You may have seen discussion and reports from the last online X-Wing tournament on Westgamer. Three WA players signed up and battled about 140 of the best players from around the world. From our teeny-tiny middle of nowhere outpost on the edge of the desert, we had one player (me!) make the last 16 and another (Alex) actually win the Redemption League, grinding his way to first place in this Runners-Up League with a classic tie-swarm.
Team Covenant is about to run another World Tournament, so I thought I'd post a note to see if any other players might be interested in signing up for the event. Alex, Doublegg and I found the level of competition pretty intense, but the games challenging and fun.
Note: Squads may include cards/ships from Waves 1-5, including the fully spoiled Rebel Aces expansion.
Announcing the 2014 Team Covenant Open!
http://teamcovenant.com/theorist/2014/0 ... 4-tc-open/
It’s time for the next online X-wing tournament, on the path to World’s. I encourage all players who can enter to toss their squad into the squared circle and try their hand at winning the title of “Online X-wing Champion”. It doesn’t matter if you are new to X-wing, not a Team Covenant regular, or if you’ve never played online — join battle!
Playing the role of TO for this tournament is both myself and Antigrapist, trying our hand at a jointly run tournament. I’ll be sharing game logs for viewing. Antigrapist will take in reported win/loss information, track scores, and post new pairings. Both of us are available for rules questions and solutions to any unlikely disputes that arise.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO PLAY
– a computer; sorry, there’s no app for this!
– VASSAL, a virtual board-game platform available at vassal.org
– The most recent X-wing VASSAL module (version 5.1.5)
– some free time each week for a single game; probably a 2 hour window
– not a dime; TC tournaments are free to join!
– a sporting attitude! Fly casual!
This tournament is expected to be 1 game a week for 8-9 weeks, completing just before/after World’s. You’ll be provided with limited contact information for each opponent, and will schedule your game for that week at your mutual convenience. If you do not think you will be able to schedule and play 1 game a week without much trouble, I encourage you not to enter. It will only break your heart when you have to drop after going 4-0.
This tournament will be run under FFG’s new Margin-of-Victory Swiss rules, which will determine who is winning and what pairings are made each round. But as always here at Team Covenant, we are putting a -slight- spin on who qualifies!
– We will have 4 rounds of Swiss pairings to qualify for the elimination bracket.
– Low seat will go to the 0W-3L player who scores highest in Round 4.
– Second/third lowest seats will go to the 1W-2L players who score highest in Round 4.
– All other seats will fill based on record and MoV score. We expect a 16 or 32 player elimination bracket.
Why the 3 wildcard seats in Round 4? We want everyone to have a chance through qualifying, and have a reason to hang in there. So don’t give up if you are struggling! Round 4 might get you to the real show!
Also! The new “debris” obstacles will be legal for this tournament! The rules for them are:
— The pile of obstacles is 12 instead of 6; after 6 are placed, discard the rest.
— If you overlap debris, gain 1 stress token and roll 1 red die; take 1 crit on a -crit- result.
— If you park on debris, you are still allowed to shoot in the combat phase.
SQUAD BUILDING RULES
Squads may include cards/ships from Waves 1-5, including the fully spoiled Rebel Aces expansion.
In addition to that, players may submit 2 squad lists for qualifying. You may play either list in qualifying. Use a dial to reveal your choices simultaneously (speed 1 or speed 2). Make sure your opponent knows which speed represents which list before either player reveals. You may bring 2 Rebel lists, 2 Imperial lists, or 1 of each!
All players who qualify must drop 1 list and play only their remaining list through elimination. All players will make their decision on what list to keep when they play their first elimination game — whatever you play in your first elimination game, you play for the rest of elimination. Choose carefully!
HOW TO SIGN-UP
Ask questions here, in the comments section of this announcement.
Send your intention to enter to: email@example.com
We need the following:
– Your sign-in name here on Team Covenant (how your opponents will contact you)
– 1 or 2 squad lists; I suggest you submit 2, since there is no advantage to submitting just 1
– an immediate request for assistance, if you need help setting up VASSAL for online play
If we get a large number of people, things could get chaotic.
Here are the sign-up rules:
– Send only 1 email, and make sure you do not neglect needed information.
– Include your final decision only. No adding/changing lists once you enter.
– Declaration to enter does not count. We need that email from you to sign you up.
Feel free to announce in the comments section that you have officially entered!
DEADLINE FOR ENTRY
Be signed up by Monday, September 15th.
- See more at: http://teamcovenant.com/theorist/2014/0 ... nRUnL.dpuf