It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:22 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:48 pm 

I just read this post on the AAG Forum. Made me laugh. It's a true story about a bloke who went into a GW store in the UK.

"Was in the local Games Workshop store picking up yet more Delvan Mud when I got pounced on by the "helpful" member of staff bombarding me with questions...

"Can I help you?"
No, but thanks for asking
"Are you new to the hobby?"
No, I think I was wargaming and playing RPG's before your parents met...
"What armies do you have, do you play Fantasy or 40k?"
I've got more armies than I care to list
"Oh, so you have them all then?"
Not quite, I do fancy a cold war US/Brit force but money is tight
"Do you play our games?"
I said, no but I did have a number of GW figures that I planned to use with Tomorrows War. After a blank look from boy wonder he asked what "Tomorrows War" was. I spent a few minutes telling him about AA FoF and TW in general and how they all could be used for almost all periods when I was stopped and told...

"Ermm, I will have to check with the manager but I don't think you would be allowed to use our figures with another set of rules. Its not allowed."

Really?

"Yes, our IP rules forbid it. You can't use them for anthing other than the GW games they were created for."

Oh dear, its a good job he didn't ask for my address isn't it? At this point I gave him his Delvan mud back and left!!!

Whats next, you can only use GW paint on GW figures?

Jim"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:53 pm 

Isn't that backwards?
They usually don't want you to use other companies models to play their games. As the makers of the world's best models soliders you would have thought they would love you to buy as many as you want for other systems.

'Playing a napoleonic era battle? Sure, have 200 boxes of cadians,' suggests the friendly fellow in the red shirt.

Last edited by Matt-ShadowLord on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

That staff member, or whoever trained him - is clearly a moron.

It's stuff like this that really gives the company a bad name - sometimes undeservedly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:11 pm 

I've had similar problems with GW staff being a bit over-friendly, to put it lightly. However, I know a number of ex-GW staff personally and it's obvious they are just doing their jobs, and the strategy is being handed down from above. Might explain why most of them are ex-GW staff, it can't be enjoyable making people uncomfortable.

Best Painted: Freemachine 2012
Best Painted: Dungeonmachine 2013

2nd place: Jacks 13

One-Eye's Commision Painting Services
Contact by thread or PM.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:13 pm 

I have this vision of GW 'IP Police', dressed like Commisars, bursting into our clubs and confiscating 'Non Official Use' miniatures...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I've had similar problems with GW staff being a bit over-friendly, to put it lightly. Might explain why most of them are ex-GW staff, it can't be enjoyable making people uncomfortable.
Not true at all. I really loved my time with GW. It is what you make it.

These guys do have a tough gig "breaking the ice" in conversation with experienced hobbyists though. It's not as easy as it seems - especially when the person who has walked in has a pre-existing negative attitude towards the company or its games.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:20 pm 

I should add Mal this was a more recent trend, for many years there was just the right vibe of friendliness, but somewhere along the way things changed. It was more that for a time I was a regular who knew what he wanted, and was still being bombarded with sales information I had no use for... the "mystery box" someone tried to get me to pre-order comes to mind.

Best Painted: Freemachine 2012
Best Painted: Dungeonmachine 2013

2nd place: Jacks 13

One-Eye's Commision Painting Services
Contact by thread or PM.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:32 pm 

To be honest I find this level of helpfulness to be a trend in a lot of retail shops these days.

I usually just either ignore people or say I am just looking thanks.

If I want help I will ask for it. Badgering me in your store just makes me not want to come back

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:32 pm 

Quote:
That staff member, or whoever trained him - is clearly a moron.
Yep, that he is :lol:

I think actually enforcing that though would be kind of, interesting...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

The other thing to consider is that over time, or as we get older, or more experienced hobbyists or whatever - our expectations of service level change.

There was definitely a time where I was more than willing to walk into a store and get caught up in the fun hype surrounding an event or a new release. I didn't necessarily buy anything at that time, but being involved in thtat kind of positive atmosphere can be great at times.

These days, my expectations have changed. I am the kind of shopper that 9 times out of ten (or likely more) I will know exactly what I am after and will know more about the product than the staff themselves. I'm a pretty friendly guy generally speaking - but even I can see how that would be a difficult case for a staff member to work with unless they just disengage and let me go for it - which ultimately makes it harder for them to hit their store targets.

It's quite understandable really. But there truly are some shockers out there.

One thing I will say though - GW's training standards are still the best hands down that I have come across in any retail chain to date. There's a good reason why I picked up the required skills to make a career out of vocational education & training. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:52 pm 

I have noticed this change, the qeustions they ask seem to be the same although I have only been in a few times.

I noticed that they would focus on one person before moving onto another to help (taking a long time with them), which can be a bit of a drag if you have a qeustion and are in a rush and may just end up leaving.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:21 pm 

I've noticed that as well Malignant. I think with the increased advanced and detailed information we are getting through the net and things like the companies themselves picking up facebook. It's not at all uncommon(or difficult) to possess more info than the local retailers for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:29 pm 

Quote:
I think actually enforcing that though would be kind of, interesting...
There's nothing to enforce, it's not actually GW policy and the staff member was likely either very new to his job or the conversation was fictional/mis-interpreted.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:44 pm 

Yeah, the staff member isnt a moron, hes a fabrication. I think these kind of strawman scenarios people invent are always a bit obvious.

Still, GW are the kings of the hard-sell and its really annoying... but.. its retail, and they do a lot of babysitting, so i can cut them plenty of slack.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:16 pm 

Quote:
To be honest I find this level of helpfulness to be a trend in a lot of retail shops these days.

I usually just either ignore people or say I am just looking thanks.

If I want help I will ask for it. Badgering me in your store just makes me not want to come back
I need to find these shops! With the exception of Games Workshop (which I'll admit is quite often over the top,) I have to hunt for staff members to help me when I'm shopping. The other day I went into an Optus store because in the back of my mind I wanted to get a smart phone or at least something better than my $20 Nokia. The lady who eventually greeted me was friendly enough, but she wasn't interested in getting me signed up to a plan. When I suggested buying a phone outright she said 'aww well, we really don't have much if any phones in stock at the moment.'

Joel