It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:58 pm 

Quote:
Retail would be great if it wasn't for the customers. Mind you ... certainly doesn't pay the bills though.
Retail is great because of the customers! Chatting to new people all the time and helping them with ideas and what to purchase to achieve what they want is really interesting and rewarding. The bills bit is a problem though.

It is obviously going to be more difficult to help a total 40K or WHFB fanboy who hangs out on forums with GW stuff when you are a rep who is new to the hobby but they probably help out all the kids, very casual gamers and people who are new to the hobby just fine. Promoting the over friendly aspect is probably to try and make things easier in a hobby which may attract a few that need a more social person to draw them into something. If you know exactly what you want you don't really need a sales rep... all you need is someone behind the counter to take your money or a button on a website to click on :).

I tend to just walk right on past GW stores when I am in perth for exactly that reason. I know what all of their products are so there is no chance I will see much new..... nothing that makes it worth squeezing into a store full of people half my age or less anyway....... do tend to look at other hobby and gaming stores though as they often have products in stock that I haven't seen before.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v738/AngustheUnruled/

Gaming in Geraldton - PM me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:28 pm 

I imagine working retail in a GW shop would be fun... but I was never that fortunate... Men's wear, IKEA (Rugs and small office) and Hi-Tech World for those who remember that relic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:30 pm 

Quote:
and Hi-Tech World for those who remember that relic.
Totally. I just bought an N64 and managed to find my old rumblepack that I bought from Hi-Tech World :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:15 am 

funny some of the old storefront is still there, ah remember buying chrono trigger for the snes from hi-tech world, those were the days!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:23 pm 

I feel bad for the situation they are in.

It seems like most of you guys are forgetting they are normal blokes like most of us but they have a specific business model/sales pitch to adhere to. Also for the most part any savvy hobbyist is probably buying online which means the regular spiel they are using to sell product to the regular schmuck 'joe's and joey's' that wander in while they are walking past could end up getting recycled onto the aforementioned savvy hobbyist before they even know who you are or why you're so special.

When I see the guys in Perth GW they don't try to sell me anything, it could be that I have a Forge World army but normally they are just happy to chat about techniques and army directions without trying to push any product on me.

I doubt that this comes from the knowledge that I will always buy my Yes OK - Redscorps on line at the expense of getting the retail therapy experience (to save money, which normally gets re-invested into more GW product anyway) but more that I am a regular customer who goes there to buy his paint supplies and only that (Alright I have bought a codex from there before).

I also think that the average educated consumer with a target in mind (I want the new ogres for example, or in another circumstance, the Dust tactics revised core set which I will brush on in a minute) will always possess more knowledge on a certain subject or product than any retail staff member should need to possess. It's unrealistic to expect anything else with the amount of advanced knowledge we have and the tools to access it.

It's their job to provide you with enthusiasm, encouragement, general product knowledge and a PoS. No one from any genre of sales ever needs to be 100% knowledgeable on any product when they have a vast line up of products such as the lineup GW has. If all they sold was say.. chaos space marines, you would expect them to know the ins and outs of the codex as well as ridiculous Yes OK - Redscorps like the gram weight of a bolt pistol circa 1997 or the internal cavity volume of a CSM torso.

In a similar vane I had an experience in Tactics the other day, I was buying another expansion for Dust Tactics and asked the bloke at the store whether they were getting the revised core set in soon because I was pretty keen to get it. We started talking and as is most common for most of us it turned out I knew almost everything about the release and he almost nothing. I could have been a jerk about it but it was easy enough to run him through what I knew and was excited about, then put down my pre-order for one. The bloke now knows a bit more about the product he didn't before and wasn't left with the bad aftertaste of another asshole customer.

You guys need to be a bit more compliant or you will always be disappointed. I'm sure if you work in a service industry as well that at some point you've lost a customer through bad product knowledge, poor sales skills or something similar. Especially if all you know is what 'them upstairs' tell you.

Last edited by redscorps on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:00 pm 

Quote:
In a similar vane I had an experience in Tactics the other day, I was buying another expansion for Dust Tactics and asked the bloke at the store whether they were getting the revised core set in soon because I was pretty keen to get it. We started talking and as is most common for most of us it turned out I knew almost everything about the release and he almost nothing.
To go slightly off topic, I seem to run into this problem from Tactics a LOT, where the guys just do not know their sh**. Has anyone else encountered this (I literally had a Tactics person ask me what Tuft Grass was for. And not in a "what are you going to do with this" kinda way, in a "what does this get used for" kinda way. WTF!?)?

Kings of War - still rolling my dice and moving my mice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:20 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
In a similar vane I had an experience in Tactics the other day, I was buying another expansion for Dust Tactics and asked the bloke at the store whether they were getting the revised core set in soon because I was pretty keen to get it. We started talking and as is most common for most of us it turned out I knew almost everything about the release and he almost nothing.
To go slightly off topic, I seem to run into this problem from Tactics a LOT, where the guys just do not know their sh**. Has anyone else encountered this (I literally had a Tactics person ask me what Tuft Grass was for. And not in a "what are you going to do with this" kinda way, in a "what does this get used for" kinda way. WTF!?)?
Ok so that's a bad example and I can't really make an excuse for something like that as pretty much every gaming system will use scenics but I think they'd have a pretty tough job in there with the amount of inventory and niche products in stock.

I freaking love that shop though and am always stoked to spend my warmachine/scenics/dust tactics money there. It's great having a dig around in all of the little areas and checking out some cool stuff I wouldn't otherwise get exposure to.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:30 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
nah not really in fact i find tactics alot more knowledgeable about a much wider variety of systems.

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:12 pm 

I went into Tactics to see if they had a copy of Blitzkrieg Commander, which the guy hadn't heard of. I didn't expect him to, but he jumped onto Boardgame Geek, sussed it out, found the relevant section of the store and helped me rumage around. When we couldn't find it, he found a copy on eBay for me.

I was impressed with his help and ended up grabbing two Panthers for FoW, when I normally would have grabbed them online.