[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Rusty and in need of practice - WestGamer
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:04 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:15 pm 

Been trying to get back into painting. These are few of my second hand buys that are all still in progress. Advice welcome!

Warg Riders: trying out some schemes. Will matt coat them when detailed.

A Banshee needing sword and gold bits finishing.Image

Some recycled Rohan guys with a few repairs. Image

And lastly my favorite Catachans. Getting the bolter warmed up to hand out the luvin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:44 am 

Those Catachans are neat. Great paint job! Also on the Warg riders and Eldar.

Don't think you need any practice at all!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:38 am 

The Banshee looks very clean to me, clean and smooth and no REALLY visible brush lines. I like it a lot, plus that version of the Banshees is probably my favourite to date so a little biased there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:46 pm 

Thanks guys. Will try and do some more on these this weekend if the aircon keeps the me cool enough. I am doing the Rohan guys next. Do you think the guy on the right is too dark?

This maybe a better pic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:13 pm 

Have been busy in real life but still trying to get something done once and a while.

I have been whittling catachan limbs.

And rehabilitating a Sentinel. I decided to fill in the front armour sections as I like the look of the Elysian Drop Sentinels but haven't got round to justify buying one.

It needed a catachan deranged pilot with modified torso from a trooper and arms with scratched controls.

And a burner to deal with stroppy undergrowth.

And the state of play so far. Do you think I should go with the standard roll cage or try scratching an Elysian style one?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:51 am 

The sentinel looks good! Pilot is great too and the scratch hands are fine if only a little bit mario brothers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:55 am 

Looking good man, doesn't look like you need to shake off too much dust! I really like the subtlety of the blending on the warg's fur.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:24 pm 

Thanks for the cc guys, always appreciated.
I hope the hands will be hidden. If not if might be tempted to replace with some new ones as after I painted the driver I gumtreed some old sentinels with spare joystick hands. Isn't always the way?

The next step is the engine. This what I have but this poking up from the top along withe roll cage are two things I don't like about the sentinel. I might try to scratch Elysian style bits. The Mack Truck exhausts look like they would get ripped off in the jungle pretty quick.

Last edited by Sanzoku on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:20 am 

Quote:
Thanks guys. Will try and do some more on these this weekend if the aircon keeps the me cool enough. I am doing the Rohan guys next. Do you think the guy on the right is too dark?

This maybe a better pic

Lord of the Rings and Hobbit FTW!

Lovely crisp paint job!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:36 am 

Cheers Mr Templar. Should post updates of this guy and his kin who got some experimental basing. Nice Avatar pic btw.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:30 pm 

A long overdue update with some WIPs. I have actually finished some models and even entered them at WASMEx so I haven't been entirely slack.

First up a couple of shots of the Catachan Sentinel as it is presently. Base is about done except for some shell casings, skulls or helmets etc. Still need to properly fix weapons (the Hvy Famer is just PVA'd on and missing its tank thingo), brush cutter and the roll cage. Am considering appropriate transfers and then weathering.

Next some Cadians that have had a little detailing done but need finishing. The mortar team are yet to be fully assembled but are likely to be pretty standard. Did enjoy making the base though. Like the Sentinel base, it needs cluttering with some mortar bombs, a radio and assorted kit.

Sergeant needs highlights but am happy with the new pistol arm. I think he looks a bit more assertive compared to the standard "shooting ducks in flight without aiming" pose. I tried just a seraphim sienna wash on his uniform after seeing Cadians by a guy called Ash on Warseer. Very cool stuff he has indeed.

Lastly a DV Dark Angel just to see how Humbrol 88 does for DA green. What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:45 am 

They look great, I think the Dark Angel looks good. I don't think it's as bright as normal Dark Angel green, but that's not a bad thing.

Do you mind me asking you what your flesh recipe is? I'm always interested to hear as there are so many out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:44 pm 

Cheers for the comment Mr Orange, I am glad the DA looks ok to someone else. The green had only had one highlight with the straight 88, can be seen on the top of the snout etc, the rest is 88 with Agrax over the top. It is really quick with minimal line highlighting.

Skin... The Catachan sentinel pilot was Tamiya flesh with agrax round the eyes and other dark recesses, sepia over all and highlights in flesh again with a touch of whitened flesh on the facial features only. A bit of bluey grey might have been mixed in for the 5 o'clock shadow and skin head.

The Cadian sergeant is Cadian flesh tone with agrax on the eye sockets and mouth with Reikland fresh tone on cheeks etc for some different tones. Not highlighted yet. The flames dude is just Cadian flesh tone with agrax as far as I can recall.

Am liking the Reikland flesh as it dries to a quite subtle tone.

Edited one time for linguistic clarity.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:13 am 

Just been working on the mortar team, playing around with composition.

Components for the mortar team.

Cadian mortar team dry fit

Finished some time ago but thought I would post the Catachan Heavy Bolter Team for posterity.Image

And a couple of their Catachan compadres, one of whom later went on to become Planetary Governor somewhere.

And just to get in on the WW2 vibe, these are in the queue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:46 am 

The heavy hitter, an M3 Lee. The turret was malformed and the guns were atrocious so I trimmed and bogged the turret in to shape and turned some new barrels. I am particularly happy with the coax mg which I think looks much better than the cupola mg that came with the kit. British Lees in Burma tended to have no cupola or at least one without an mg. But I don't want to start "accurizing" it too much as I hate cutting resin...
Just started weathering after trying a few base coats of differing shades. This is Humbrol 86 which maybe a bit light but most photos show the "jungle green" faded and very dusty but without much discernible wear.

The Chindits (PBI)
"They don't like it up 'em"

Comments and thoughts always appreciated.