[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
So I've been looking at infinity... - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:55 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:02 pm 

Stumbled across the starter box at a retailer. operation ice storm.
Had no idea what it was just liked the box art but the minis look pretty cool.
Especially liked the look and style of the panoceania although nomads look good also.

After much Internet searching am very interested in getting the starter box and getting into it. The rules that I have seen remind me a lot of xcom which I love to death.
The learning curve for the advanced rules looks pretty steep but sure I'd pick it up over time like any system.

So my main questions are.

1. How large is the community?
2. What clubs is infinity played at?
3. Is panoceania played to death by everyone or is there a good spread?
4. Does the motto it's not the list it's you really ring true for infinity as I find that appealing.

Olly
Roleplayer09
Wolflord

Revenge shall be mine!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:22 pm 

Hey Elysium,

Good community here in Perth, really shouldn't have a problem getting a game at least once or twice a week should you really want to. There is normally about 1-2 tournaments a year which see's a regular turnout of about 16 from memory but would have to go back and check the old event posts.

Outpost on Tuesday nights normally has at least one or two games going and TGA on Sunday's you would normally find a game as well. Can't comment on Krags or any of the clubs up north as I haven't ever played there.

There are a couple of Pan O players including myself but I certainly wouldn't say they are played to death. Because of the use of sectorials and such there is a pretty diverse spread of lists even amongst a singular faction. I doubt any list you were playing would be mirror imaged at a tournament.

My own opinion is it is true the game isn't about the list you bring. There are a range of good counters for some of the tricks certain factions can play and you aren't going to see them spammed to any great extent because the game is well balanced with both the use of points cost and SWC so uber weapons and units are restricted.

Obviously was going to be always hard to get an unbiased view on a dedicated infinity forum but I would say jump right in. The game is great fun, easy to learn, hard to master and you are always busy making decisions with the ARO mechanic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:30 pm 

It's a great game and although not the best person to answer your questions I will give you my answers.

1). From what I see the community continues to grow and the people who I have met all seem really helpful to us newbie types.

2). TGA sometimes has games going on but there is probably more action at 6030. I can't comment on the other clubs. However, it only takes a few keen individuals to get any game kicking off in any club.

3). From what I have seen there seems to be a fairly even split between all the factions. Plus each main faction can be broken down to secretarial forces. This means that even two PanO list can look and play differently.

4) thanks to critical hits even the lowest grunt can get lucky and take down the mightiest TAG. Of course it will sometimes seem that the opponents list is better, but your own list will often surprise you.

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Want to get into BATTLETECH? Chuck me a PM.

Last edited by Hutch on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:32 pm 

Wall of text inbound.
Quote:
1. How large is the community?
Largeish. Few dozen players over the greater metro area. We've got a few down here in Mandurah but the bulk of them tend to go to TGA.
Quote:
2. What clubs is infinity played at?
See above. Largely TGA.
Quote:
3. Is panoceania played to death by everyone or is there a good spread?
Before the starter, there was a spread but the starter models are so damn pretty that a lot of people now have a PanO/Nomad force on the side. Honestly though, if you like the look, play em. It's not like 40k where it's MEQ versus everything else. At a fundamental level, pretty much every strategy/ability is available to every army.
Quote:
4. Does the motto it's not the list it's you really ring true for infinity as I find that appealing.
Yes and no. That gets bandied around a lot but it's not as true as everyone wants it to be.

Infinity as a system is incredibly brutal and can be unforgiving. And while it's technically possible for the basic line guys in your list to drop TAGs, the odds are not in the line guy's favour. You can outplay an opponent but your list has to factor in. So, short answer, it's not true. You need to learn to take a variety of choices when you make a list and learn to play those choices well.

Having said that, a knowledgeable player with a sub-par list will beat out someone who doesn't have an understanding of squad level tactics but has a killer list. The balance of power shifts to the active player each turn and if you position the right people in the right place, you can steamroll even the scariest models.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:47 pm 

Thanks for the quick replies guys. That probably answers question 1 by itself.

I will probably grab the ice storm box next week funds permitting and rope my mates into a game if possible.

As for question four thanks Dave. I guessed that was the case. From an outsider looking in it appears that hackers will be a serious problem for Oceania if I don't prepare for that although by the sounds of it hackers also sound useless if your opponent doesn't have certain units. Could be wrong though.

So plan to grab icestorm + rulebook and order the masterclass paint book and hopefully score the sweet Joan of arc mini who I read is a go too lieutenant for panoceania.

So hope to have at least ice storm and escape to TGA Sunday for a game.

