I’m sure many people have thought about his already, it might be fun to discuss the power of, and counters to the remotes with built in repeaters. The power of this looks to be threefold:
- hackers can use support ware on them from anywhere on the table
- they are fast repeater with weapons attached (a perfect package for hunting HI)
- fast repeaters with guns synergising with the spotlight program
So which factions units will most likely be the most formidable candidates for this? (excuse spelling of…..everything!)
- Nomads with the sputniks. Have a heavy weapons platform and a close range platform.
- Pan O with the peace maker and bulletteer. Close up and long ranged options just like the nomads, less armoured, but with really nice tricks.
- Yu Jing with the lu-dan and ru-shi. Again lack armour but have tricks as good as the Pan O remotes
- Any of the combi rifle total reaction baggage bots.
The core trick with all these remotes is probably going to be giving them marksmanship level 2. This is going to allow them all to hit on somewhere between 14 (combi reaction bot) and 21 (heavy shotguns + spotlight) when within the weapons optimal range bands before mods for ODD/camo.
There are three that really stand out for me. The bulletteer with spitfire, the ru-shi, and the lu-dan. These will be hitting on 15’s between 8-24”…….and the bulletteer has an ODD, the lu-dan has a holo-projector level 2, and the ru-shi has an MSV2……..thats some scary long range gear…….especially when many remotes come with climbing +, and all have a 6/4 move.
These also become fairly horrible in ARO with suppressive fire. Assuming they are in cover attackers start at -6 to hit (-12 for the bulletteer), and they shoot back on 12’s (if within 16”) or 9’s if from 16-24”.
The short range remotes are probably more specialist and less outright terrifying (still terrifying, just less so). With these they can run up the table, act as a repeater for your hacker to immobilise some enemy HI, then jump round a corner and blast them with some Damage 15 AP BS18-21 heavy shotgun shots. For additional tricks the peace maker can add a heavy flamer to the mix, and the lunacod can deploy its koalas……meaning if the enemy tries to reset as a subsequent ARO it immediately triggers the koalas and takes a pair of damage 15 hits in addition to the shotgun……hmm
The final trick they can play is acting as a platform for using spotlight and speculative fire. Now that any hacking device, hacking device +, and assault hacking device can use the old hacking device + trick to mark targets we may well see more light grenade launchers (or even regular grenades).
Order efficiency (especially in ITS) may be a big limiter on all this. All my talk of support ware, and spotlight means spending orders on hackers at the expense of speeding towards the objectives. So setting all this up may not be viable in a tight game. Time will tell.
Assuming this does become something to watch out for, what are some of the counters? (please feel free to add to this, its just what I have theorised so far)
- Use a really good hacker to immobilise and kill them. You need a good hacker for this, since walking into range of them will trigger ARO’s from the enemy hackers…..you may even need to try and kill the enemy hacker before trying this.
- following on from the above, use your own repeaters to get with range of the remotes. This avoids the ARO conter attacks from their hacker.
- Indirect attacks. These are able to bypass their cover and fire power. Can be order intensive since it won’t be safe to spotlight them….use forward observers from >24” (to bypass any suppressive fire?), sneak up close with smoke and then hit them in combat.
- ODD/To camo, this won’t work on the ru-shi or bulletteer but should beat the others. Need high burst weapons.
- attack from outside 24”/LOF (AD, infiltration, camo, speed)
- coordinated order. Must reliably kill the target since one model per order is probably going to lose the face to face roll against these remotes
- direct templates. For the most part the remotes need cover to be durable, direct templates bypass this. The remotes are rubbish at dodging so will most likely take the hit.
- Use camo to either walk past them (if they hold ARO) or attack them (if they discover)
- Assassinate the hackers (AD, infiltration, speed) to disable the support ware.
There we have it, will the super accurate, speedy, versatile repeater remotes be a new terror on the field, or will they be an order intensive gimmick people will soon adapt to?