[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Malifaux Book 4 - Teasers etc - Page 10 - WestGamer
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:25 pm 

Having nothing for Hamelin is more an interesting symptom of changing design philosophy than anything else - there is only the one Insignificant non-Totem model in the book, with the clear underlying notion that it's more fun when your crew members can take part in objectives. The book is also filled with Living human and human-like models, compared to Book 2's non-Living extravaganza. Hamelin isn't fond of significant Ht 2 models, so gets basically bugger-all.

Anyway, I feel like Hamelin is one of the most theme-complete crews, which only gets less compelling the more you dilute it with weird out-of-faction stuff like Terror Tots. Beyond adding new kinds of rats and other vermin, I can't see many avenues for expanding his crew, and he honestly doesn't need it in any case.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:30 pm 

yeah i have to agree in most parts.

there is less Insignificant and they have seemed to replace it with lots of Harmless and Immune to Influence models.

I think it is more a case of Wyrd admitting that Hamelin is broken.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:19 pm 

Quote:
I think it is more a case of Wyrd admitting that Hamelin is broken.
Not true at all, Nothing much in the new book is master specific other than for the new masters in the book and Vanessa, id say everything else is faction specific they even cracked down on what Zoraida could take thanks to annamosity.
IMHO hamlen recieved nothing purely because there was nothing to add that would fit in thematicly for both him and ten thunders, besides he has had more than enough love in other books and is a rare character to go from minion-Master-Avatar. not even Misaki got it good.... though she is crazy now.
he is not broken either. Broken to me is no matter the scenario, terrain or other variables you still own. sadly this is not the case for hamlen when the game is played properly.

At least in Book 4 Neverborn get the short end of the stick compared to other factions not saying they suck as Jacob and co a still awesome but compared to Mei Fang/ Misaki/and Yan Lo in particular they fall behind.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:57 pm 

There's broken and there's broken. Hamelin with his pure rat crew is a nasty newbie-stomper because he changes how the game is played in several ways, the most obvious being that it's incredibly difficult to just beat him through violence. However, once you get a handle on his mechanics, he's eminently beatable, just incredibly dull to play and to play against, which sucks.

It's when he goes beyond his basic crew or his intended mechanics that he's properly broken. Terror Tots are obviously the main culprit here in terms of additional hires, and the Soulstone generator list for Slaughter is clearly beyond how he's meant to be played. That's where the problems come in. If his ability to hire Ht 1 models was modified a bit, and he was unable to drain souls from insignificant models even if he made them significant, then he would honestly be fine balance-wise... but he'd still be boring as (censored) to play. They need to come up with ways to alter his core mechanics so that he's fun as well as balanced.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:05 pm 

I have always found he wins in two main ways;

Forcing the opponent to activate better models before me; I crank 10+ activations a turn and the first are rats walking.

The second is making the nasty enemies insignificant, which is hard late game, but depends on how many activations I can do.

Pandora, Sonnia and Witchling Stalkers are threats to Hamelin IMHO, the other stuff, not so much, he is a toolbox which is why he is hard.

I would much prefer they change his rule to nerf some of his stuff, but allow him more options force-wise.

Anyway, I will stop harping on about. I do love the Malifaux system . . . I just need a new faction ;)