Olly
Roleplayer09
Wolflord

Revenge shall be mine!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:46 am 

My view on the player base is that there is usually 12-15 that have rocked up to one of the last few tournaments, though I know there are a few lurkers about that play and a heap of new people joining with N3. So my guess on the community size is 25+ with the spread being pretty evenly spread across Perth.

There are 5-6 regular players at Outpost plus a few irregular ones, so getting a game there shouldn't be too hard. Also there has been a lot more activity at TGA recently with games, so it should be possible to get a game there.

I would say that Pan O is definitely a more popular choice (from what I remember from tournament sign up), but with variations with sectorials chances are you will be playing something different to everyone else. Though there is a nice spread of different factions, so you will most likely get different match ups from the community.

This is interesting Dave is right on some accounts, though I would argue some differences in the ideology behind on others. You will do better the more you understand your list, like the ins, outs, the weaknesses and strengths. As you can react to different situations that will more likely be in your favour (this may not be obvious from a quick glance), plus it allows you to be able to handle the occasional bad match up. It does not mean you can ignore the fact that some unit selections may be more advantageous than others, especially when you are trying to put counters for different units (e.g. a MSV is handy for camo). Though there is also that luck factor that does play a part in any tabletop game, which may swing a game one or another.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:56 pm 

So I picked up operation icestorm. Finished assembling the sweet models last night.
Only issue was one of the nomad grunts is missing an arm :-(.
Not sure how I can rectify that.

Had a quick game of mission 1 & 2.

Mission one was interesting. Just to get the mechanics down.

Mission 2 seemed abit one sided as I deployed fusiliers in cover to spread aros and Rambo'd with the Orc trooper. Had first turn & my opponent was surprised I managed to dump orders on him to run up the flank & smash 2 x nomad grunts.

Even took one out from behind with cc.

So yeah facing seems very important and need to cover flanks so they can't be capitalised by an opponent.

Looking forward to getting more games in so if anyone is happy to play the icestorm missions so I can get the basic rules down & get smashed by some vet players would be appreciated.

Olly
Roleplayer09
Wolflord

Revenge shall be mine!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:57 pm 

Having decided to restart with infinity I would be keen to get a few games in. I have only played 1 game with the new rules and prior to that have not played it for over two years.

I only have figures from the operation ice storm so far as I sold off my entire collection to start afresh. At least we would be at even peggings. I'm happy to play either side.

What clubs do you go to and where are you located?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:07 pm 

Sweet. Yeah I'm keen to start pano and hoping to get to outpost once a fortnight.
Although with the time the games take could prolly smash out all 5 missions as the first two were super quick. Keen on outpost this Tuesday?

Olly
Roleplayer09
Wolflord

Revenge shall be mine!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:12 pm 

Excellent as I would like to use the Nomads.

Unfortunately I can't make outpost this week due to family commitments though.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:15 pm 

No dramas. Maybe the following week. Might give me time to get a base coat on my pano force.

Olly
Roleplayer09
Wolflord

Revenge shall be mine!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:04 am 

Hey mate,

if your keen on an infinity game at outpost tomorrow I am up for it. Still looking for an opponent!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:47 pm 

So, I'm going to hijack this slightly for a second...

I bought in a year or 2 ago. Then sold up. Now thinking about buying in again. Here is my concern/reason I sold out last time. I would be interested in others' responses to my concerns.

1. It seems really complicated. I play multiple systems (40k, Bolt Action, Malifaux, DnD and MERCS when the KS arrives) and while Infinity seems realistic and awesome... it seems an all or nothing game, rules dedication wise.
2. It seemed to be an escalating force kind of game. Unless I have the newest and latest, I am going top get pasted 9 times out of 10. Unless I am really good. See concern 1.

So, can this be a dabble game? And could I get a starter (say the Icestorm box and a Nomad TAG or PanO heavy infantry model or 2) and be all good for a while?

Now, please continue with your regular broadcasted conversation...

:)

"Cry "Havoc!!", and let slip the dogs of war" Julius Caesar; Act III, Scene I

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:10 pm 

Yeah, I believe it can be a dabble game. It's really not a complicated system mechanics-wise (especially now the rules are better laid out). I have found most of the mind bending stuff is in game. Defensive set ups, covering allies, dealing with Rambos/trick lists and the like. Getting involved in the Infinity Tournament system also adds a bit of a learning curve as well.

No, infinity is not an escalation type game. At all in my opinion. It really hits its straps at around 300pts and I suppose at lower points the ability to handle some opposing lists is more difficult, but once you get your head around the mechanics, you realise how good the balance actually is.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:31 pm 

I'm really keen to get some games against you matt ;) would like to learn enough to play in the mid year event (if I'm free for it) do you still play at NWS?