[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
AdvanceOp's Hobby Blog - Page 5 - WestGamer
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:32 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:48 pm 

It does look big next to the tank! Though I think Warlord kits are on the small size.

And I'm deeply interested in comparisons!

I got all my dudes ready last night. Karaoke comp tonight, so yeah... hopefully be in a somewhat fit shape tomorrow!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:23 am 

Château la Boîte
Full Blog post

Painting as it turns out was just as troublesome :( The fine lasercut detail was almost impossible to preserve and I found myself painting this terrain piece like I would a 28mm miniature! In the end I gave up before I buried all the detail, and black lined the shutters with a fine line pen. Even then slipped out of the lasercut grooves once or twice, or the line didn't go straight :(

Here’s all the floors that make up the château. I’ve given the floor a luxurious crimson carpet, but haven’t gone back to fix up the interior walls just yet. My plan is to wallpaper them once I get my colour printer cartridges replaced.

Putting all the floors together it looks like a proper building with no hint of the interior painting sloppiness.

Front View

Back View

The exterior has been given the full detail treatment with moss on the roof, flowers behind the rear stairs, and a vine creeping up one side.

Detail close-up of the vine.

So Château done & dusted. The rest of the French village is inbound!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:24 am 

That looks wonderful. Really impressed with that.

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Want to get into BATTLETECH? Chuck me a PM.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:25 am 

Wow - fantastic. I'm loving the vine work and the flock to give it that aged feel.

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:44 pm 

That looks great Dave, the vines and the moss really set if off. And I hadn't thought of using a pen on the shutters like that.

What else are you having in your village?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:43 pm 

Thanks guys. I hope to get a game or two against you with it on the table.

The vines were a little challenging. I got a lot of leaves super-glued to my fingers, nearly glued the ground floor and 1st floor together when glue seeped through a join, and had to find a way to make the vine join between ground to 1st floor and still be able to separate the two, but in the end it all came together. Looking forward to many a battle over it.

I originally was just going to get the château but the progress on casting my own wall parts has been very slow. Hand making component and making moulds is slow going. Rewarding, but slow. Then I had a bit of a hobby fund windfall and being happy with the Château decided to go for it.

I agonised for weeks over what to add. Entered the order then closed the browser and walked away... after taking a screenshot of the original so I could re-enter it easily... at least twice. Every time thinking terrain I can make and save those dollars for more toy soldiers. However, I am determined to "upgrade my game" and have great terrain, custom tokens, custom dice, etc rather than continuing the cycle of just adding to the lead pile, only to sell it years later. It's not often the stuff goes up in value after all.

So, inbound (possibly sitting in my parcel locker right now) I have a variation of what the Demo Gamers reviewed here.

I have a different church, no fountain (I have other plans for that), and variations on the row houses but essentially it's about the same number of buildings. I am hoping that with the experience gained making the château I can whip through the smaller buildings a bit faster, and will have a complete village by the end of the slow grow league.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:05 pm 

That'll be great when it's all done, we will have to combine our sets to make a bigger village. Which church did you get?

And I know what you mean with those vines. The fact they're so painful is why I haven't used them much, I need to try a glue other than superglue, PVA or hot glue gun to see if that is better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:18 pm 

Your village is going to look stunning if they are done to the same level as the chateau.

Total hear where you are coming from when it comes to investing in terrain over lead. Having sold off all my terrain to start again its something I am trying to do myself. I just keep getting tempted by new Shiney things. I really should have more willpower as other then my infinity terrain I have next to nothing left.

Looking forward to seeing you progress, especially on the terrace houses.

Oh and if you do combine your sets for a large town game, please take some photos. :)

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Want to get into BATTLETECH? Chuck me a PM.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:44 am 

All bar one of the buildings assembled on the weekend.

Of all these the church was the most fragile and I busted one of the roof decorations assembling it, and nearly busted the main doors, as each plank on the door is lasercut through! Then when I went to move it, the spire fell against me and the cross broke off :( I suppose better now than when painted. A new cross has been made from plasticard which should have some flex and be more durable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:20 am 

That church looks great, is the cross going to be something that's always going to fall off?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:40 am 

Those buildings look great! Sounds like you have taken on a pretty big job but the fantastic results of all you hard work speak for themselves. I will look forward to seeing them on the table.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:57 am 

Looking forward to breaking out the airbrush and painting these guys in bulk. Hopefully that will take a bulk of the work out but yes, it's pretty daunting to look at!

For FoW I bought cast, pre-painted buildings so much less arduous. I really like having a small (or large) village on the table in WWII games.

The cross should be OK now. I had to drill out the point and made the plastic cross long enough to embed 5-10mm. I thought that it would be something I'd have to be careful of, but was pretty disappointed it took so little to break it. Not sure if there's anything I could have done to strengthen it... Maybe add plasticard to it before assembly? Or just replace it up front. It's much thinner than the original and I am wondering whether I should bulk it up with another layer or two so it looks like stonework, or leave it and paint it to look like metal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:35 pm 

Yeah, villages are great to play around and really help getting things mixed up in a fun and challenging way during the heat of action.

After reading through your posts I could not resist looking up ground and aerial photos the Dzerzhinsky Tractor Works and the Grain Elevator at Stalingrad, the setting for momentous events in late '42. I found them and think I will have a crack at building these once I have got my Poles completed to around 2000 pts. Both would fill a 6x4 or close to it so would be massive projects (I'd have to modularise them). But just imagine battling your way up 10 floors of the grain elevator or through the chaotic ruin of the Tractor Works in the face of fanatical and fierce Soviet opposition. My Poles will learn to speak Russian for the opportunity to get involved on the Soviet side if I can get them built.

I also have in mind to make terrain for a snow-scape battlefield. Snow drifts, icy rivers, crevasses. That would be pretty cool to play on I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:45 pm 

Finally got around to finishing the crew for my SdKfz233, slapping on some mud effects, and taking photo's.

Images are pre-varnish, and for a sneaky reason... you know how you always see the bits you missed in the blown up photo? Well if you take the shot before you varnish, you get to see those missing bits and fix em :D In this case, I clear forgot the decals. Which have now been added.

I mixed the mud effect the right way around this time, adding Baking Soda to water/glue/paint mix rather than the other way around. Made it much smoother. Not sure what method I prefer, this was certainly much easier to apply, but seems to have come out more orange than the Panzer II. As hoped, the mud effect also hides all the poor mis-casting and bubbles on the lower section of the hull :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:55 pm 

Looking good, I use the trick too, it's how I seem to find the last of the mound lines!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next