It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:27 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:08 am 

There’s already been some discussion on w00f135's blog about the mix & match options… that is one Platoon chart that consists of different armed force branches, at the extreme end say SS and Heer mixed together but I wanted to explore this a little more.

The BA rules allow it but Orange pointed out that's not how it’s “meant” to work. It's an interesting subject because the scale of Bolt Action is very small... IMO too small for artillery, possibly anything bigger than light mortars. Also Heer and SS actually did fight alongside one another at Arnhem (in fact so did the Kreigmarine!) so you could argue it's historically accurate... depending on how & where you draw the battle line... which brings into question scale.

At 28mm artillery shouldn't even be on the table... possible even in the same room :D Some people think that, when you scale in the ranges, that should apply to Flames of War too! but that would be boring. So we allow artillery on the table acknowledging it would really be further back. This is just further exacerbated in Bolt Action with artillery effectively on the front lines!... and for whatever reason a battery of one? Some straggler left behind? No, again it's more a case of the game is more interesting when we allow these units to play. A 2nd Lt would lead 2-3 squads just infantry with maybe some LMG's. Also somewhat boring. Kreigmarine IIRC didn't even have the heavier support options, they were effectively just infantry supported by or in support of, other armed force branches. So getting fussy about what units comprise a “platoon” seems odd to me.

For me the Platoon Org chart in Bolt Action is just a convenience to restrict the unit types and stop people bringing a tank company to an infantry fight when no prior arrangements have been made. In other words, its just a game mechanism that restricts what war gamers bring to the table and generally steer them towards a "take all comers" list that should be "fair" one-for-one, once unit points are considered. It's more to do with a war gaming mechanic than any kind of real life reflection on the table.

It's nice to have a theme (and I tend to do that with all my games anyway) and in most cases that is forced upon the player with theatre lists, but I don't see any issue with a bit of mix & match. Elite troops were sent on elite missions and then relieved by the PBI, rarely did they actually fight shoulder to shoulder. The same applies to Artillery being anywhere near the front lines. If that was the case, something had generally gone horribly wrong. So the whole precept is we allow all these units on the Bolt Action table because it’s interesting, not historically accurate.

So, that’s a wall of text, but what do you guys think?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:34 am 

Warlord Games make no secret of the fact that Bolt Action has no true ground scale and is designed to be played like a Commando Comic. If you go into the system knowing that this game is about fun and having those Saving Private Ryan moments then you will love each game you play. So I am happy to see mixed units. Get some variety on the table.

I will play a game of Disposable Heroes with you one night and you can compare the differences. Disposable Heroes does not use points. You get what the armies really had, it's not fair, but it's really good fun. And just as easy to play as Bolt Action. Maybe easier.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:18 am 

I do understand it's not meant to be completely realistic or historical. All I'm trying to emphasise is for people to think a bit historically, rather than just taking a unit only for its value in the game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:03 am 

I am just reading the Bolt Action Duel in the Sun book. There's a new rule in there allowing mixed nations. So Germans and Italians can fight side by side at 500pts each. Or British and free French. British & Americans. That's awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:05 pm 

Quote:
I do understand it's not meant to be completely realistic or historical. All I'm trying to emphasise is for people to think a bit historically, rather than just taking a unit only for its value in the game.
Agreed. I think the challenge , and always has been, how do you enforce that... which inevitably comes down to... in a competitive environment... a discussion about composition or sportsmanship.

In a friendly environment, it's all going to vary person to person... and does it need enforcing as such, or is it just a case of dude, how about we leave the KVs out at 600 points?

Which I think is what you've done well with the slow grow league. Here's the common rule set/understanding. I guess I am more interested in the overall community approach to Bolt Action because I see this league with so many new players effectively relaunching Bolt Action.

I am more than happy to play against all the odds and lose. It makes victory a lot sweeter. Sooner or later the guy with the KV-1 will get the idea that sure I am winning, but less and less people wanna play me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:53 pm 

KV-1s suck in Bolt Action. It's the Sherman's with auto stabilisers you gotta worry about.