[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
What now? - Page 2 - WestGamer
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:58 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:40 am 

The Morats are some of the most recent models to get resculpts, which probably goes some way in explaining why they're one of the more popular sectorials. ;)

Malifaux Henchman
Currently Painting: KoW Salamanders
Models Painted this Year: 38 (2015: 265)

Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:27 am 

The core rules of the game aren’t as complicated as they look. The book is daunting since there are a tone of special rules and about a billion bits of equipment. However you will only have a small number of these in your force as will your opponent. Best bet is to learn them bit by bit based on what you are taking, and then get a summary from your opponent before each game as to what all his stuff does.

To get on the right track if you have a playstyle you particularly like then we can recommend units with the right combination of rules and equipment to fit into that style.

In addition there are a few “that unit does WHAT!?” choices out there that are worth bringing some counters to. (Things like TAG’s, optical disruptors, TO camo, total reaction). These can seem pretty rough at first.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:58 pm 

Totes hijacking Earl's thread, because Sectorials.

Corregidor sectorial. (Cor-reg-i-dor?)

I lose out on a bunch of stuff, including Hacking Device Plus/Interventors. I gain some good things like Link Teams and bonus AVA to TAGs.

Is the list worth it, or is vanilla Nomads better?

Link Teams seem pretty awesome. But losing out on super sweet hacking seems like an iffy price to pay.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:45 pm 

Quote:
Totes hijacking Earl's thread, because Sectorials.

Corregidor sectorial. (Cor-reg-i-dor?)

I lose out on a bunch of stuff, including Hacking Device Plus/Interventors. I gain some good things like Link Teams and bonus AVA to TAGs.

Is the list worth it, or is vanilla Nomads better?

Link Teams seem pretty awesome. But losing out on super sweet hacking seems like an iffy price to pay.
If I haven't made it clear before I'm relatively new to the game, but I've been following it long enough to know that Interventors are a pretty new unit for the Nomads, and that they were considered the Hacking Faction well before those Interventor rules were released. ;)

From what I can tell with the Corregidor Sectional you lose out on some of the best Hackers in the game, but that's not to say the remaining choices are no good. Just from a quick glance it seems to me that a Wildcat Hacker would be your next best choice, although even just a cheap Aguacil would probably be fine if you plan to keep him back and either use him defensively, or use the Nomads plentiful supply of repeaters (IIRC) to affect the battlefield.

As for whether the Sectorial is better or worse than the Vanilla list, I'm not really experienced enough to say for sure. But AFAIK the two lists seem to offer enough advantages over the other for one not to be an auto-take over the other.

Malifaux Henchman
Currently Painting: KoW Salamanders
Models Painted this Year: 38 (2015: 265)

Last edited by Rathnard on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:50 pm 

It allows you to link alguaciles, wildcats, brigada, and Jaguar, as well as gives you more availability on pretty much everything (not Iguanas) in the sectorial but worth mentioning brigada, Geckos and access to some mercs.

Though something for Earl, if you are looking to expand further than the box you have and have ordered I would suggest Kornak who is a character. The reason is that he is a really good model and even better in N3, but also makes an excellent Lt due to strategos L1 which turns the Lt order into a regular order. Also the model is sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:23 am 

If you're interested with link team, it's best to see them in action; i.e. play a game with someone who uses link team.

Back then I didn't realise how awesome it is until I played a game with bokke (where's he by the way?) and he used Ariadna's Loup Garou link team.

Just saw the profile for ZuYong Terracotta warriors last night. Glad I didn't sell my Yujing back then :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:49 am 

The sectorial and vanilla armies tend to be better at different things rather than one being more powerful than the other.

Technically you can include a “more powerful” selection of models in the vanilla lists (since you have more units available), but the order efficiency and link bonuses of sectorial armies is a very significant boost to how a technically less powerful selection of models preforms on the table.

Taking a Nomad example. I would say that playing a camo list is better done using vanilla. Camo lists generally don’t use link teams much, and the additional options afforded by combining units from all the ships makes for a far more interesting camo list than any of the sectorials could manage on their own.

If you wanted a more brute force list then I would go with Corregidor, they have a few very solid link options, affordable TAG’s, excellent remotes that all deliver a good hit. This is then backed up by an abundance of repeaters, and cheap AD units for some sneaky tricks. This all allows you to hit someone harder and faster than vanilla would….but with less subtlety and trickery.