[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Black Control - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:32 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Black Control
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:40 pm 

Just kicking an idea around.

Back in the day, black control with Thrashing Wumpas was brutal. Not to mention Necrodecks. But Necro is gone and there's no real card drawing engine for black that I can see. Sign in Blood is obviously good. Immortal Coil looks awesome, but there's no realistic way to remove it. Seer's Sundail is pretty good-looking.

But yeah. The idea I had here, was to build a mono-black control deck with a similar style to the original one.

This is what I came up with.

4 Malakir Gatekeeper
4 Vampire Hexmage
3 Pestilence Daemon
4 Duress
3 Mind Sludge
4 Consuming Vapors
4 Smother
4 Consume Spirit (Oh look, it's Drain Life)

3 Liliana Vess
3 All is Dust

4 Dread Statuary
4 Tectonic Edge
16 Swamps

Why the choices I made?
- Malakir is removal.
- Hexmage wrecks Planeswalkers and anything with tokens.
- Pestilence Demon is Thrashing Wumpas, but massive.
- Duress and Sludge are discard, removing threats before they're an issue.
- Vapors is great. It'll always be 2:1. Plus Sacrifice nails Eldrazi and pro-black monkeys.
- I went with Vess, because she's a $5 rare and incredibly useful in this type of deck. She's discard, she's a tutor and she can make me win the game.
- All is Dust is what Nevinyarrl's Disk was. A reset button for black.. and it can kill stupid angels that stop me casting black spells.
- Dread Statuary for an extra uncounterable damage source.
- Tectonic Edge to kill manlands.

How's it feel? Think it'll cut it?

edit:

Random question about Liliana. Her -8 is "put all creatures in all graveyards into the battlefield under your control."

If she dies, do I lose control? I assume no, right?

Post subject: Re: Black Control
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:53 pm 

They are yours til they die. Looks good.
What about marsh casualties as an early sweeper?

Everytime you roll 3 1's, Somewhere Cypher dies!

BRAWL Season 2 Champion!!!!
Khorne Wanderers 3-0-0. 5 kills and counting!!! 13 in total...
Green Cave Fanatics 6-0-1, 2 deaths! chainsaw kickbacks = 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:03 pm 

I was thinking Marsh Casualties in the sideboard. I don't want to go nuts on creature removal main deck, because I'll just draw dead cards if I play against control.

Not sure I'd call it an early sweeper either. It's BB for -1/-1.. kick for 3 (total 5) for -2/-2. Probably rarely cast it at BB. I'd be more inclined to go with Tendrils of Corruption- buy time until I can shred the hand and cast All is Dust.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:30 pm 

So I've had a really, really good think about the deck and the way it works. I've trolled around the internet and come up with various ideas.

The amalgamation of all that work was thus:

Black Control v2.0
4 Malakir Gatekeeper
4 Vampire Nighthawk
3 Nightmare

4 Duress
2 Mind Sludge
3 Consume the Meek
4 Tendrils of Corruption
4 Smother

2 Sorin Markov
4 Sign in Blood
2 Grim Discovery

19 Swamps
3 Tectonic Edge
2 Gargoyle Castle

Side:
4 Deathmark
4 Infest
4 Vampire Hexmage
3 Bojuka Bog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:44 pm 

What about the enchant land that makes target land a swamp and cause damage when tapped. Nothing like a bit of mana screwage for control

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:00 pm 

I'd end up using it the same way that U/W control uses Spreading Seas; to control manlands.

But in that respect, I have multiple Consume the Meeks and Tectonic Edges. I don't fear manlands.

Maybe in the sideboard to try to manascrew Jund.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:25 pm 

OMG. I own all the cards to make this deck.

4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Vampire Nighthawk
3 Nightmare

3 Consume the Meek
4 Smother (Disfigure, or Urge to Feed?)
4 Tendrils of Corruption

3 Mind Sludge
4 Inquisition of Kozilek

4 Sign in Blood

2 Soren Markov

20 Swamps
3 Tectonic Edge
2 Gargoyle Castle

sb:

4 Deathmark (vs. any White or Green creature deck. Even Jund, I suspect.)
4 Vampire Hexmage (Anyone with tricks or Planeswalkers.)
3 Boujaka Bog (or Sadistic Sacrament? For anyone with Vengevines or graveyard combo)
4 Malakir Bloodwitch (Any control deck with white or WW)

What would you do to make it more effective?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:01 pm 

I'd probably run the bogs main deck, as it's kinda pointless having them sideboard. The only thing s they don't synergise well with tendrils or mind sludge or nightmare, but that isn't that big a deal. I'd consider duress sideboard for that early card hit against control, before the sludge. I'd go smother over urge to feed. If you can find some I'd sonsider a consuming vapours or 2. Expensive but good for stalling your opponent for a turn, cos they know if they bring something out it will die next turn.
Looks good tho

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:34 pm 

It's a bit of a toss-up between Inquisition and Duress. I'm thinking I can take early drops with Inquisition and Sludge the rest.

And yeah. That's why I'm kinda iffy on the Bog's. They're bad for Nightmare, Tendrils or Sludge. Two bombs and a win condition. Maybe I should just run Shadowfeeds instead, so I can pinpoint removal problem cards in the graveyard.

I'm leaning towards Smother as well, as it can kill Manlands where as Urge to Feed can sometimes (ie; Raging River after the first attack) and Disfigure generally can't.

I'm thinking about putting the Bloodwitches in main. Or running a single Drana. Or even Ob Nixilis. I think Drana as she's also spot removal.

I'm not sold on Vapors. It's obviously good- but the decks it's best against will have other creatures to sacrifice before getting to the juicy targets. Plus, it's a Sorcery.

Duress.. there's no room in the sideboard. Unless.. hm. I'm open to suggestion on that one.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:23 pm 

Bloodwitch is always useful. Drana I am running at the moment in my vamp deck. Late game she will be an absolute bomb.
With 4 gatekeepers I think 11 other removal is probably not needed. Maybe drop all the smothers for more creatures or duress? Tho duress and inquisition serve the same function. I'd drop the bogs from sideboard, or maybe throw 1 or 2 mainboard. And then can put duress etc sideboard. Just a thought. Sorin is pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm not sold on Vapors. It's obviously good- but the decks it's best against will have other creatures to sacrifice before getting to the juicy targets. Plus, it's a Sorcery.
I think vapours will be incredible in a deck that also runs Consume the Meek. Get rid of all the little chumps first, then follow up and force them to sac their big stuff or not cast any more for a turn or so. Awesome.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:11 am 

Have you considered Doom Blade? I thought it would be a standard in any black controll.
Switch those out for your Deathmarks imo.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:17 pm 

Doom blades are great, but the nonblack creature can be an issue. As such a lot of people prefer the tendrils/smother combo, which hits everything that you want to hit. Maybe a couple main deck would be a go, or possibly instead of a few deathmarks from sideboard.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:49 pm 

Terror was never a maindeck card, neither is Doom Blade.

With the sheer volume of gold creatures that contain black, Vampire decks and the like.. non-black is too much of a liability.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:14 am 

Quote:
With the sheer volume of gold creatures that contain black, Vampire decks and the like.. non-black is too much of a liability.
Err Gold creatures that are payed for with a colour mana are considered that colour as well as others?

I really need to stop playing house rules.