[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
War Without End 2014 - week 1 pics on pg 2 - Page 5 - WestGamer
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:51 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:34 am 

Quote:
I can't wait to get a game in against someone I haven't played yet this campaign! *cough* Steve!
First thing tomorrow, I'm running Liam and Drew through a demo game but I'm free after that!

*edit - Jason here is the latest notes section for the Eldar Vampire Raider:
Quote:
Damage Capacity 2, Planetfall, Reinforced Armour, Transport. May
transport eight of the following units: Dark Reapers, Dire
Avengers, Farseer, Fire Dragons, Guardians, Heavy Weapon
Platform, Howling Banshees, Rangers, Striking Scorpions,
Support Weapon Platform, Swooping Hawks, Warp Spiders,
Wraithguard; Wraithguard count as two units each. Critical Hit
Effect: The unit and all units on board are destroyed
I'm happy to let it be your call as this was a long standing typo in the original list.
The update hasn't even officially been released yet... :D

**edit #2 - Not sure if this is different but here is the latest stats for the Warlock Titan:
The Psychic Lance is compulsory with either a Pulsar or Powerfist on the other arm by the looks of this.

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:59 am 

Hey guys, I'll be chasing games all day tomorrow in case someone is keen for a bash.

Btw - I'll be running Steel Legion. Nothing fancy, just lots of tanks. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:29 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I'm happy to let it be your call as this was a long standing typo in the original list.
That change/edit/typofix/standardization makes perfect sense, both because Wraithguard are rock hard units for air assault and because the already took up 2 spaces in other transports.
Does that actually mean Iyanden are restricted to 4 in a Vampire though, or does it actually mean that the WG Air Assault can no longer be done at all?
As I recall, WG only come as a formation of 6 (now too large for a Vampire) or an upgrade adding 3 to a Guardian formation (which already fills the transport before upgrades are added).

Quote:
**edit #2 - Not sure if this is different but here is the latest stats for the Warlock Titan:
The Psychic Lance is compulsory with either a Pulsar or Powerfist on the other arm by the looks of this.
That's a lot clearer than the old stat sheet, thanks.

That makes it effectively identical to the Phantom, except it will have two additional TKD3 attacks in firefights (not CC) instead of a 2 shot 75cm TK weapon, and it has an Inspiring rule. It's definitely a beast in assault but you'd need to plan to get the most out of it for it to be worth 100pt premium over the Phantom.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:30 am 

Quote:
Hey guys, I'll be chasing games all day tomorrow in case someone is keen for a bash.

Would you like to be my first opponent? Our previous game was so close I think you deserve an rematch to see if you can squeeze more points out of it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:44 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Would you like to be my first opponent? Our previous game was so close I think you deserve an rematch to see if you can squeeze more points out of it!
Sure thing. I'll be there at opening.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:58 pm 

Just thrashed out a new list for tomorrow. :D

Previously my list lacked any anti air and while it coped, I need the extra activations and flexibility that aircraft bring. I would have added more Core Units, but I find that Steel Legion games tend to become either a bit unwieldy with the extra Mechanised Command (especially against blasts) or too low in activations with the bonus Tank Company (unless you run lots & lots of Sentinels). The Grffons are a trial unit, bringing in an additional source of blast damage and firefight die.

REGIMENTAL HQ [500] Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera
TANK COMPANY [725] 10 Leman Russ, Griffon Battery (3 Griffons)
SENTINEL SQUADRON [100] 4 Sentinels
SENTINEL SQUADRON [100] 4 Sentinels
ARTILLERY BATTERY [250] 3 Manticores
SUPER-HEAVY TANK PLATOON [200] Shadowsword
WARHOUND TITAN [275]
WARHOUND TITAN [275]
WARHOUND TITAN [275]
THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150] 2 Thunderbolts
THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150] 2 Thunderbolts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:18 pm 

Good list.

If you want to improve it, drop the 3 griffons and add 2 Hydras; you'll need to find 25pts, but it's worth it. The reason is that you NEED ground based AA in a Guard list. A spacemarine could have landed 2 Thunderhawks by the time you get to put your first Thunderbolt on combat air patrol.

And if you can, change one Leman Russ to a Vanquisher. It's a free upgrade!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:27 pm 

Agree with Matt about the Hydras!
AA is very important for placing blast markers as well as shooting things down.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:59 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I can't wait to get a game in against someone I haven't played yet this campaign! *cough* Steve!
First thing tomorrow, I'm running Liam and Drew through a demo game but I'm free after that!
Looking forward to learning. :D

WWW.SOULRAVEN.COM
WWW.BRAWLBB.COM
Official MERCS Black Ops Representative

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:20 pm 

Quote:
If you want to improve it, drop the 3 griffons and add 2 Hydras; you'll need to find 25pts, but it's worth it. The reason is that you NEED ground based AA in a Guard list. A spacemarine could have landed 2 Thunderhawks by the time you get to put your first Thunderbolt on combat air patrol.
Quote:
Agree with Matt about the Hydras!
AA is very important for placing blast markers as well as shooting things down.
BUT what about my ALL CONQUERING & SOPHISTICATED strategy rating of... Hmmm... I see your point...

So I removed:
- 2x Thunderbolts
- Shadowsword

And added:
- Hydra (to Reg HQ)
- Hydra (to Tank Company)
- 4x Vultures

Cheers fellas :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:27 pm 

Any other folks going to be there first up tomorrow? (Preferably that I haven't played?)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:34 pm 

well it was the final week of the campaign and managed two games today. The Squats came away with two viciously fought VP wins against Jak's Orks and Simon's Eldar. Both games went to 4th turn and a total of one Victory Goal was collected from both games. Thanks to Jak & Simon for a couple of great games and I apologise for my jammy dice rolls during our games.

So the end has arrived and I would like to thanks Steve for once again running a fantastic campaign and allowing us to use ur beautiful terrain. Love the new Eldar terrain. Also, thanks to all my opponents during the campaign. If you have any feedback about the Squat list i was using then feel free to let me know what u think.

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:37 pm 

I managed two games today resulting in one loss and one rather tight - draw. :D

Game #1 vs Matt (Eldar)
Things started well with the Scorpion(Eldar Transport?) going down first shot from the warhounds. However, I completely over-extended the Mech Infantry soon after. This was a costly mistake as Matt capitalised by breaking / destroying the two "flank guard" Warhounds in quick succession before piling into the Mech Infantry with the Guardians. Supporting fire got the Eldar over the line and from there things capitulated. The Warlock (850pt Titan) survived the game too, on 1 DC point, after engaging the Leman Russ who had peppered it with shells for two turns.

Other points:
- When using skimmers, be sure to announce whether or not they are "popped up." I had them in overwatch and promptly forgot to do so, greatly inhibiting their LOS.
- The Manticores were broken fro T1 - 3.
- Sentinels are my favourite unit by far.

Game #2 vs Steve (Iron Warriors)
The Vultures started in overwatch (popped up :D) and, unfortunately for Steve, they proed to be a real thorn in his side after I made a few jammy saves. They pretty much tied down movement on one half of the board. From here, my two highlights funnily enough both came from... SENTINELS! The moments of glory included (1) tying down an Ordinatus, unit of Defilers and Land Raider formation in a single turn and (2) corralling a unit of defilers into the corner, protecting the BTS, breaking a unit of Obliterators and providing the opportunity for crossfire - all at once. Sadly, and as you can tell, very surprisingly, neither unit survived the game. :lol:

From here, there was a real struggle as the Iron Warriors were consistently being beaten back, but not destroyed outright whereas the Steel Legion, once broken, usually died soon after. The game played out for four turns and after there was only a 1:0 objective count, it went to Victory Points. Of a possible 6,000pts - 50pts split the two sides. Very close and enjoyable game.

Other points:
- Manticores again broken from Turn 1.
- Planes are great at removing broken units.
- Defilers bring a whole new meaning to "closing the gap." What's that you say? Terrain? ZOC? Pah, we have infiltrate and walker and MW attacks!
- There was alot of reinforced armour, thick rear armour and just armour generally to which I had no MW / TK counter.

List Alterations
I was pleased with how the list operated. Unfortunately it seems that every opponent has an "instant fix" to Artillery units, be it via teleport (where I have Strategy Rating 2 vs 4 or higher) or other artillery (once again, almost always going second). I figure, since blast templates can have a large impact on how someone plays, I will swap the Artillery and Vultures for a Marauder Squadron and Shadowsword Platoon. by relying on planes, i can at least be guaranteed a shot (or an option as to how much AA fire they receive) which the manticores cannot.

I do like the Vultures, but they are high priority targets, lack armour and cost a pretty penny. The Shadowsword will be easier to hide, has better armour and a gun that is TK(D3). Subtle right.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:18 pm 

Well the War Without End campaign has drawn to a close for this year with a resounding victory to Matt!
Well done mate. A 100% win rate from your 8 games - outstanding stuff.

Week 4 saw 9 players play 6 more games.
  • Drew - Tau Third Phase Expansion
    Liam - Tau Vior'la
    Matt - Biel-Tan
    Nick - Steel Legion
    Simon - Biel-Tan
    Joel - Ghazghakull Orks
    Duro - Squat War Engines
    Jak - Ghazghakull Orks
    Steve - Iron Warriors
Game results:
  • Drew vs Liam - 1:1 draw (BTS to BTS)
    Matt vs Nick - 4:0 win to Matt (BTS, TnH, DTF & TSNP)
    Simon vs Joel - 4:0 win to Simon (Blitz, TnH, TSNP & DTF)
    Duro vs Jak - 1:0 to Duro (DTF) Victory points win to Duro
    Nick vs Steve 1:0 to Nick (TnH) Victory point DRAW
    Duro vs Simon - Victory point win to Duro
Photos of week 4:
Drew’s Third Phase expansion Tau and Liam’s Vior’La Tau fight a fierce civil war.

Nick’s Steel Legion try to take on the might of Matt’s Biel-Tan.

Joel’s Ork Waaagh challenge the Biel-Tan of Simon.

Jak’s Ork horde hurls itself at Duro’s Squat War Engines.

Simon’s Biel-Tan are next up for Duro’s Squats.

And the final game of the campaign saw Nick’s Steel Legion and Steve’s Iron Warriors duke it out for a 4 turn draw (but allowing Nick to capture a map territory off Steve).

So the final layout of the campaign map looks like this:

A comfortable win to Matt (as usual :) ).
Interesting facts:
12 players have played 20 games of Epic over the last 4 weeks.
Matt played 8 games and won every single one (the rest of us need to lift our game).

Victory Goals scored over the 20 games:
  • Take and Hold – 19
    Break Their Spirit – 12
    Blitz – 11
    Defend the Flag – 9
    They Shall Not Pass – 6
As usual with this campaign, there is a great reward in participation. I value players turning up and joining in the fun more than winning or losing!
A big Thankyou to all 12 players that joined in (and to all the interested onlookers that watched).
Also a HUGE thanks goes out to Tabletop Gamers Association for the amazing support and encouragement they provide!

The War Without End will continue in 2015!
Steve.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:13 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
What?!?!? The old way made perfect sense. Sure the Wraithguard are bigger than aspects, but really, those show-boating girls should take up more room, with all their mod-cons and entourage. All the Wraithguard do is sit there until they are told to jump out and vapourise a Leman Russ Company.

Seriously, I'm fine with the new rules. Just as well I didn't eBay a few Vampires then. It looks like I need to acquire a few more Wave Serpents for my guys though so everyone can pack away their AA now.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next