[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Rise of the Eldrazi - spoilers & release info - WestGamer
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:25 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

So, by now we all should be aware that the next set in the Zendikar block is...
Here's some stuff I've dug up on it so far.
Quote:
In their quest to uncover ancient trea­sures, Planeswalk­ers have awak­ened the Eldrazi — par­a­site titans of the aether, impris­oned on Zendikar for thou­sands of years. Seem­ingly unstop­pable, these world eaters threaten all of the Mul­ti­verse and their very pres­ence has changed every­thing you know about Zendikar. To sur­vive, you’ll have to be at the very top of your game. Rise of the Eldrazi is set 3 of of 3 in the Zendikar Block.
Quote:
The pre­mier Span­ish Magic resource magicmadrid.es has an inter­est­ing post say­ing that a reli­able source has told them that the set will be entirely com­posed of two types of cards, either col­or­less cards (such as Kozilek, Butcher of Truth and Ghost­fire) or of hybrid cards (such as Beseech the Queen.)

A the­ory sug­gested on the MTG Sal­va­tion forums says that the hybrids may be colorless/colored such as the exam­ple Beseech the Queen. This would def­i­nitely be an inter­est­ing idea to add to the com­pi­la­tion of Rise of the Eldrazi knowl­edge but it is still 100% rumor.
Current Eldrazi spoilers
This one in particular looks nasty!
Quote:
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Mythic

Legendary Creature - Eldrazi
When you cast Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, draw four cards.
Annihilator 4 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices four permanents.)
When Kozilek is put into a graveyard from anywhere, its owner shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library.
12/12
Eldrazi Intro Packs revealed

ROE Ultra Pro accessories

If anyone finds anything to add - post it here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:46 pm 

Quote:
The pre­mier Span­ish Magic resource magicmadrid.es has an inter­est­ing post say­ing that a reli­able source has told them that the set will be entirely com­posed of two types of cards, either col­or­less cards (such as Kozilek, Butcher of Truth and Ghost­fire) or of hybrid cards (such as Beseech the Queen.)
Well...
The Collector number for Kozilek is 6/248. We know that Wizards orders the cards for each set by colour (WUBRG multicoloured, artifact, land), followed by name. So from that you can assume that colourless cards will come before white and given that "K" (for Kozilek) is almost halfway through the alphabet that gives you a very generous estimate of 20 pure colourless cards, like Kozilek, in the set.

Cards like Ghostfire would come under the colour of their mana cost (as per Future sight), as would hybrid cards (shadowmoor), so it's anyones guess as to how many of those there'd be.
Quote:
This one in particular looks nasty!
Isn't it also the only confirmed RoE card thus far? ;)

Malifaux Henchman
Currently Painting: KoW Salamanders
Models Painted this Year: 38 (2015: 265)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Ghostfire as well I believe.

Will be interesting to see how "Eye of Ugin" from Worldwake works with this set too - given that it references "colourless Eldrazi spells"...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

Six new Eldrazi cards revealed today! :D

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Getting Rite of Replication off on that Eldrazi would be all kinds of crazy! :shock:

EDIT: Image links all fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:44 pm 

fix images plox... I wants to see o.o

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Looks like they changed the links on me. All fixed now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:52 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Mythic

Legendary Creature - Eldrazi
When you cast Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, draw four cards.
Annihilator 4 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices four permanents.)
When Kozilek is put into a graveyard from anywhere, its owner shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library.
12/12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:26 pm 

:shock: ouch, i do not want to be on the receiving end of one of those things!

Groan with continual surges;
And behind me
Make all a desolation
T.S. Elliot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:15 pm 

That non-legendary eldrazi is an uncommon... Holy. F**k. is about all I have to say. Holy F**king F**k. I cannot wait to start drafting triple Eldrazi at FNM... whens the slated release date? Judging by the general set per 3 month rule...looking at end of april/start of may... I cannot wait... and Shards of Mirrodin has me drooling uncontrollably too.. I cannot wait for that either! I loved mirrodin! (Even with affinity being the omfgboogyman, it was still a win set)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:11 pm 

ah back to the good old magic I remember. The big power cards that if u don't have u are stuffed. And I was enjoying the set as it was. Ah well

Everytime you roll 3 1's, Somewhere Cypher dies!

BRAWL Season 2 Champion!!!!
Khorne Wanderers 3-0-0. 5 kills and counting!!! 13 in total...
Green Cave Fanatics 6-0-1, 2 deaths! chainsaw kickbacks = 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:22 pm 

Wildcarde, there is so much removal currently in Standard even big beasties like those will eat it like nothing... Hideous End, Etc Etc. Big beasty with 12/12 body? okay. Its not black? Doom blade. Hideous End. Etc etc etc. This isn't back to "Have this card or win". Look at Zen to date. Its been all about early and mid game, at least when drafting. Lots of little, aggresive creatures. These eldrazi give the set some endgame. No need to go too dramatic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:28 pm 

I'll still play. Don't get me wrong. Just one of the things I dislike about magic. I've seen it happen before. But it's how they make their money and it works. And who said it is end game? I can think of a few cheap ways to pull something like that early. And the majority of your kill a creature cards are black. So it's fine if u play black, but what if u don't. Good luck getting 12 pts of direct damage on that thing to kill it. But hey I will probably pick up a box and enjoy finding one of those in there.

Everytime you roll 3 1's, Somewhere Cypher dies!

BRAWL Season 2 Champion!!!!
Khorne Wanderers 3-0-0. 5 kills and counting!!! 13 in total...
Green Cave Fanatics 6-0-1, 2 deaths! chainsaw kickbacks = 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:15 pm 

Oh, who won't enjoy pulling them? Everyone, even the most jonny-tastic spikes have a little timmy inside them that loves big fatties. Everyone has a little timmy inside. No exception :P

(A Guide to MTG player archetypes for those who don't understand. :))
In general, mtg players fall into one of 3 catagories, Jonny, Timmy, and Spike, or a combination of these.

Jonny, Combo Player: As his name implies, Jonnies enjoy warping your face off with combos. 20/20 indestructible on turn two? you've just been jonny'd. 20,000 points of unpreventable damage? Jonny'd again. If comboable, a jonny somewhere has done it.

Timmy, Power Gamer: Timmys love big creatures. The more the merrier. The nastier, the greater the appeal. Cards like the Eldrazi appeal directly to timmys, being BIG BIG fatties with BIG BIG abilities that rock the defending players world. Stuff like trample, double strike etc on big bodies appeal.

Spike, Tournament Player: Spikes are hyper serious, always-up-to-date people who always play the best decks in the type they compete in. You'd often find your local spikes arguing over some point in the Massive (300+ Pages) Comprehensive Rules published by WotC, or discussing whether or not deck X will win worlds again this year (Of late, this has been Jund, Jund and nothing but Jund.)

There may be more archetypes i'm not aware of. These are the primary 3 :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:01 pm 

A few rebuttals (for lack of a better word) on player psychographic profiles.

1) I think your description of Dark Depths + Vampire Hexmage (Curse the lack of an auto-card feature in these forums) is more of a Johnny/Spike combo . My definition of a Johnny Combo would be Mana Web + Painter's Servant + Isochron Scepter or Freed from the Real + Bloom Tender or March of the Machines + Mycosynth Lattice + Expertiment Kraj + (Insert Planeswalker Here).

(NB: The new rules make the latter combo be less awesome. The old rules allowed you to basically play all of the abilities since Experimental Kraj is not a planeswalker. However, the new rules link all the abilities to the object that has a planeswalker ability.)

2) There are other subsets of the Timmy personality type. One of these is the griefer Timmy, who takes pleasure in watching others suffer. A good example of this would be a deck filled with The Abyss + Grave Pact effects. One of my aims (which will never get realised now that Painter's Servant is now banned in Elder Dragon Highlander) was to get the lock of Painter's Servant + Enchanted Evening + Gloom. (This combination means that no one could ever activate abilities. Tapping a land for mana is an activated ability.)

3) The two missing player psychographic profiles are Vorthros and Melvin.

Vorthros, in short, enjoys the story behind Magic and the art. They look at the card and really enjoy the detail of the artwork and laugh at the flavour text of a card. They read all the Magic books and like to pretend they are actual planeswalkers doing battle against other people.

Melvin, in short, are the rules lawyers and like the interaction between cards. They smile when they try to think what happens with how the card interacts with others like, for example, Chandra Ablaze and Library of Leng. (Short answer: it's complicated)

It should also be noted that these two psychographic profiles are on a different axes to the Timmy-Johhny-Spike Profiles.
Here is an article about Wizards thinking on the matter. (It may be a bit old but it highlights their thinking and also links to a more in-depth discussion on Timmy-Johnny-Spike)

3a) As a corollary to this point, I think you'll find that Spikes will, quite often, argue about the Infraction Penalty Guide and the Tournament Rules more than they would argue about the rules found in the Comprehensive Rules. Melvins would definitely argue about minor points in the Comprehensive Rules.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:09 pm 

In any case, enough on talking about players. It's time to talk about new spoilers.
We finally find out what level up does.
This is a common!!!
Take that Silvercoat Lion. I'm a more relevant card-type and I get to fly on turn 3
If I open this up at a Pre-release, I hope I get to pull it's level 7+ off...
Take that Vine Trellis. I'm better than you if there are more defenders in play. I also may need this for my EDH Doran deck...