[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Ultimate Wyrdness - Generating interest in Malifaux - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:19 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:04 pm 

So it’s been a while since we saw many posts on Wyrd games here on Westgamer. The truth is Malifaux needed a new edition and getting to that edition took over a year. It also took a concerted effort by many henchmen worldwide including our own local talent to playtest and to contribute to the great games that have emerged this year.

The good news is that Malifaux has emerged so much stronger in this edition, so much easier to play, and just as tactically challenging. With Wyrd converting to plastics and releasing some other great games, and this month an RPG, it's an exciting time.

It's also true to say that Wyrd also did a superb job of creating central sites and that they are bursting with new content. The problem is this just doesn’t get the message out there in the local community. Both nationally and internationally there is some stunning stuff going on, but unless you know where to look, you'd miss it.

Ultimate Wyrdness then is a trawl of the interwebz, the twitterverse and of course good old Facebook, to show you what Wyrd is all about. I'll post up weekly what catches my eye, as will the other Henchman, but don't be afraid to post up your findings, you own efforts, or any cool thoughts or questions.

There's three of us now actively Henching here in WA, as far as I know, Rathnard, One Second Of Insanity and myself. I won't pretend to be the most knowledgeable of the three, but if ever you want to take the game for a spin, then please do not hesitate to PM us or post in this forum. The nearest Henchman will answer the call for local games/demos and we'll chime in on our favorite subject!

Sites you might want to check out:
Wyrd's Website - Primary Website, Store & Forums
Wyrd Chronicles - Wyrd's Magazine
A Wyrd Place Facebook Group - 2100 members, a great source for inspiration and motivation
Rathnard's Blog - Rathnard's Play it Painted Blog
GMorts Unboxing Blog - Great unboxing and aseembly information
Twitter - Malifaux is very popular in the twitterverse

Podcasts worth a listen!
A Wyrd Place
Cheated Fates Radio
Through the Breach
Before We Begin
The Growling Cow
Soulstone Train
Malifools

Thanks for looking and if you have resources or things to share, then please do post them here.

Thanks

Last edited by brotherpaulos on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Ultimate Wyrdness
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:04 pm 

So first real post for Ultimate Wyrdness

Things that caught my eye this week:
WIP Rail Golem by Kyle Kolbe
Francisco & Sammuel by Virak Whatthefaux
Two Executioners by Erasmus Wellingstone
Game in Progress - A showdown between the Lone Mashall, Sonnia & Hannah
Jacob Lynch by Nicholas Job
Various Models by Martin Manson

Sneak Peaks that are escaping on what the October releases might include:

In other news we celebrated our first M2E tournament in the state since the release of wave 2 recently. Finally we could choose any crew, any master and play them the way M2E intended them. I had a shocking day, only really winning one game, but having a blast.

At the same time the Australian GT was going off over East. I attended last year and I’ll be looking to go again next year, work permitting.
Pics Here

And over the pond in the UK they are planning their GT for November. 66 players signed up for that bad boy. I think we Aussies need to go next year and show the colonies can represent, or in my case loose.....

Lastly, I'll give a mention to a couple of basing Kickstarters in progress. If like me you bought a few new crews around Gencon, you might want to have a look at these KS. With the rewards unlocked, you're getting a fair few bases depending on your pledge level:
Microart Studios
Wargames Bakery

Thanks for looking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:25 am 

Well on a personal note as I am finally building models again I am making up a whole heap of Through The Breach Characters (of which I know Paul is doing as well) in addition my Marcus crew is slowly coming together.

... but getting in the way of some of that is my desire to make a new Seamus crew just for fun, that is in no small part to rcently having watched a great series called Penny Dreadful. There is certainly something about Victorian horror ...

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:32 pm 

Thanks Liam,

Yeah I've been hanging out for the Penny Dreadful series for some time. Looks like a great premise. I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from Ripper Street, especially the second series that is focussing on a lot of advancements and how they transformed Victorian London and how the bad guys can take these inventions and twist their purpose or benefit. Going to be using some of that as inspiration for my early TTB episodes.

As an update for anyone reading this today Microarts basing Kickstarter revealed a great reward for pledgers. I think the graveyard, desert, planking, mystic, trash & industrial sets all look good for faux models. $80 for 136 bases in four different styles was a no brainer for me.

Microart KS

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:55 pm 

Any chance you have any contacts down in Bunbury area interested in Malifaux?

I have been doing my best to rustle up interest over the last 12 months, but there is only 3 of us that regularly play at G cubed in Bunbury.

If you get contacted by anyone looking for games down my way, get them to flick me an email to benjaminjanssen88 at gmail.

I have crews from Arcanist, Outcast, Never born and Resurrectionists. Happy to show anyone the ropes who would like to take a ride through the breach.

Would be great if any of you henchman have a chance to swing through Bunbury at some stage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:06 am 

As it happens I'm down in MR next week, I'll PM you about possibly meeting up for a game.

I know Rick (Wanderingfool) has moved down to MR, is he a regular?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 am 

Nope. Bunbury is a bit far for me to want to make the trip regularly (yes, I know there are plenty of people who make longer trips for their hobby fix). But then I didn't realise that there were Malifaux players at G Cubed, I thought it was mostly 40k.

I have Outcasts, Gremlins, Arcanists and a few Neverborn.

Is there any particular day you guys meet?

WMH: Khador and Circle; Malifaux: Gremlins, Outcasts, Arcanists and Neverborn; X-Wing: Rebels; DWars: Prussians; Blood Bowl: Lots :) Dreadball: Humans; W40K: Space Marines; Epic: Orks and Imperial Guard; Warhammer: Empire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:54 am 

dam .. I needed this thread last week as I was down in MR could have hooked up for a game.

Paul you may have to organise a road trip to G cubed.

my blog http://firewaterportal.blogspot.com/
email firewaterportal@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:07 am 

I already am Justin. I'm in the area next Wednesday night, teeing up a game right now...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:53 am 

Sorry Justin...

I think rather than hijacking this thread I might start another to help road trippers and locals from this part of the world tee up games, particularly for some of the smaller game systems.

WMH: Khador and Circle; Malifaux: Gremlins, Outcasts, Arcanists and Neverborn; X-Wing: Rebels; DWars: Prussians; Blood Bowl: Lots :) Dreadball: Humans; W40K: Space Marines; Epic: Orks and Imperial Guard; Warhammer: Empire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:07 am 

So returning this thread to topic, here's my weekly roundup of all things Wyrd. If you've seen something interesting then please add it here.

So first up and hot off the presses is an email from Wyrd with the October releases. Most we had already covered in our inaugural post but there were a couple of additions....

Von Schill boxed Set

Through the Breach RPG

This one has me particularly excited and I'll be opening up another thread tonight with details of some intro sessions I'm running to give folks the opportunity to take it for a test run.

But in others news and trawling the interweb, twitter verse and social media it's been another great week for painting, with a few examples below, and for podcasts.

In the podcast world A Wyrd Place and Cheated Fates Radio both released interviews with Wyrd's newest staffer and RPG developer Aaron Darland. Both are well worth a listen to and hear what plans there are for TTB RPG. Voice of Mars You Tube Channek and Through the Breach Podcast have also released RPG sessions for you to watch and listen too. The

Growling Cow and a new podcast called 'Chasing Bacon' also released Malifaux episodes this week for your listening pleasure.

So onwards to the pretties:
Converted Waldgeist - Simon Ginsberg

Whiskey Golem - Benny Pawloski

Terror Tots - Virak Whatthefaux

McCabe - amongtheway art studio

WIP SWAMP BOARD by Peter Rees

Lilith crew by Jarrett Lee

Miss Ery by Daniel Linacre

WIP Mr Greaves by Dave Matney

Collodi & Puppets by Andrew Caterline

Lucius by Ricard Stinson

Thanks for looking and if any of this catches your eye, or you would like a demo, please post and let us know!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:25 am 

I love all the Clockwork Orange references, and the psycho babies and teddies.

This game is messed up... I have to try it!! :D

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

Dystopian Wars June 2013 Campaign TFR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:12 am 

So it's only two weeks until I move to Perth with a slight change of plans; I'll be in Riverton instead of Nollamara like I originally expected. What clubs would be closest for me to learn how to play? So far I only have the Ramos box, but I'll probably pick up Raspy and some December Acolytes in a few weeks time.

I've been using Batal for most of my wargaming (when they have the stock in) but are there other places I can buy Malifaux from when Batal haven't got stuff in? I've endured the pain of awaiting one of their restocks before and while their prices are dirt-cheap, sometimes I don't want to wait a few months for models.

EDIT: If there's a league/campaign or something starting up in the near future, count me in!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:37 pm 

Outpost is still probably the closest.

I will be organising a league for November (probably starting mid month and go through to the end of the year) and that will be at Outpost.

I tend to buy from Batal or in person at Tactics when I'm not making my annual purchase form Wyrds own store. I know there are other companies out there but I havent used them

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:07 pm 

As Liam says I think outpost is still your closest with an active community.

Tactics has a pretty big selection on hand and offers a discount to club members. Alternatively I tend to order from combat company or Aetherworks online and accept the shipping delay.

Im running Through the Breach demos in October-December out of Cafe Myraide and Krags if you're interested PM me. I'm also heading down to Banbury in mid November for a day of gaming with the G-Cubed guys if anyone is up for a roadtrip.

Thanks

Paul