[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Operation Market Garden 2016 - Page 2 - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:19 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:46 pm 

My interest lies in WW2. Don't care what flavour it is. Do have some FOW stuff painted, although never played it before. Keen to learn both.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:27 pm 

Depending on timing and work (travel) commitments I may well be up for all or some this campaign in Bolt Action format.

My Poles could either 'counts-as' British para's or instead could easily assume the role of Sosabowski's glider and parachute infantry forces (Polish 1st Independent Parachute Brigade). These guys landed near Driel (about 4km WSW of Arnhem) during Market Garden ended up helping cover the retreat of Britain's finest after their brave but ultimately futile attack on the city. Their AT section ended up in Oosterbeek supprting the Brits, so no AT guns with the Polish main force (ouch!). I'd just need to convert-up some PIAT-wielding Poles to add to my SMG-totting Poles, maybe add a jeep or two, and I'd be good to go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:18 am 

Hey Dave,

Made you a quick URL to promote this down the line when you are ready:

https://tinyurl.com/marketgarden2016.

Hope your weekend went well.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:29 am 

Quick Update on where I am at with campaign planning.

The plan for this is a kick-off in August/September, so either wrapping up around the time of the operation, or starting around it.

My current thinking is a large map based game. I have the Firestorm game from Battlefront and it's pretty simple to modify it for Bolt Action, so both systems will be permissible. The Firestorm system requires each side to have a "General" to perform unit movements, etc. To further enhance that I am planning on using a campaign management system (on the PC) which will manage all the movement and supply issues for us, as well as provide "Intel" reports. I still have some work to do setting up that system and trying it out to see what it's limitations are. So it wont be precisely the Firestorm system, but something close to it.

The only problem I have had in the past with this style of campaign is finding the time to update the map. So this time I am thinking of adding another historical element... communications. Not always reliable, not always the best. So rather than publish a map, I'm going to let the Generals of each side work it out from everything they hear, intel reports, etc.

I will be playing and I am hoping that the system will allow data entry without my intervention so I am just as much in the dark as my follow Commanders. If that's not possible I'll step back and just point my forces where my General directs my troops to go.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:59 am 

Sounds pretty cool actually, we probably shouldn't have a god like view of the whole thing!

I think I'm going to stick with Americans, plastic paratroopers are due soon, but if they don't drop in time (haha) then I can use my normal infantry until they do.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:05 am 

I'll be away in august and September but if its still running around October I can bring my Yank Tanks to rumble along.

#ShermanLife

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:20 am 

I'm still keen on this (Polish paratroopers) but work looks like it will be very busy by then so if I can make it my Poles will most likely drop into the LZ as a reinforcement part-way during the battle (just like they did back in the day). I'll keep watching this thread and re-confirm presence/absence closer to the start time.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:42 pm 

I'll prop up the Germans. I can bring Tank wars and normal platoons.

Name your points value. :mrgreen:

"Cry "Havoc!!", and let slip the dogs of war" Julius Caesar; Act III, Scene I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:12 pm 

Good point there Mikey. Points will be basically up to players. In the Firestorm system there's usually some bonus troops as well, depending on what the generals want to commit, so I'll set a minimum baseline, but players can play more than that up to whatever level they want, Bolt Action or Flames of War.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:25 pm 

I'm happy to play Bolt Action against Flames of War--I will crush your puny tanks under the heels of my mighty infantry!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:16 pm 

Looks like there are already a couple of Germans so I'll go US paras - 101st would be good, prefer not to have to paddle across the Waal River in little boats!
Cheers
Paul

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:21 pm 

Quote:
prefer not to have to paddle across the Waal River in little boats!
Indeed, but if you get Mr Redford along for the boat trip then Mr Kruger will likely wet his explosives and all will be well. Anyway, messing around in boats is always fun.

Just ordered some much needed heavy-hitting reinforcements to morph my 1939 Poles into their 1944 counterparts. Coming soon will be 1 x 17pdr super heavy ATG and a couple of PIAT teams. I just need to find a suitably imposing figure to represent Gen. Sosabowski (Blacktree may have something suitable perhaps) and get them all licked with paint and I'll be pretty much ready to harness-up and head for the LZ. I think the Poles did a river crossing as well but I don't think it was an opposed crossing.