[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Rising Fury – Team Game 12 July@Outpost - Page 54 - WestGamer
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:12 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous 152 53 54 55 56 Next
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:59 am 

I see on the latest Warlord newsletter that a PDF for Night Fighting rules has been released for free download. I have had a go at downloading it but it ain't happening. Has anyone managed to get a digital copy of these rules?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:16 pm 

Haven't tried sorry man!

So next up is the 1250 point game on 14 June at Outpost.

As mentioned before, you may now take two reinforced platoons if you so desire. But still, nothing over medium.

For this round's mission each player will need to have 4 objectives. These need to be either 40mm round or 40mm square.

Feel free to model them in them with your army with ammo/fuel dumps or a wounded soldier or whatever you like, but objectives cut out of paper will also do if you don't have time.

I'm just going to make mine out of 40mm round Renedra bases with the French flag painted on it!

Hope to see lots of people there.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:31 pm 

Quote:
I see on the latest Warlord newsletter that a PDF for Night Fighting rules has been released for free download. I have had a go at downloading it but it ain't happening. Has anyone managed to get a digital copy of these rules?
Downloaded fine for me.

http://www.warlordgames.com/downloads/p ... ghting.pdf

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:37 pm 

Sounds great Peter. Sadly I will be away from Perth at the time but will look to play catch-up for this 1250 match sometime between 24 June - 5 July for anyone else that ends up missing out (could be at either Outpost or KRAGS). I'll post an LFG closer to that time.

Thanks for the Night Fighting link eckythump, much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:25 pm 

should have enough time to get this but I go to Canada all of July so I will miss the last game :(

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:33 pm 

Sadly I will miss the next round in its entirety. I have the wife's family coming in from overseas and have not had a chance to do anything on my army. I will sit this June round out and get back for the final round in July.

By then I should have found a chance to assemble and paint the remains of my planned list.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:08 pm 

Looks like I'll be able to make both nights this month for the first time :D

Just wondering Orange - how strict do the objective sizes need to be? I've one circular 6cm and three that are 6.5x5cm. Can I use these or should I fashion some?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:33 am 

Quote:
Looks like I'll be able to make both nights this month for the first time :D

Just wondering Orange - how strict do the objective sizes need to be? I've one circular 6cm and three that are 6.5x5cm. Can I use these or should I fashion some?
I don't want to be an objective Fuhrer but yeah, I want everyone to have objectives the same size, it's kind of the point ;)
If you don't want to put any effort into new ones that's fine, just make some out of paper. 40mm is the tournament standard so if you do plan to play in them at some point they'll be useful to have.

Had a make up game for 1000 points the other night. Was great to get a game in (thanks John!) but it reinforced not going to 1500 to me. I found 1000 points with 29 dice between us to be a bit slow. I much prefer the game at smaller sizes.

Last edited by Orange on Thu May 26, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:38 pm 

Quote:
I found 1000 points with 29 dice between us to be a bit slow. I much prefer the game at smaller sizes.
Thanks again for the game Peter, I really appreciated the opportunity to re-play the Demolition scenario at 1000pts. Yeah, our game was a bit slow with all those dice. I might be using some vets at 1000+ pts sizes in future, just to speed things up a bit. I quite agree with smaller games being more action-packed and fun, and note that the Norwegian(?) blokes that post up their games on the Tabletop Battle channel play at around 700-1000pts much of the time (makes for a bit more list fragility and thus dynamism in games of that size).

Have fun with the 1250pt League games guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:23 pm 

I think it really boils down to forces. I started playing elite on elite, and the game didn't really feel right until 1000pts. Likewise late war and expensive tanks, I think more points may be needed. However, I agree that if someone spends those points on cheap troops, your going to have a long slow game.

I wonder if the balance for this is game timers. Been playing some competitive style Netrunner and it's a game that can result in glacial games. The timer steers people away from that play style.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:31 pm 

Quote:
I wonder if the balance for this is game timers. Been playing some competitive style Netrunner and it's a game that can result in glacial games. The timer steers people away from that play style.
It's kind of the problem though--France doesn't do elite! I'm not making a point of doing a high dice army, it's just what happens when you don't have expensive troops. If I wanted to do that I'd need a completely new army, like using Foreign Legion.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:50 pm 

Yeah I like the sound of trying out timers in Bolt Action (I have a chess clock and am happy to bring it along for a game). We have been using timers in recent Kings of War tourneys and they really help push the game along (not that it needs much pushing). Timers work best in game systems where 'I move/shoot all my stuff, then you move/shoot all your stuff' represents a game turn. In a Bolt Action order-dice setting a timer might advantage a dice-max list unless the timer is flicked with every dice pull, which might become tedious (and with upwards of 20-30 dice pulls per game turn in a big order-dice-heavy game may lead to mistakes/confusion and we can't have any of that during a battle :lol: ).

From what I have seen more experienced players tend to mix in a fair amount of veterans with the regulars or go veteran-heavy, probably because they want to have a fast and fun game with high stakes rather than a longer and seemingly more drawn-out game. So maybe the Bolt Action system is self-regulating in that sense. I can only directly reference my own experiences here where I have consciously focused on using Regular-only lists during the League so I get to see lots of different units interacting and have lots of order dice as a type of end-game insurance cover against my rookie errors; I think this approach has helped me learn the system. Now that I have a reasonable understanding of the game I can see myself aiming for 8-12 unit lists with a mix of veterans and regulars appropriate to the points size and historical setting. That approach is obviously going to mean taking more risks which = more fun for me and my opponent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:18 pm 

Chess timers could be a go. In my last game I think I had 13 dice vs. 11, which with some lucky attacks kept my number of orders in front for the whole match.

Unsure about you guys, but I'm thinking at 1250 I can't do justice to a second reinforced platoon (to get the second tank) and as 1500 is questionable I may just beef the list with more Veterans to hit 1250 anyway?

I thought that ~13 dice was pretty heavy going for a Tuesday night match.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:41 pm 

I won't make it to the Outpost June games night but there is an outside chance I may make it to Gamagori (and if not will be after a make-up game at 1250pts soon after). So, after quite a bit of de-clustering (aka dice reduction) here is what I have in mind. It will be two platoons: 1 Veteran and 1 Regular (for a total of 12 Dice). Hopefully small enough to prevent too much dice-drag but tough enough to hit hard and keep on hitting.

First Platoon (all Veteran) - 7 Dice
2nd Lieutenant plus 1 Rifleman
Marksman
Cavalry Section (1NCO+9 Troopers - all with Lances)
Motorised Cavalry Section (1NCO+9 Riflemen+BAR)
Field Car (Pinz302) with Pintle-mounted MMG
7TP Tank with twin MMG turrets
Wz34 Armoured Car (with Light Anti-tank gun)

Second Platoon (all Regular) - 5 Dice
2nd Lieutenant plus 1 Rifleman
Infantry Section (1NCO+14 Riflemen+BAR)
Infantry Section (1NCO+14 Riflemen+BAR)
Medium Howitzer
7TP Tank (37mm Light Anti-tank gun and Coaxial MMG)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:10 pm 

I think I'm going to do something similar after the league--for 1000 points plus I'll put in some vets and drop some of my other units or numbers. I think it's the way to make a more enjoyable game.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous 152 53 54 55 56 Next