[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Thoughts on the latest Schemes and Stones? - WestGamer
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:30 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:30 pm 

Heya dudes and dudettes,

Do any of you listen to the schemes and stones podcast? Have you listened to the latest on hand control and manipulation?

http://schemesandstones.podbean.com/ "Episode 32 - Improving Play: Deck and Hand Manipulation"

What were your thoughts?

I thought the play on probability of a beneficial outcome between a double negative flip vs. a single negative flip was an interesting insight. I find it tempted at times to cheat, but realistically the cheat may not get it about the single negative. The reduction of hand size and thus manipulation control was a big highlight.

Insight to the use of positive and negative flips to really power through your deck to balance your probability in a turn was also interesting.
The insight for ressers using punk zombies to get the + flips (As they burn their high cards for summons) was also interesting - and plays it back to the power of opposed duels and reducing your opponents hand size.

Does anyone card count? Even in the brief way mentioned? I was thinking the +1 / -1 idea is more achievable, may give it a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:56 am 

I tried on my last game but, I then think about my plans and what I should doing and forget the number I was meant to remember... I will Co tinge trying to do it though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:56 pm 

I've tried card counting a few times before, though I didn't really find it worth the effort. I'd rather concentrate on working out what my crew should do rather than what my deck might do. ;)

Hand manipulation is something I've been playing around with alot lately. Misaki in particular really loves draining your opponents hand so I've been thinking alot about how to get the most out of that.

Malifaux Henchman
Currently Painting: KoW Salamanders
Models Painted this Year: 38 (2015: 265)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:14 pm 

I liked it, even though I wouldn't normally listen to this podcast (issues with apps rather than the podcast itself), I'd probably have to agree with basically everything they had to say.

In terms of flipping more cards, the only thing I'd be concerned about would be the black joker, but if you flip it early in the turn it'd be a good confidence boost. I think I apply the basic card counting technique they mentionex, counting down the good and bad cards to try and guess what might come up next - definitely not even close to serious card counting!

Finally, I have definitely cheated on duels I knew I couldn't win, just to swing the odds of ruining their damage flip or to activate a defensive trigger. I've even done it to force my opponent to waste a high card, but I'm by no means any good at it yet - I still make stupid scheme choices after all! :p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:32 am 

OOp delayed response. I think hand manipulation is a much bigger mechanic than most people realise?

Maybe that's just me, but only recently I've really been paying attention to hand size etc. I think once you get the basic rules of the game down you can shift your focus from that to resource management, be it AP's or control hand.

On the swinging of odds though, what are your thoughts on maxxing out the negatives (e.g. you are on impossible to wound anyway, so why not tie for the - - as well) to fish for the RJ?

Maybe later in game... but then, if the odds of damaging really don't vary between double negative / single negative - they likely won't change much for triple negative? Sure, you'd be concerned that you could flip your way through a lot of high cards, but by flipping that many you are burning through your deck and if you hit a reshuffle then you reset those odds anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:23 pm 

I thought they gave quite a simplified/generalised view, and I disagreed with some of their conclusions, but it was an interesting listen.

Hand control is such an important part of the game, and some crews do it far better than others. I don't bother with card counting - I find you pretty quickly get an intuitive sense of how hot your deck is running and whether your luck's about to run out, and maintaining a more precise measure than that is mostly a distraction from the real brainwork of tactical analysis.

Most players massively undervalue the power of discard effects, so it's good to see these things discussed more.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable