[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Australian Masters 40k - Page 4 - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:45 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:41 am 

Day two about to begin. I lost two extremely close ones so I've only got one win. Neil has two massive wins though and is still in the hunt.

Post subject: Australian Masters 40k
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:50 am 

Good luck on day 2, Tom and Neil!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:39 pm 

Wel day three was great for me! Not so much for neil :( Two big wins got me third place!*

Its possibly actually fourth place depending on how you rank it. Neil came eleventh so he was very competitive too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:04 pm 

Quote:
Wel day three was great for me! Not so much for neil :( Two big wins got me third place!*

Its possibly actually fourth place depending on how you rank it.
I rank it FIRST out of WA's competitors. :D
Well done!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:29 pm 

Quote:

Its possibly actually fourth place depending on how you rank it. Neil came eleventh so he was very competitive too.
Congrats man, well done to both of you!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:43 pm 

Yea wkend was mad, so much fun and some narly ideas for armies for all WA boys to feed off. 11th in my first Master is gd, throw down some major challenges for people, 20 - 0 win against GKs n a spiritseer council, 20 - 0 lose against Tau n Tom n a 12 - 8 lose to dark angel conclave. Mad games !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:52 am 

Nice jobs guys, pretty damn good results! Really interested to see some of the lists. Are/were they posted online anywhere?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:01 am 

Quote:
Nice jobs guys, pretty damn good results! Really interested to see some of the lists. Are/were they posted online anywhere?
They were posted up on the 40k Masters FB page

https://www.facebook.com/Australian.40k ... =notify_me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:12 am 

It was a no comp, but restricted force org system. So you could have one 'large' detachment (CAD or similar), one 'medium' (allied detachment only), and one 'small' (formation).

So there was hardcore lists, but nothing I would call out and out filth. The overall undefeated winner just had a blob squad, a few leman russes and a couple of wyverns with some magic (only like 6-9ish warp charge) and cypher.

There was some funny lists, like the triple Flyrant plus triple Adamantium Lance, or the ten Spirit Seer warp charge spam list.

Ill go into more details today. But I just landed so I need to unwind first.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:18 pm 

First thing to mention about the Masters was the Missions. They were awesome! Every mission was a combination of Eternal War, Maelstrom and Kill Points, but it wasnt a nightmare to manage and was actually really well balanced. Everything just adds VPs, and whoever has the highest at the end wins, simples. The Eternal war missions varied, but were 6VPs for the Relic, 4VPs for the drawhammer missions (so 8 total), 3VPs for normal objectives (crusade/big guns (12 or 15 total)) and 1 1 2 2 3 3 for Scouring (12 total). You would deploy all 6 objectives every game though, so if you were playing Crusade with 4 objectives then objectives 5 and 6 were worth no VPs. The reason for this was that you were playing Maelstrom as well so sometimes it was worth capturing these anyway. To make it fair you could only ever claim two succesful maelstrom cards in a turn (so across the game most people would be getting 8-15ish VPs this way). Finally you count up kill points, find the difference, and award the difference to the winner, capped at 8.

This was a variation on the ETC missions from Serbia last year. I think the ETC version was a little better but it used a custom deck of 18 missions instead of the standard 36, so I would say the Masters version is easier for a TO to run.

I think the inclusion of Maelstrom is pretty vital in a balanced tournament scene as it really weakens some of the sillier power builds (deathstars especially).

Also they printed off a very simple scoring sheet for each mission, so there really wasnt any additional book keeping.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:21 pm 

I'll agree on the missions. I played a single practise game against Neil a week beforehand. It confused the hell out of me, but it made for a very fluid and dynamic game. Cannot recommend adopting this enough. Only issue, is that it's not exactly accessable to newbies. It really is quite complex, and requires a pretty thoughtful approach to what already is a complex game.

For events such as Ultimates (or whatever replaces it), and some more of the more competitive tournaments we may see this year, I'd really love to see them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:00 pm 

So my army was actually a very lazy one, I took what I took to Ultimates, dropped the things that didnt work and just added in whatever I had that was painted!

Farseer (with spirit stone to summon demons on wc2), with Bikelock, with 6 Bikes

Spiritseer, with 5 Wraithguard
Wave Serpent

10 Guardians, with Warlock and Bright Lance
Wave Serpent

5 Dire Avengers
Wave Serpent

5 Dire Avengers
Wave Serpent

5 Dire Avengers
Wave Serpent

Wraithknight

Thats it, kinda boring but whatever! 7 Warp charge, so not a heap, but I think it was enough for my needs :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:17 pm 

Game 1 - vs Josh Diffy - Chaos Demons

Hes running a screamer council: Warp charge 23 (to start) with Fatey and Belakor and only one unit of Screamers. He has Coteaz, an inquisitor and some henchmen for the cheap warp charge, the reroll on sieze and for servo skulls. And he has a Void Shield with 3 shields to hide behind to avoid being alpha struck.

I go first, so I alpha strike :D The wraithknight and first two wave serpents down the void shields. Diffy thought he had hidden Belakor well enough, but I got a couple of good lines on him and nailed him to the wall with the rest of my serpents. First blood, and the only source of invisibility gone. Over the next couple of turns he summons a LOT of heralds and scores some maelstrom, while i kill a few of his unimportant things and get some points too. I do a few wounds to Fatey, and the council of heralds all lose wounds due to perils. At one point he Misfortunes my Wraithknight and hits it with about 6 flickering fires and the screamers' fly by attack, and I fail 6 of the 8 4+ saves i was getting, for the big fella to die :(

Unfortunately time is called on my turn 4, in the shooting phase. I dont have a chance to move onto objectives, and Diffey just turbo boosts all the council out of the screamers and easily claims all five objectives. I lose :(

I think given the final turn call at the start of turn 4 I could have consolidated on three objectives with enough obsec models to ensure I took them no matter what. I dont think that would have been enough for the win though, probably would have scraped a minor loss. If we had gone to turn 6, I think I would have been able to clean up Fatey and a Few of his other smaller units, and it could have been a really close one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:06 pm 

Here is my Day 1 batt-rep. Sorry there isn't a lot of detail in all the games, I did have a pretty epic hang over day 1, drinking from 3pm to 3am with the Melbourne lads will do that,...

Game 1 vs Gks (Mike Blair) Pretty sure this was Big Guns. Dawn of War.

Miks list: lvl 3 libby with domina liber, Draigo, 10 Purifiers with 4 incinerators, 5 Strike Knights with psycannon, 10 Interceptors with 2 incinerators, 2 teleporting Dreadknights with heavy incinerator n psilencers 1 with sword 1 with hammer, cullexus assassin, coteaz n defenseline with quad gun.

First turn saw me kill a knight with a grav unit on my right flank, the battle cannon dropped the interceptors with 8 hits x 2... and the heavy stubbers taking a wound off the assassin. With 3 bike squads holding middle ground and the last on the left flanks on a turbo boost move.

Mike Gates Draigo, libby and purifiers in between the the units for the left n right flank, they go invisible till I point out they have scattered so the unit is with in 12 of his assassin... no invisibility and Draigo isnt at the front ? opps, has some unlucky dice rolls and doesnt kill a full unit of bikes and there is now a floating vortex of doom between my left flank unit and his strike squad... last knight fails a 10 inch charge and loses 3 of its 4 wounds to a grav squad from over watch...

My turn 2 and with the all the unfortunate luck Mike had I saw to put him out of his misery quickly. Also the floating vortex of doom jumps over his strike squad to miss them by 2mill, the Imp. Knight dropped his battle cannons on the purifiers scoring a scary 24 hits which saw 7 purifiers and the libby go down before draigo could tank the remained (libby failed his first 2+ save and died to double strength) then command squad's grav clean up the rest. Of what was left... the grav squad next to the command squad crashed the remaining 1 wound dreadknight with unrelenting ease.

Mike reaches over the table and goes thanks for the game... Not the best time to make a mistake and some really unfortunate luck, we have all been there it's not a great feeling... 20 – 0 win to me.

Game 2 is against Hayden from QLD and his Tau.

List: 2 missile pod commanders, 1 with mirror-dex, a buff bodyguard, a missile body guard, 10 kroot, 2 x 3 man missile crisis suits, 2 ion riptides (1 being from the support cadre) n 2 x 3 man high-yield broadside teams from the support carde...

Short story is a lot of preferred enemy space marines, Hayden having first turn and 4 turns later its pretty much what Mike just felt, yet I lasted longer and fought till the last man dropped and made every shot count... but it just didn't lol.

We at less had fun giving each other (censored) :) 0 -20 lose to me

Game 3 was against Jason Collins and his 17 warp charge spirit seer council.

His list: 10 Spirit Seers (Mantle, Faolchu's wings), 6 warlocks on J.bikes, 2 J.bike squad (3), 3 shadow weavers, Iron hands libby, 5 tact marines, stormraven, culexus assassin n a bastion.

Jason gives me first turn, reserves the council, J.bikes and hides the assassin in one corner and the shadow weavers in the other behide the bastion with the marines in it as the libby hangs out in the raven.

I scout all units bar one melta unit at the bastion and the guys hiding in it and behind it, while the other unit heads at the assassin. Melta bikes blow up the bastion and a lot of fire power goes into the the remain models I can see. Assassin makes his saves. Assassin lives, and so do the shadow weavers.

His turn 1 doesn't really see any damage happen as you can guess.

My turn 2. I kill all but the assassin... he is a tricky ninja to take down when hiding so I moved and turbo boosted that bike squad to grab some points.

His turn 2, only a unit of 3 jetbikes n the raven come on. Again not a lot of damage taken, 1 hull point on the knight and a dead biker. No council on the table !

My turn 3... The thing I should of done turn 2... turbo boosted all my bike I could to cover his board edge.... yet this is 4 to 5 inches of the board edge I cant... the turbo boosting melta squad from last turn cant help out, to they kill the 3 jetbikes, as the TFCs heap trying to drop shells on the assassin.

His turn 3... council comes on and sees Kar'sarro tank all the psychic witchfire from the council in his attempt to remove my command squad, the council goes invisible and the raven fails to hurt the knight as I place the shield on his rear facing and roll like a god yet again.

My turn 4, I snap fire and charge 2 bike squads into his council, I lose 4 bikes from the squad supporting the command squad and my hammer of wraith kills 4 jetbikes. Drawn combat and he doesnt have hit and run as the mantle isnt in the unit ??? what ??? I ignored the raven this turn. As the knight moves forward to charge the council the following turn.

His turn 4, raven does nothing as he only has a multi-melta that miss and an assault cannon that has its 2 hits svaed against. We do combt and the last bikers from the melta squad die and the chapter master tanks all the wounds even with a -1 to my armour save. I lose, pass moral and hit and run.

My turn 5, command squad re-charges, knight fails a 8 inch charge :(. my hammer of wraith does 4 wounds, he does 1 to the chapter master after all the 3+ armour saves n fell no pains, I win by 3, he fails moral, I cut him down. Oh and in the shooting phase a melta bike squad snap fired at his raven, that doesnt jink, I get a hit, a pen n roll a 5 for damage... plus 2 for ap1... no more raven..

He concedes... So biggest leason, hammer and wrath the poo out of any invis unit below T5 and with out a 2+ save... If I had the knight get in, it would have been great to see what stomp would of done. 20 – 0 win to me :)

So after day 1, I have two 20 – 0 wins and a 0 – 20 lose... I was in 5th place at this time... not a bad start... and all with a hang over :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:29 pm 

Shortly before the Misfortune on the Wraithknight:

Game 2

Played against a NSW lad called Jay and his Eldar. We had very similar lists, both warp charge 7. He had one less wave serpent, but one more wraithknight, no bikes, but he had swooping hawks, he had some fire dragons, and his farseer was the mantle-bike combo.

Jay had first turn and knocked off one of my Serpents after I deployed all mine 48"+ away so he had no scatter laser lock. He put his 4 heavy wraithcannon shots into my knight but I passed all my cover saves. I returned fire with my serpents but didnt kill anything in return, however my knight rolled the handy six to wound and knocked out his Knight. I also started summoning, this was my big summoning game. I used daemonettes to pressure his remaining Knight, and sent Screamers boosting in towards his Serpents. He killed my knight, but had to start shooting screamers with Wave Serpents. My Serpents quickly knocked out all of his once they were safe. My Wraithguard also rolled a six against his second knight! I then started spamming bloodletters and bloodcrushers to clean up the remaining models: fire dragons and wraithguard, while my serpents got to kill the mantle-seer.

In the end he had a couple models remaining, but I had scored a comprehensive 19-1 victory. This was probably the game where summoning has been at its best since I started using it.