[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Tau in 7th edition? - WestGamer
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:12 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
 Post subject: Tau in 7th edition?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:30 pm 

So after being out of the game since 5th I've been considering rejigging my Tau for 7th.
Looking through the latest book I'm fairly flabbergasted at the power boost the army has been given but have no idea how they stand withing the context of the current meta.

Also missile drones seem insanely overpowered for 12 points!
Is this actually the case or am I missing something?

Post subject: Re: Tau in 7th edition?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:35 pm 

The new book is due for release any time now mate! hold off a month or so!

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:52 pm 

Yup heard that as well Mike.
Although if it follows the trends from 3rd everything will just get better (except Broadsides in the current book for some reason)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:24 pm 

Its a very good codex, but probably 2/3s of the way down the power scale these days (marines/eldar/crons/knights are all pretty silly). Of course with comp its on even keel. If youre playing standard missions tau are pretty much on par still, but they really struggle in maelstrom (which are great if you havnt played them yet).

Missile drones are great too, but you can only take them in broadside squads so obviously that limits them a bit (but broadside squads are the business so it dosnt hurt).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:38 pm 

Just read that a very quick FAQ limited drones to Broadsides.
Which I don't mind too much considering I was planning on taking 9 anyway, but it does reign in strength 7 spam to less ridiculous levels.

How does Maelstrom work/affect them? (excuse the extremely ignorant question)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:07 pm 

Maelstrom in general rewards mobile multi-dimensional armies. Neither of which are the tau. So sometimes youll be asked to capture objectives at different parts of the table, or asked to assault something, which can be a bit challenging. Riptides are your big saving grace, 4d6 bounce move, and being ace in combat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:17 pm 

I was leaning towards a Farsight enclave crisis suit based list which could address a lot of the mobile troop issues?
18 suits in squads of three.

Is combat utterly necessary or will late turn contests suffice in 7th?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:19 pm 

Maelstrom does not do late game contest - its scored every turn depending on the cards in your hand.

Late game is fine for eternal war missions in most cases

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:08 am 

The new tau book will have its own cards, like every other book, which will cater to the tau doctrines. So tau most likely wont have to do melee, given that they kinda suck at melee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:16 am 

Quote:
The new tau book will have its own cards, like every other book, which will cater to the tau doctrines. So tau most likely wont have to do melee, given that they kinda suck at melee
The codex cards always replace 6 of the hold objective cards, so your chance of getting a 'destroy enemy in assault' or 'issue a challenge' stay the same.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable