It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:41 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:15 pm 

Something that I find...and others may not, is that when I play an army I almost find myself saying things as the commander would. But also with their accent/intent.

What drugs are you on Spiv?! I hear you ask. Well for me its most evident when I play my bretts. But I shall give examples of my armies and a glimpse into the madness that is Spiv.

Brettonians
- Some kind of mad Shakespearean King complete with sayings like "dash it, my kingdom for a horse...oh lady why do you forsake me?!".

Dwarves
- of course its Scottish.

Empire
- a bit of an aristocrat. Have said things like "now theres a good fellow. kindly stab that dragon in the eye. Oh bad luck old sport and now you are dead."

Ogres
- Some kind of ogre over lord. I have said during a game "ah ha! thump him lads!"

Vampires
- Dracula. Kill the living.

A bit odd? Sure, but it makes the game a bit more fun for me and may even do the same for my oppo rather than a boring oppo.

Anyone else carry own during a game for fun?

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:38 pm 

Cant say I have adopted accents and sayings but I find with every army I build I tend to troll youtube for theme music that I play in my head as if it was a movie and as the music is playing, my army is making planet fall to save the day. Also every thing is in slow motion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:41 pm 

My 40K army is Star Wars themed, so every time I kill one of my own Psykers or sergeants I find it impossible not to say 'Apology Accepted'.

Anyone teleporting in to my Epic army gets a fully armed and operational Death Star.

And when I play Isengard in LOTR, it's 100% Pure Saruman. "Hunt them down. Do not stop until they are found. You do not know pain, you do not know fear. You will taste man-flesh. "

So, no Spiv, not me - I would never be so juvenile :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:58 pm 

definitely get into the swing of the theme of an army. When I played my 40k soviets everyone was comrad. And I generally had to send waves of ill equipped men and undergunned/underarmoured vehicles to their deaths in massed offensive charges.

also the hat.

I agree I find it adds a bit more fun to the game beyond the strategic rolling of dice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:17 pm 

Quote:
My 40K army is Star Wars themed, so every time I kill one of my own Psykers or sergeants I find it impossible not to say 'Apology Accepted'.
Classic! :D

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:14 pm 

I don't go as far as putting on accents but I do like my armies to tell a story or at least have a consistent theme, it's why I like tier forces in WMH.

I also love the idea of theme music. I want to rock out "Thunderstruck" every time I play Krueger the Stormlord.

WMH: Khador and Circle; Malifaux: Gremlins, Outcasts, Arcanists and Neverborn; X-Wing: Rebels; DWars: Prussians; Blood Bowl: Lots :) Dreadball: Humans; W40K: Space Marines; Epic: Orks and Imperial Guard; Warhammer: Empire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:16 pm 

I'm a terrible roleplayer... :D

- The Gretchin they were always like Kenny from South Park (muffled voices, not overly intelligent and never quite knew how they'd die)

- 300 BloodBowl team... If King Leonidas did something that was particularly lucky... Well, I'm sure you can guess ;)

- Necrons spoke in binary

- Orks / Orcs were led by a boss who considered himself a bit upper class'ish with a proper tone but could never think of the right words all the time

- Grimgor specifically (my favourite character for Fantasy) ALWAYS ROARED EVERYTHING!!! NEVER A DULL MOMENT COS WAAAAGH!!! CHOP CHOP!!! *sorry* :oops:

- MacBain had the voice taken straight from the Simpsons.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:32 am 

I dont as such take on rolls but I do tend to find myself saying stuff like "he loves it" when ever I pass an armour save and " silent bobs a *&%$ing daemon when ever my daemons do something insane. Or he will die whenever I dont make a it will not die roll, kinda fitting I guess for chaos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:44 am 

Location: Underneath Parliament House with a lot of explosives
With my Daemons, I often do a throaty growl when something gets summoned onto the field from Deep Strike or when a Monstrous Creature stomps all over an enemy unit. This can be turned to arcane gibberish and "casting" gesture when the Tzeetnch models start throwing psychic powers about the place.

With my Guard, I have been known to bark out the orders that are actually being used on field. Or if a unit fails, making a Commissar's Found Wanting gesture.

I have just recently taken up Dystopian Wars with my Russians and that lets me bring all sorts of spectacular clichés the the field as it is a ship game. It's impossible to make a move without quoting Starcraft- "Plot a course", "Battlecruiser operational" in a thick pseudo-Russian accent. Also the bad jokes:
"Yuri, why are you chewing Imperialist Western gum on a vessel of Mother Russia?"
"Nyet, Ivan. I am cleaning my underpants."

(Disclaimer: It's a terrible joke and does not reflect any deeper views of the behalf of myself. I tell Elf jokes too, and that does not reflect a deeper prejudice against Elves. Thank you.)

And now http://store.steampowered.com/app/540010

Current Status: Being a fierce game dev warrior.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:04 am 

The guy who dressed as Captain Al'Raham? Never!

Yeah - the Tallarns get "Admiral Akbar" (a play on the Arabic 'God is great' cry) whenever they charge or take down something impressive. That and 'you will die for our cause' (from the old Red Alert PC game). As I usually use the Colonel Schaeffer model I imagine him barking orders like the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket, standing up to his enemies to say 'you ain't got the balls' just before he is shot dead!

With the Dark Angels don't imagine them saying much at all. Just sombre nods and 'now we hunt' before a battle!

The Chaos army definately gets the most though - 'Blood for the Blood God' for every kill, and 'why have you foresaken me, masters?' every time my champion turns to spawn (which happens a lot!)

In a year where the competitiveness of 40k is really coming into question - this kind of 'forging the narrative' I feel is important to keep the fun in the game :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:20 am 

Location: Underneath Parliament House with a lot of explosives
Quote:
The guy who dressed as Captain Al'Raham? Never!

Yeah - the Tallarns get "Admiral Akbar" (a play on the Arabic 'God is great' cry) whenever they charge or take down something impressive. That and 'you will die for our cause' (from the old Red Alert PC game). As I usually use the Colonel Schaeffer model I imagine him barking orders like the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket, standing up to his enemies to say 'you ain't got the balls' just before he is shot dead!

With the Dark Angels don't imagine them saying much at all. Just sombre nods and 'now we hunt' before a battle!

The Chaos army definately gets the most though - 'Blood for the Blood God' for every kill, and 'why have you foresaken me, masters?' every time my champion turns to spawn (which happens a lot!)

In a year where the competitiveness of 40k is really coming into question - this kind of 'forging the narrative' I feel is important to keep the fun in the game :)
Ooh, I use Tallarn models exclusively too for my Guard. I could try that, but it might end up looking like Lawrence of A-nerd-ia.

And now http://store.steampowered.com/app/540010

Current Status: Being a fierce game dev warrior.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:56 am 

Quote:

Ooh, I use Tallarn models exclusively too for my Guard. I could try that, but it might end up looking like Lawrence of A-nerd-ia.
too late Garth! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:24 am 

No role-play as such, but I do enjoy playing my army the fluffy way in my regular games.

I love playing my Eldar the Eldar way. Psychic trickery, running away, last minute objective grabbing and generally just trying to play my army in the most annoying way possible.

Aside from that, I like to refer to the armies of the imperium as Mon-keigh, and hold a general distain for anything non-Eldar. When I manage to do anything particularly Eldar-ish, i've said to my opponent "Sorry dude, Eldar" as if it's an excuse.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:57 pm 

Apart from doing the sound effects for Flyers and Vehicles I don't often role play during 40K.

However we do have a regular Rogue Trader game, where we could occasionally be accused of role playing. Usually its more a case of trying to point score against each other whilst consuming the beverages of choice :mrgreen: