[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Thoughts on my first game - WestGamer
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:02 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:07 am 

Just thought I'd share what I thought about my first run through on D-Wars. I've got to say, I am definitely hooked! I had a blast playing this game and completely loved the exploding dice mechanic, it's so simple yet made the game incredibly exciting.
I really just played through the basics of a sea battle last night, so no fliers or boarding actions or anything like that, but even just down to the basics, it's incredibly strategic in planning your positioning, and things like planning how to get the most out of link, reducing the effectiveness of larger ships and whatnot. What I was incredibly surprised with was how nasty frigates can be when linked. I was not expecting them to deal out the amount of damage that they did when linked, and the fact that larger ships hit them on a 5 made them far more survivable than I expected (I thought they were really just going to be a distraction!). Covenant were also great fun to use. Being able to submerge your battleship really helped with survivability and some of their weaponry was just pure nasty. Am really looking forward to my next game where I'll get to make use of fliers, and see what they add to the game...it's probably time to pick up a carrier too!
Thanks again to Gavin for running me through a game, I am definitely keen for more now!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:31 am 

good to hear, im playing my first game today at Tactics at Lunch :mrgreen:

we are just using small fleets

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:46 am 

Thanks Brett for a hilarously fun evening. Reckon we spent more time laughing than rolling dice.

The game ended with just the Antarctic and British battleships, down to one wound each, slowly circling each other while flinging wet tennis balls.

The Antarctic battleship was desperate to close the range to use the only effective weapon it had left, whilst the British battleship was desperate to keep away to use the only effective weapon it had left (torpedoes).

In the end we called it quits as both deserved to fight another day.

Will add an Aircraft Carrier and two Vanguard submarines to the British fleet for the next game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:47 am 

I don't wanna hear this, I do not need another system to learn ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:55 am 

Glad to hear that you guys enjoyed the game, and its always a welcoming sight to have more people playing what is an excellent game :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:40 am 

I'm still waiting for my first game, my new year rez was not to play with unpainted models this year so I'm almost there ground forces done surface just needs detailing and air is half done. If the system works as well as Uncharted Seas it will be a winner!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:45 pm 

I won a British Air Battalion (sp?) at Outpost that is sitting taunting me... I love the Steam Punk theme and would love to get into Dystopian Wars, but I just find myself short of time for any other systems. After this season of Blood Bowl I'll have more time, but at the moment it's board games and Warmachine for me :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:57 am 

So...got my second game under my belt and this time I tried out fliers and a carrier. My French fleet had arrived so I was keen to get them on the table. I really loved how the French seem to play. Their frigates are tough as nails, I can't believe their DR is 4! They are also a force that works well at a specific range bracket, which is out of boarding range, but within the 1st and 2nd range bands to make the most of their weapons, and not get boarded with their low AP. Heat lances are amazing against larger ships. One of my heat lances crit a carrier, which then rolled a double one for the crit roll. Needless to say the carrier exploded and took out everything which was within close proximity, which turned out to be a whole lot of ships. Fliers are also great fun too. We had great fun with ack ack duels and bombers did a great job damaging ships. I'm completely loving this game, it feels so epic and can't wait for more when I get back from my trip. Thanks again for the game Gavin!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:53 pm 

The British carrier blowing up in a magazine explosion was hilarious. British capital ships seem to do that a lot - HMS Hood, Invincible, Indefatigable ...

The explosion also took out two British cruisers, two French cruisers and a French frigate.

The only ships the Brits had at the end of the game were two Vanguard submarines, withdrawing at high speed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:59 pm 

I would love to roll out my prussians at NWS if anyone wants a game.

I am glad to see the game is starting to be played in perth.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable