49 pm 

No, you should be excited I think.

Here is a quote from the King of Kings of War FYI, from the Mantic Forum

"The Twilight Kin are a race full of exciting possibilities for us, but the previous list was always a placeholder until we had the time to devote to fully fleshing out the background and the accompanying model range – making it truly Mantic. This is something that we are still 100% committed to doing, but it will take time".

"All of our time at the moment is being piled into the new units created from the Kickstarter, and to what we think is an excellent progression of the core rules. We didn’t want to jeopardise this relaunch of Kings of War by trying to cram in a full redesign of the Twilight Kin as a race and model range, nor did we want to put into print another placeholder list that would be out of date as soon as the new army was finished".

"Instead, we have decided that we will release the Twilight Kin army list as an official free pdf alongside the launch of the game this summer. We will then continue the development of the Twilight Kin, and they will get a new army list, background and model range further down the line. Ideally we want to support this release with an accompanying supplement to further expand the Kings of War universe. As ever, the updated army list will be available for free online as soon as it’s finished".

So breath easy, it sounds like they are going to get a good solid nip and tuck.

Last edited by Taubad on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:52 pm 

Well, I don't think Mantic have supplied tissues with the V2 rules, but I'll be doing a little crying myself tonight. Those Elohi you love so much got a little nerfed as expected, as did a number of other things in my 'favourites' list.

But chin up Adrian, it is all in the name of balance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:18 pm 

More good news for you Adrian - drakons are also up in price and down in nerve, and only have crushing 1 + thunderous charge 1, so significantly less punchy than before once you actually catch them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:33 pm 

Quote:
So breath easy, it sounds like they are going to get a good solid nip and tuck.
...except that I bought models to use under the current list... not having much luck with these things! Can always use them as something else if they completely don't fit I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:18 am 

Seems like almost everything in the Goblin list went up. I expected it for the artillery at least, but so did the basic infantry too. The wiz got a slight discount but lost inspiring (totally not surprised), while the Biggit and Flaggit both doubled in price for almost no boost to effectiveness. Again, it's probably necessary given how cheaply i could cover their army with inspiring, but it still hurts!

Reading through the rules, I've also notice disordered units don't have to counter-charge the unit that charged them - so a block of those flyers i loathe so much can still ignore a unit that bounces of them to charge something behind! I'm curious to see whether that's intentional.

Anyway, i don't really want to moan - it's not as if my army list was bad to start with! In any case I'll be keen to test some of this out!

Malifaux Henchman
Currently Painting: KoW Salamanders
Models Painted this Year: 38 (2015: 265)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:02 am 

There sure is a lot to digest. A few unit losses to take into account, some of these losses being more than a little unpopular :lol: , but based on everything I've been reading I'm feeling confident that the developers have got the balances more or less right. I guess time and a few games will tell. Speaking of which.....Baz mentioned Friday 27th at KRAGS as a possibility last night....Baz?
Quote:
Can always use them as something else if they completely don't fit I guess.
Yeah, I've got a few units now that don't have a home :( but I hope you don't find yourself in that situation with the TK.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:31 am 

Quote:
Reading through the rules, I've also notice disordered units don't have to counter-charge the unit that charged them - so a block of those flyers i loathe so much can still ignore a unit that bounces of them to charge something behind! I'm curious to see whether that's intentional.
I think this is intentional, but I also thought this was going to be addressed too. Maybe start a post on the Mantic Forum and see what other opinions are out there about this. If I were an Angel and just got kicked in the .... knees ... by some hideous earth-spawn I'd probably take the time to clobber the lubber before moving on to my next unworthy underling.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:23 am 

Thanks for linking to the beta rules, Taubad. I've only been theory bashing lists up to this point, but I've been keeping an eye on Kings of War (and now 2nd ed) 'cause it seems like the rules are simple enough for my son to pick up the basics in the near future while still allowing for a wide variety of tactical play. It's good to see them fine tuning for balance at this point, it suggests the rules set is pretty robust.

WMH: Khador and Circle; Malifaux: Gremlins, Outcasts, Arcanists and Neverborn; X-Wing: Rebels; DWars: Prussians; Blood Bowl: Lots :) Dreadball: Humans; W40K: Space Marines; Epic: Orks and Imperial Guard; Warhammer: Empire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:51 am 

No problems at all, I'm glad to hear of your interest. Kings of War is a relatively fast game to learn and its apparent simplicity hides a significant and surprising tactical depth that develops as your experience with the rules grows....and the best part, particularly for the time-poor, is that it is quick (1.5 to 2 hours for a standard game). There is a growing list of players in Perth so it is getting easier to find an opponent too, which is good.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:56 am 

Wow, just had a look at the forums. So much rage!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:18 am 

Yeah, there are a couple of big issues cropping up on the forum for sure. The biggest one appears to be about removal of units, particularly for the non-provisional lists like Kingdoms of Men and Undead. The big change to Regeneration is also building as a significant issue.

There is a poll thread on the forum which is showing a severe swing against this particular decision (so best to have your say while you can). I guess we'll see the extent to which Mantic are still listening to and responding to their community; in the past this has always been very good and we can only hope that that continues to be the case.

But there are also a lot of really good changes evident too so on the whole I'm pretty happy with V2. Taking a global view of the comments thus far (and putting aside the emotion in the current posts) there are not that many key problems being discussed (it's just that the issues that are being discussed run quite deep). So after all the beta testing is concluded I think we will see some of the not so popular decisions reversed or modified to such an extent as to make the end product quite solid and attractive.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 17 Next