[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Chaos Space Marine Help - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:36 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
 Post subject: Chaos Space Marine Help
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:41 pm 

Hi there Guys.

I haven't played any form of war-games for several years now. I am looking to get back into the hobby slowly over the next 12 months.

Basically I am after some help building a competitive, fun Chaos Space Marine Army. I have managed to get a copy of the latest Chaos Marine Codex and I have just ordered some troops online who should be here soon.

If there are any Chaos Marine players out there who are able to shed a little light on what I should go for, what i should avoid etc etc, it would be very much appreciated :)

My only restriction is that I will be using Chaos Cultists as a troop choice and I am not that keen on using Demons at all, but I would rather use actual Marines/Humans. Other than that I am happy to look at any and all suggestions :)

Thanks in Advance!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:01 pm 

CSM are struggling competitively these days but can still be fun to play!

The new Khorne Daemonkin can also be very cool to play with though I know you would prefer no daemons.

Do you have any preference of Chaos God?

Marked Nurgle Obliterators, Hell Drakes, Mauler Fiends, flying Daemon Princes and cultists are all solid choices

Of the Cult Troops - Plague marines are good and the noise marines can be good as well. Berzerkers are not worth it (run them as CSM with mark of khorne) and the 1K Sons are over priced and less useful due to cover saves.

Terminators are best run as minimum units with combi melta for a short range tank kill suicide squad. Generally, only run possessed as part of the crimson slaughter codex.

Any specific advice you are after?

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:09 pm 

I find picking a theme from The 40k universe fluff gives me the starting point for an army and then what units I like the look of and write a list using the force org restriction ( of which there aren't many now). After a few games you work out what units work and which ones may be better off back in the box.

Internet lists can be handy if thinking of diving straight into competitive tournament play and don't feel like going through too much experimentation on your own.

I've just finished a plague marine army coz I like zombies. Lots of zombies!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:19 pm 

Basically everything in the CSM Fast Attack section is pretty good. Chaos Lords on bikes or juggernaughts are great. Sorcerors are great (cheap ML3 and chaos familiars are BROKEN). Demon Princes are good.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:55 pm 

Hi Guys.

I am mainly after just generic advice at this stage. I am mainly after a list that is Fun First however I dont want it routed off the board by the end of the second turn if that makes sense.

I will be doing a list to go along with Orange and his Skull Road League to grow the Army over the next 6 months or so.

I will be putting together a small 500 point list shortly to include 1HQ, 2 Troops and maybe an Elite or something for my first 500 points.

If anyone can suggest a good starting list to go with it would be very much appreciated.

I was thinking a Chaos Lord, Squad of Cultists, Squad of Marines and Dreadnought

Thoughts?

Post subject: Chaos Space Marine Help
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:00 pm 

If your thinking 500pts then you are probably on the right track with a lord and 2 squads. This will come out at around the 250pts mark with no upgrades. A helbrute will be another 100 or so. This will leave you with points for some needed upgrades.
Other ideas:
If you are set on consistently running cultists you might consider a dark apostle as your HQ to make up for the poor leadership.
In place of or as well as the helbrute consider:
Terminators: you can field a small unit for around 100pts and you can easily build on them as the size of your army increases
Obliterator: same, you can start with one and build on them as your army grows and he will give a little vehicle busting ability

I agree with others that deciding on a chapter your want to build will help with deciding on future unit choices.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable