It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:07 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:30 am 

Hi guys, what would you consider was WAs golden age for tournaments? For me it would have been 2006 to 2010. Seemed like there was a quality tournament every fortnight and the systems worked well. LOTR, 40k and Fantasy were well supported by GW with prizes it seemed.

I am interested to hear what people consider is their golden age for tournaments in WA.

No flames/trolling pls.

Spiv

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:47 am 

I think it's right now. There are more tournaments for more systems and far more variety among the types of tournament for each system, and far more one day events.

In the period you're talking about I don't remember there being many tournaments at all--I didn't play LotR, but I could remember there being long gaps between 40k and Fantasy tournaments. Comp wasn't really a thing back then, either. I mean it existed but people didn't take it seriously, and with the long gap between army book/codex releases things seemed to become powerful and stay that way for a long time. I don't remember it too fondly at all really!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:52 pm 

Those are two very different questions depending whether people read your post or its title!
Quote:
Re: GW Tournament Golden Age?
2009!
Quote:
Hi guys, what would you consider was WAs golden age for tournaments?
Now :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:13 pm 

As far as GW goes for me it had to be 7th ed around 2008-2010, just before they brought in 8th edition.

There were some good tournaments being run, a wealth of strong players in the meta (namely Aza and Ben) and the community was pretty tight.

It started to get a bit out of hand just before 8th with some new releases, but that was pretty much peak WHFB tournaments for me.

Also, we had comp pretty much sorted for that edition at the time it felt like.

Best Painted: Freemachine 2012
Best Painted: Dungeonmachine 2013

2nd place: Jacks 13

One-Eye's Commision Painting Services
Contact by thread or PM.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:37 pm 

Well he is talking about the GW systems not the other companies. I started in events in 5th edition 40k and there was events every 3 - 5 weeks and it stayed that way till mid 6th edition as players moved on to other systems.

But hopefully with the new faces we are seeing come to events, with good event feedback we might see the return of our lost friends of 40k.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:48 pm 

For me personally 2011-2013 were my big 40k tournament years, where I attended and placed regularly. Now I'm waiting for the 40k scene to settle down before I commit to anything.

As for the tournie scene overall last year was bonkers good, and this years looking pretty tops as well 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:03 am 

Well I took a pretty big break from '07ish to '10ish, so I dont actually know what the scene was like at all. I thought 40k was at its best rules-wise in the 3.5th/4th ed period and there was definitely a lot of tournaments in that time too with pretty good numbers. But the late 5th ed tournaments were just massive. We actually hit 50/60+ people in late 5th ed, so that had to be the 'golden age' unless i missed something even bigger during my hiatus.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:07 am 

I agree 2009 was pretty good. About the third year of ultimates from memory.
Tough opposition, quality tournaments, the ultimates gave that added incentive to place well at tournies and then go that extra mile in painting and hobby. Was a perfect storm of ingredients.

Everytime you roll 3 1's, Somewhere Cypher dies!

BRAWL Season 2 Champion!!!!
Khorne Wanderers 3-0-0. 5 kills and counting!!! 13 in total...
Green Cave Fanatics 6-0-1, 2 deaths! chainsaw kickbacks = 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:25 pm 

Pre WTL Ultimates was when my interest was highest for attending tournaments. Generally slowed down when numbers dropped of post 8th ed.