[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Favourite Unit Land/Sea/Air - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:31 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:57 pm 

Location: Underneath Parliament House with a lot of explosives
DWars is a game known for some crazy units and as soon as you think you have it understood, Spartan announces a flying Chinese dragon robot.

So do you have a particular favourite unit for each Theatre and why? Doesn't matter if you're new to the game, just let us know your thoughts.

Land: For me, the Russian Kursk Land Dreadnought is a real show-stopper. This has to be the biggest tank around. My only exception is my new-found obsession with the Vorkuta Crazy-a$$ drill o' doom which might be the most perfect ram'n'board unit in the game.

Sea: The East India Merchant Company's Athea pocket battleship is one of the tidiest, most points efficient vessels out there. You can choose it as a base with two 270 degree torpedo turrets which means you can throw in into the fray and it will keep firing at full-strength until it sinks (especially good versus fleets with low CC), plus options for a Guardian Generator or just leave it to power along with the Tesla Generator for extra speed and oh, hey, it's a battleship with the Sharp Turn MAR. (*coughRussianMoskvasarescarytoo*)

Air: Have you seen the Antarctican's Euclid? OMG.

And now http://store.steampowered.com/app/540010

Current Status: Being a fierce game dev warrior.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:05 pm 

Hi V

We don't play land at PAGS (yet), but when it comes to sea units for me you just cant beat the Rhine Carrier. It can handle itself in almost any situation, and is always useful.

As for air units, the french flying dreadnought is pretty sweet.

We are just trying to generate some buzz around Dystopian wars down here at the moment. Any plans for Dystopian events in the pipeline for Perth.

IT'S NOT YOUR LIST, IT'S Y.... HANG ON, OH OK, YEAH THAT LIST SUCKS.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:02 pm 

Quote:
As for air units, the french flying dreadnought is pretty sweet.

We are just trying to generate some buzz around Dystopian wars down here at the moment. Any plans for Dystopian events in the pipeline for Perth.
Ahh, but the Vauban is now a Naval Core unit as it's a surface skimmer. Okay, so you can't fly it over big things any more, but it's now part of your base 60% allowance for a Naval army and can still be used in land games due to its skimminess, same as the other French skimming ships.

For events, I think there would need to be a separate thread. AdvanceOp was threatening to run a campaign a while back, but he's a busy guy. I'll be more conducive to things after PAX Aus.

Edit: Maybe I can get my Vanguard buddy from Busselton to come up and run something if there is enough interest? I'm not thinking tournaments as it's not really a huge tournament game, but some sort of one-weekend linked campaign would be cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:16 pm 

Japanese robot squids! They swim, they fly (OK hover). This was the tipping point for picking this faction.

For air, I have the HEC solely for their airships. Gattling cannon the size of a house. Hells yes. :)

As V has put it, I have all the best intentions of doing something dwarsian, but am time poor.... Or more accurately busy running or playing other game systems up till PAX with demand for more on systems that are proving in greater demand. Personally I don't think dwars is a rule set suited to tourneys.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:05 pm 

+1 for the Vauban, which this past weekend saw the beginning of a repaint to bring it line with its new place in the naval armada. But it's a close call between that and the Ryuo, that thing makes me want to just play EoBS for the land game.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:00 pm 

Quote:
Personally I don't think dwars is a rule set suited to tourneys.
Why do you say that dave . Is it because games are too long?

IT'S NOT YOUR LIST, IT'S Y.... HANG ON, OH OK, YEAH THAT LIST SUCKS.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:59 am 

I agree with Dave. Neil Fawcett never wrote it as a tournament game, although he has said V2.0 is more suited to it than the previous edition.

I would also argue that tournaments aren't really the pinnacle of DWars gaming. Sure, you can do it and people do. There are state tournaments in NSW and Queensland and some nationals as well. But where this game really rocks is for campaign and scenario play. You have three theatres of war, and narrative gaming is where it really shines as you can build all sorts of scenarios. All the rules for Amphibious landings have been updated, or you could do a Battle of Britain-style air war. I am slowly building an island supervillain lair which is in complete contravention of the terrain rules in the V2.0 book, but then it does also give you a free pass for scenario games. I have also bought a tonne of the buildings because I want to do a big Armoured game in the spirit of the Battle for Kursk.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:00 pm 

Favourite unit... Ooooo, I'm betting V knows the answer here already... ;)

Land: Metzger. Has to be the giant stompy robot of doom. :D

Naval: It's a throw up between the Elbe (aircraft carrier strapped to the back of a dreadnought, topped with 4 lightning-rod-harpoon launchers) and the Ika (for all your giant mechanical squid needs).

Aerial: For looks, I have to go the Imperium (aricraft carrier strapped to a zeppelin. I'm seeing a pattern here, Prussia... :lol: ), but for sheer terror-inducing ability, it would have to be the Euclid. God that things worrisome until you board it. :P

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable