[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
40k Australian Team Championships 2016 Team Selection WA - WestGamer
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:33 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:42 pm 

ATC 40K 2016 - WA TEAM SELECTION

The goal here is to begin the selection process for the 40k ATC team for 2016 with a fresh look at the team dynamic. I have utilised a good section of the WHFB ETC selection process as I think this gives the state the best chance of getting the best team together now and in the future.

The largest change is removing the reliance of rankings positions for selections in line with the majority of other states specifically around improving our selection process. The fact we have no league or ranking structure makes this even more of a necessity.

I have reviewed this with multiple captains across the ATC and current and post ATC players etc. In short this is a system designed and put into place to ensure we have the best team now and for future events.

Please see the selection process detailed below and I will open a new topic shortly around open Applications to the ATC.

Such changes are bound to bring various responses positive, negative or indifferent. Please keep responses constructive and I will do my upmost to respond to them clearly and in a timely fashion.

Selection Process

8 players to be selected.

Captain - selected by outgoing ATC team [Spot 1 taken]

Captain selects up to 2 players (from the outgoing team) to be on the selection committee forming a team of 3. These 2 players need not be the best generals from the outgoing team but should provide a valuable contribution to the team either through list design, match ups, team coaching or just helping the captain as required pre, during and post event.

The goal with this decision is to provide continuity of the team across each year – taking learning from previous years to make each year more successful.

Remaining 5 spots opened up to the community. Applicants to be selected by the committee.

Applications

Following are the key questions that will be reviewed in the process. You will also need to have a decent conduct record to be considered for the team. Sports scores from the years events will be taken into consideration but will not be a deal breaker automatically to joining the team. Also what is expected so applicants understand what undertaking is required for the team and themselves.

The Expectation for the Team.

The goal of the team is to finish the ATC event every year with the highest ranking possible (ideally top 3) while upholding the values of the WA community in the eyes of the other states.
Fair play and sportsmanship must be upheld at all times. This is of paramount importance. One of the most important parts of the event is to grow the Australian community and create connections across the country. Poor behaviour may see you excluded from selection for future events.

The key result is that of the team – no one individuals results should be more important to them than the results that the team achieves. You should be willing to take coaching from the team – both in suggestions for army selection, deployment and so on. Depending on the role you play within the team, you should also expect to have to ‘tweak’ your list and add a unit or 2 to meet the goals of the team though you may also be up for building a whole new force!

Lastly, you have to be aware that you will almost certainly have to ‘take one for the team’ at some point – imagine having to play a game against the worst possible match up at a tourney – that list that is a hard counter to your own. You will almost universally have to deal with this and MINIMISE the loss to let the team achieve its goals (win the round!) – losing the game is ok but playing smart and keeping the teams outcome first is paramount!

Who can apply for Team WA?

Anyone who has played at least 1 tournament in WA in a calendar year; or
Anyone who has previously represented Team WA in the last 2 years.

What criteria can help an application (but which won't make you a dead cert)?
- Having prior ATC or ETC experience (for any state or country)
- Taking a podium finish at a 20 plus player event
- Playing multiple armies (circa 3-4) to a strong tournament standard with details of preference for army selection if included in the team (ie 1 – eldar, 2 – blood angels, 3 – Skitarii)
- Being familiar with and happy using Eternal War and Maelstrom
- Travelling interstate or international to tournaments in the last 2 years

What criteria will not be helpful to an application (but may not be deal breakers)
- Having a history of being a bad loser
- Only playing 1 army
- Only playing a limited number of tournaments per year

Players should also provide an example of their most competitive army list they would take to an 1850 point event with a limit of 3 detachments.

The application MUST address the above criteria for consideration.

The Nitty Gritty

Cost is always going to be a considerable factor in your decision to apply. Expect flights and accommodation to be around $1,000 to $1,500 (more or less) and you should be ok. We will always try and get group accommodation where possible (as this helps with the team planning and keeps cost down). Budgeting $2,000 should be adequate (depending on how much you want to eat and drink!) to cover your team shirt(s), entry to the event, meals and so on. If you can not 100% commit to this cost then you should reconsider your application.

The team will be looking to run a couple of fund raising events and look for sponsorships to ease some of the financial burdens for the team but this is not guaranteed.

Lastly, we will be looking to meet up once every month or so to discuss new releases that will impact on the army lists we take, play some practice games and work on making everyone the best player they can be. We all have lives outside of the hobby and this will be difficult to organise but it is vital to maximise the teams chance of success. We will ideally rotate the location of these meetings to make sure no one person is impacted more than anybody else.

If you have any questions please sing out and I will respond ASAP

2016 EVENT DETAILS

At this stage, the 2016 ATC will be held in Sydney, NSW. Melbourne will be the fall back option should NSW be unable to host for any reason. At this stage, the event is likely to run later than the last couple of years - early September in 2016 being the most likely scenario. Once these details are finalised I will confirm them to the community.

The army building process is also likely to undertake a change for the teams with some sort of Community Comp limit likely to be used as well as the limit of each codex only being used once per team also a high chance.

As more of these decisions are finalised later this year I will keep everyone informed.

Thanks
Mike Basc
ATC WA Committee Member

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:46 pm 

As part of the process outlined above, the outgoing team have voted for the captain for 2016. This has resulted in a unanimous decision to have me retain captains duties for the 2016 period.

I would like to thank the team for 2015 - Pete, Mitch, Richard, Tom, Alex, Matt and Neil - for their hard work and contribution this year as well as their confidence and support in next years endeavour.

Once I have selected the 2 other selection committee members I will post the details here.

If you have any questions, again please fell free to get in touch with me
Thanks
Mike Basc
obsec@optusnet.com.au

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable