[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
SCOJU grabs 3rd place in Melbourne - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:30 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:11 pm 

Local hero Scoju hit the podium this weekend, romping into 3rd place with one of the most unique armies ever fielded: a Lord of the Rings force with absolutely zero Might points.
Most people didn't believe it was possible to make such a list, let alone win games with it.

Whether this is one of your systems or not, I hope you'll agree it's always great when someone goes over east and makes us look good :D
Quote:
Thanks to everyone that came to the Silmarilli 2013 today in Melbourne. Strong turn out with 24 competitiors. Photo will be up tonight at some point. Well done to Scott Biss for travelling from Perth for the comp. Reults below:

1st. Travis Stevenson (Dol Amroth)
2nd. Thomas Daddow (Umbar & Harad)
3rd. Scott Biss (Angmar)
4th. Jeremy Shannon (Radgahast's Alliance)
5th. Tim Wraight (Gondor)
6th. Damien Stallard (Rohan)
7th. Mike Los (Moria)
8th. William Hamilton (Isengard)
9th. Matthew Todd (Dwarves)
10th. David Leonard (Harad & Umbar)
11th. Ivan Kuczer (Lothlorien)
12th. Tiernan Maier (Mordor)
13th. Ryan Commins (Dwarves)
14th. Andrew Buckley (Gondor)
15th. Ken Gifford (Arnor)
16th. Michael Sandford (Easterlings)
17th. Fabio Maccarone (Dwarves)
18th. Mason O'neill (Dwarves)
19th. Henry Kerr (Moria)
20th. Charles Tricker (Gondor)
21st. Ryan Kirby (Dwarves)
22nd. Danny Leonard (Thorin's Company)
23rd. Nathan Reid (Isengard)
24th. Connor Nugent (Moria)

Players Choice: Jeremy Shannon
Runner-Up Players Choice: Ryan Commins

Best Sports: William Hamilton
Runner-Up Best Sports: Tiernan Maier

Best Painted: Damien Stallard
Runner-Up Best Painted: Mike Los

Highest Battle Points: Charles Tricker

Beginner Awards: Connor Nugent & Mason O'neill

Break Down:
14 Good Armies
10 Evil Armies

24/28 Attendance (mix of illness and just plain ol dissappearances)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:25 pm 

Thats quality, congrats Scoju.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:28 pm 

Well done man!!

On a side note i'm very very glad that people are referring to him as Scoju and not scott. Scoju is his real Scandinavian name.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:59 pm 

yay Scoju.

i also found it interesting that a top 10 player got best sport

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:17 pm 

Congrats Scoju, great showing mate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

What a bawse. Nice work dude.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:13 pm 

Congrats. I have no idea what might points are, but I love it when people do crazy things that no one expects and are successful. Well done!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:59 pm 

Good job!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:32 pm 

Well done Scoju!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:47 pm 

Excellent stuff Scoju.

Something else that is interesting about the results, the variety of armies that make up the top ten. The only double up was Harad & Umbar. I'm very keen to see what they consisted of... :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:31 pm 

Hey Fellas,

Thanks for the praise.

I had massive amounts of fun at the event, and have convinced some of the players that it is about time they venture this way for an event of ours.

Photos of the event are on the facebook link (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 027&type=1) and I will post some of my own once they are on my computer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:55 pm 

hey scott, congrats! What was your list? I love wacky lists that are suprisingly effective.

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:36 pm 

Its been almost one week since Melbourne, but Ive been There and Back Again with pictures to be had.
As you know, I placed third, netting a sweet Medallion, a certificate and Lindir, Elrond's advisor (Sweet model BTW).

What you might not know is what I had to desolate to place third, so below is a brief battle report and some swanky pictures.

For those that might not know much about The Hobbit SBG, dont hesitate to ask a few questions, or even request a game to see what it is all about 8)

Ive got a few photos of the themed tables at the event, including Bree, Goblin Town and Amon Sul.

And some Happy Snaps of the armies on show

Game 1 - Reconnoitre (or - move models off your opponents board edge for more points)
Opponent - Tiernan (Mordor)
Tiernan had an army quite similar to mine - A barrow-Wight with Spectres and a Witchking on Horse, but included Shelob, a Troll Chieftain and Black Numenoreans to boot! I knew I had to neutralise his Witchking early, and stop Shelob from running past my lines to score points. The traditional Sap Will battle between Ringwraiths eventually ended up with the Witchking left on 2 Will and the Dwimmerlaik flying around on 7 or 8 Will - Win for me. Shelob managed to dismount two Trackers from their Wargs and kill them. I swiftly retaliated by throwing a fair few Orcs and even the Dwimmerlaik into the combat after Sapping her Will, and one the fight inflicting one wound. A single failed courage test saw her flee from the table - Win for me. I reformed the lines to take on the Black Numenoreans next to stop them creeping off the table. We ended the game with me finally cataching and slaying the Witchking (Slain leader = 3points for me), breaking his army (3 points for me. I was one model from breaking), and Tiernan scoring 3 points from moving off the board to my 2.
Win

Game 2 - Domination (or - claim the five objectives we just placed on the table)
Opponent - Travis (Dol Amroth)
Travis is the cream of the crop, Melbourne's very own Matt Aird :D I was looking forward to this game, but very worried also. Travis had 11 Black Root Vale archers, which meant I needed to take the fight to him, but clever manouvring around terrian, and splitting his battlelines effectively had me split my force too. Then - my folly. A perfectly executed Bait and Switch left my most powerful models in the middle of nowhere, with half of my army becoming overwhelmed elsewhere. Travis had the upperhand from then on, and I did my best to stem the tide against him, bringing his 37 models army 4 from breaking. But it was too much. Prince Imrahil stayed out of the fight until the last possible moment, killing the Dwimmerlaik (Slain leader = 3 points for Travis), breaking my army (3 points for Travis) and claiming another 11 points from the objectives, with only my Castellan and a single Cave troll still fighting.
Lose

Game 3 - Hold Ground!
Opponent - Henry (Moria)
Henry had defeated the last two opponents he fought, including Radagast and 5 Eagles! This scenario however would see our forces split up as we enter the table. His choice of deployment for my Dwimmerlaik went against him as he sought to trap my Warband between two of his that had already deployed. Instead, I deployed more of my Warbands nearby to help out. In the next four turns of fighting, I lost 2 Orcs and killed 20+ Goblins. Henry's break point is 27 models, and after a force was broken, the game might suddenly end. I had to slow down the killing, and focused on assassinating Duburz (Slain leader = 3 points for me). Henry's other warbands made it to the centre first, and created a shieldwall 6" out, attempting to stop my models from claiming any points (each model within 6" = 1 point). I instead focused on one end of his shieldwall, crippled it in one turn (also breaking his army in that turn = 3 points for me). Luckily, the game kept going, and I flooded the game, engaged the Heroes and tried to make as many goblins as possible fail their courage checks to keep fighting. The game ended with Henry with 6 models within 6", and me with 12 models within 6".
Win

I leave you with some of the best objective markers I have ever seen - 5 trees that Thorins company climb just before they get set alight. If you look closely, the entire company is up in the branches for safety!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable