[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Want to start playing magic - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:56 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:17 pm 

Hi everybody im pretty keen to start playing magic, i watched the learn to play videos on the site but im more of a hands on person. so i was wondering if anyone would be able to help me learn to play, i heard that tactics had a magic night on friday nights is that true?. i havent got any cards yet but ive got my eye on the blue/black starter deck on the website. i dont really know if black is good but i really like the art on that colour so thats why i chose that one, and from what little i picked up from watching the videos it looked like blue had some cool cards as well.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:10 pm 

Heyya,

Tactic's does run events on Fridays, but I'm not sure if it's every Friday. I would phone them on that. Alot of people also learn from the game as well, Duels of the Planeswalkers, which has many Demo's around the place so you can get some practice in. Black has always been my colour and Blue has alot of nice tricks as well. We have a couple of events coming up this year, both of which are sealed deck, which means you get 6 packs, and create your deck with the cards provided. (40 cards minimum deck size, so around 17 creatures, 6 spells and 17 land, normally 2 colours based on your card pool).

I'll be confirming the venues tomorrow so I can start advertising but if you want more details check out perthmagic.webs.com for tournament information. The old event is up there at the moment but that will get updates by this weekend.

Scott P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:13 pm 

Yes, they do, at 6pm.
Usually it's booster draft, but the last Friday of every month is standard.

For booster draft, you sign up at the counter at Tactics and pay $15 (best chance is doing it before friday, as it tends to fill up). Drafting's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Basically, you sit down at a table (usually of 8 people) and get given three booster packets (15 cards in each). You open one packet, choose one card to use in your deck, then pass the rest of packet to the person on your left (you'll get given the rest of the packet from the person to your right). Again, you choose one card, and pass the rest to the person on your left. This keeps going 'til all the cards are taken. You'll then open the next packet, and same story, with the one exception that you're now passing to your right. Then third packet, and back to your left. After all this, you'll have a pile of cards with which to make your deck (minimum 40 card deck for a draft). They supply basic lands for you to use :)
Booster drafts are also a good way to get more cards, as you keep them after.

As for learning to play, from watching the video's you should have the general gist of it. Also, in the starter decks they give you instructions on how to play. There are also usually people playing games before drafts, and sometimes just during the day at Tactics :)
In any case, the people drafting at Tactics are usually pretty good, and shouldn't mind answering if you have any questions during a game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:21 pm 

so whats the legality like these days with magic, as the last deck i bought was Migraine deck (im thinking this is now illegal - too old and because im not buying the new stuff :( lolz) so are you still banned from playing with older cards or have they relaxed the rules a bit?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:29 pm 

Well it's actually about to change soon, when the next set (Innistrad) is released.

Currently Standard format consists of the sets:
Zendikar, Worldwake, Rise of the Eldrazi (collectively Zendikar Block);
Magic 2011 (Core Set);
Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, New Phyrexia (collectively Scars of Mirrodin Block); and
Magic 2012

As of the release of Innistrad in a few weeks, it will be:
Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, New Phyrexia (collectively Scars of Mirrodin Block);
Magic 2012 (Core Set); and
Innistrad (first set of the Innistrad Block)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:32 pm 

oh well guess all my old cards are bound for the bin! shame the old migraine deck was fun (discard, damage, discard, damage, your hands to big, discard, damage, you have to many creatures, discard, damage)

well it was fun!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:35 pm 

Old cards are still valid in different formats.

Legacy and vintage for example got back to alpha and beta...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:38 pm 

I'm sure you can find someone to buy the cards if you don't want them, no need to bin them :P

Plus there are other formats that let you play older cards.
Details can be found here:
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resour ... es/formats

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, you definitely don't want to ditch them!

Older formats are massively popular. There's also a widely played format at the moment called "Commander" where you build a 100 card singleton deck (only 1 of each card allowed) from pretty much any set in the game. All of your old cards should see some play in that.

Commander is awesome fun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:06 pm 

Quote:
Commander is awesome fun.
Says the man whom I've been nagging to make a Commander deck for how long? :P

And there's no limit on basic land cards in Commander, by the way. Just any other card, you can only have 1 of :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Bah, I have a commander deck - it just needs readjusting.

Helps if I'm actually not too busy working to make it down for lunchtime games too... :roll:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable