[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
LoTR SBG Escalation League - "A Tale of Eight Gamers" - Page 23 - WestGamer
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:29 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:03 pm 

I'll check the calendar and let you know!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:54 pm 

A Saturday afternoon also works for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:48 pm 

Ok, I don't believe that there have been any suggestions for dates, so from tomorrow I'll start picking some dates and see what people think.

It sounds like one big battle in August will be hard so if the stars do not align on that one I'll suggest some smaller games for the players that can make it.

Cheers,

Bruce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:08 pm 

Sorry for the late reply. I can't do the first Sunday or the second weekend of August. The rest ate currently open except for tentative dinner plans for the third weekend.

Joel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:30 pm 

Hi folks,

ok, so if I understand correctly, no Sunday in August will work for everybody (Bloodlust can only meet on 26th, Centurions can only make it on 12th, Runejack can't play on the 1st two weekends in August) and Tuesdays won't work either because we'll run out of time.

So to accommodate everyone it seems we've only got three options:

1. Saturday 25th August at my place (and I'll borrow suitable terrain for the event)

2. Skip the big battle for August, let's play 1000 point match ups using Tuesday 21st and Tuesday 28th August and then aim for a final big battle in September. If we're going to do this I'd want to create some themed scenarios (ie: I'll bring along my gantries/platforms for an assault on Isengard).

3. Run two big battles for August - given that not everyone can make it.

Thoughts? Reactions?

Cheers,

Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:59 pm 

I'd go for option 2. Be good to run a few 1000pt games first and then finish with a big battle on a Saturday afternoon/ evening in September.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:50 pm 

Just updated the first post. Here's where the ladder currently stands:

The following players are Evil:
• Haddockswhiskey - Harad/Far Harad (Army leader is the Knight of Umbar) - Month 3 achieved (23 points) - HW's painting log
• Battle Brother Maracthor - Isengard (Army leader is Saruman) - Month 3 achieved (20 points) - BBM's painting log
• Centurions - Harad (Army leader is the Faaz Naqeeb - Mahud Beastmaster) - Month 3 achieved (20 points)

The following players are Good:
• Runejack - Elves (Army leader is Haldir) - Month 3 achieved (24 points)
• Bloodlust - Rohan (Army leader is Erkenbrand) - Month 3 achieved (24 points)
• Mister_Bruce - Dwarves (Army leader is Balin) - Month 2 achieved - best result (draw) (13 points) MB's painting log

If we go for Option 2 (playing 1000 point battles this month), my suggestion would be that I build three themed scenarios with a 'prize' at the end of each which can then be used as a 'boost' for the next battle.

If people are really keen, I could also dream up some smaller scenarios which also give a 'bonus' to the victor. For example, there is a meeting between the Elves and Dwarves to forge an alliance. The Evil player must kill the Elven (or Dwarven) ambassador before they can escape off the board. Alternatively, we could see a Rohan scenario where Isengard is trying to burn as many houses as possible before Rohan can stop them. The result might be an impact to Rohan courage (for example).

Cheers,

Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:10 pm 

I'm happy to go with any of those 3 options depending on people's preferences.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:30 am 

Just wondering if we're organising 1000pt games for the 21st August? I know the Helms Deep is this weekend so attention is focused there but need to add into the family calander if it's a goer. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:16 am 

I'd say with all the Helm's Deep action we should have our 1000 point games next month and wrap-up from there. then again, I'm happy to keep going :)

I'd love to see a map-based LOTR campaign if anyone was interested in running one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:00 pm 

Played a 700 point game against haddockswhiskey and the Red Dwarves were victorious. It was a Lords of Battle mission and fortune favoured me in the game. The Watcher didn't show up until around Turn 6 so I had ~5 turns of D7 dwarves against squishy Haradrim. When haddockswhiskey was at last broken, I hadn't lost a single model. Three wounds taken, no models lost. Never seen anything like it - I've seen one-sided battles before but this truly was a massacre. It didn't matter that my Stormcaller failed to get off Nature's Wrath.

Only one picture from the game - showing the Watcher fleeing from battle (down to 2 Wounds) and pretty much every other model in the picture is a Dwarf charging after it.

I think haddockswhiskey and I will have a rematch. He'll probably swap out some archers with some cavalry or half-trolls. We'll also need to check the rules for the Watcher's shooting attacks. Normally a model which is in base-to-base contact with another model can't shoot. But for 250 points, we're thinking that GW's intention was to make this model able to shoot and fight at the same time. Strictly by the rules, it can't shoot once in base-to-base contact, but then the point value is probably too high. I could have been mean and sent in one dwarf at a time to tie it up but I thought that would be no fun, so Balin, 2 Iron Guard and 1 Khazad Guard charged in for some slice-and-dice work. With Balin's high Fight (F6) and enough support, it made it possible to win pretty much every fight that I fought with the Watcher. That's really bad luck for haddockswhiskey.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:39 pm 

What a massacre. That's terrible luck by haddockswhiskey!
Quote:
Strictly by the rules, it can't shoot once in base-to-base contact, but then the point value is probably too high.

That's worth checking; the Watcher can drag models into contact with it using its shooting attacks, so it may be able to shoot tentacles even when enemy are in base contact. I don't have the rules for it here unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:02 pm 

Hi folks, I haven't posted in awhile. Sorry about that.

How about I post three match-ups at the 1000 point level with suggested scenarios, then whoever wins the majority of the battles (Good or Evil) will determine whether Good attacks on Evil's home ground, or vice versa, for a final 3000 point battle.

So if Good is triumphant in the majority of 1000 point battles, the final battle would probably be on a Mordor lava board (TGA Central has one) as Good attempts to destroy or capture a "Tower of Evil" (maybe I can borrow Onyx's Evil Tower for that event).

If Evil is triumphant in the majority of 1000 point battles, perhaps we create an assault on Rivendell scenario, or maybe run Helm's Deep (using the TGA Central board) or run some other suitable 'last stand' battle.

If neither Good nor Evil is triumphant (it's a draw in one of the matches) then perhaps a Pelennor Fields style battle might be appropriate.

If no one has a better idea, that's what I'd suggest that we do.

Cheers,

Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:53 am 

interested!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:05 pm 

Hi folks,

okay, here are the 3 match-ups (these were determined randomly) for 1000 points:

Battle 1 - Runejack (Elves) v Haddockswhiskey (Far Harad) - Scenario: To the Death!
Battle 2 - Bloodlust (Rohan) v Centurions (Harad) - Scenario: Domination
Battle 3 - Mister_Bruce (Dwarves) v Battle Brother Maracthor (Isengard) - Scenario: The High Ground

My suggestions for terrain are as follows:
1. Battle 1 - possibly use my Osgiliath Ruins (I have 3 sets painted now) for a city battle, or use rocky terrain. I'm thinking of a battle with choke points.

2. Battle 2 - use the Helm's Deep board at TGA Central, but ignore the fortress. Models do not set up inside. Instead this battle is being fought outside the walls of Helm's Deep and 2 of the objective markers are the Gate and the Culvert in the Deeping Wall.

3. Battle 3 - two possibilities. Either we borrow Amon Hen from Matt/Shadowlord to fight over (as the hill in the scenario) or we use some of my dungeon terrain to create an underground fight (where the 'high ground' is actually a platform higher than the rest).

Can we get these three battles done by mid-September and then plan to run our 3000 point game in late September? I don't really mind if the dates slip but this is at least putting a stake in the ground.

Cheers,

Bruce

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24 Next