[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
DBM's Gaming Year in Review - Page 14 - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:23 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:27 pm 

how sweet is the missllile launcher ammo canteens/ loader things !!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:25 pm 

Been busy building additions to my army since last week. At the bits night, some folks commented on the SM Scouts I had in my case, asking why I wasn't using them in my Raven Guard army. It was a nice reminder that I should be. It didn't take me long to add a few more to fill out the squads and get them in fighting shape.

So, here are 20 of them! 10 with Bolters, 5 with Shotguns, and 5 with Bolt Pistols and Combat Knives.

I may use the hooded guy as a Vigilator.

Frankly, I've wanted to use a Sentinel Driver head on a Scout for years - since pics of the first Elysian Drop Troops converted from SM Scouts and IG Tank Driver heads were published in White Dwarf for the Armageddon Campaign years ago. I realized I finally had a good reason to do it now.

I'm planning on painting these assault Recon Marines with pale faces, but a streak of black face paint across the eyes.

Also up to bat, a 5-man Plasma Support Squad.

And finally, a 5-man Terminator Squad. I'm a big fan of the Space Sharks - Carcharodons. They are a successor chapter for the Raven Guard. I'm imagining that the guys in this Terminator Squad are precursors to the Carcharodons.

Lots to paint now.

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:08 am 

Coming along well, but the heads on those terminators look a little off. Having had a bit of recent experience putting non-terminator heads on terminators I know you have to cut a lot of plastic away from the top, back and sides of the helmet to make it fit in properly, and so they don't look like they staring at their toes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:50 am 

Good Work Jacob!!
I like the Scouts I love scout models was so dirty I didn't get those ones of TIMO a wile ago.
Did you mold the plasma guns yourself? how come there a different colour resin/plastic?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:59 am 

Quote:
Coming along well, but the heads on those terminators look a little off. Having had a bit of recent experience putting non-terminator heads on terminators I know you have to cut a lot of plastic away from the top, back and sides of the helmet to make it fit in properly, and so they don't look like they staring at their toes.
Yeah, I may go back and re-do them. Because the MkV heads are the only ones I had, though, I was pretty hesitant to do any trimming on them. I'd like to talk with you tonight and talk about your experience with yours.

I also justified their toe-gazing to myself as them being so much taller than everyone else they have to look down.
Quote:
Did you mold the plasma guns yourself? how come there a different colour resin/plastic?
I didn't do those myself. I've had them sitting in my bitz box for years - got them back long before the days of China/Russia Forge. A guy I knew in the US made me up a batch of 40 of them. This was back in the days long ago of IG Penal Legions where you could run 2- or 3-man teams of them, 1 with a Plasma Gun. Not long after I got them, a new IG Codex came out and made the list unviable. They'd been sitting around waiting for some use. When I bought Timo's Ravenwing army, I'd thought about cutting them down and using them as TL Plasma for the Black Knight bikes, but decided it'd be too much hassle. This seemed like it was finally the right use for them.

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:27 am 

Won't be there tonight I'm afraid, but you have a be a little brave chopping up the heads! I did it with my Forgeworld mk6 helmets, and I found only cutting away a little bit at a time and checking it, then cutting a little more away and checking it, and so on until it was right was the way to do it. I'm talking like 0.2mm at a time.

I found the top ridge needed the most work, as that was what was stopping it from going in there properly. The ear guards might need a little trimming too, as well as the very back of the helmet. I found putting in the neck first, and then pushing the top part of the helmet in as far as it goes and seeing what's obstructing it works best.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:49 am 

So, I know it's been quiet on the hobby blog here for a while, but it's not because I haven't been busy. I have. I've just been keeping things under wraps while I made some decisions about things.

Many of you have heard me complain about painting the Raven Guard being a pain. While the conversions were fun and I love all the Mk VI armour, I just really wasn't enjoying the painting. The painting was a chore. This was opposed to my Dark Eldar, which I really enjoyed painting - like the first army I've enjoyed painting in years. I looked forward to painting them. But the Raven Guard were not like that.

I started looking through the rules of a number of other Legions - Salamanders (I had some good scaled bits from Fantasy Lizardmen and Dark Elves), Dark Angels (lots of bits for them), Blood Angels (ah, the assault cannons!), White Scars (mmmm, bikes and speeders). And tried painting test models for a bunch of other Legions: Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and White Scars. But nothing really clicked. Until I read up and did a test paint of an Iron Warrior.

This was fun. I really enjoyed painting this guy. And I found that as opposed to my largely failed attempts to use my airbrush for painting the Raven Guard, running Leadbelcher and Mithril Silver through the airbrush worked spectacularly well - and frankly (and I imagine to the dismay of some of you), has great coverage - especially over the black of Raven Guard livery.

And then I ran it over a brand new squad - I was so excited, I forgot to undercoat them black first. But the Leadbelcher still went on like a charm.

Shortly before I had given up on my Raven Guard, I started giving some thought to making a Dreadnought heavy list. So I converted up my TL Autocannon Dreads to be TL Lascannon Mortis Dreads and built some pods for them to ride it. These guys would go very well with the new Iron Warriors.

I decided it was also time to start work on the Contemptors that had been sitting in my closet. I'd seen some pretty cool things that people had done with their Contemptors and decided to try it with mine. The plastic BaC Contemptor is a fantastic beast - so easy to convert and play with. And easy to go together, too! I hacked mine apart and added some plastic tubing to make them posable. Each of the legs can pivot, the waist can twist, and the arms are removable. Once I get them in a pose I like, I'll glue them that way (I think! I'll be interested to see if folding them makes them easier to store and transport.) But the arms I'll leave separate so I can give them different loadouts.

I'd wanted to arm the DCCWs with Grav Guns, but I'm cheap and didn't want to put in an order to FW. Ken recommended I use some Dark Eldar Phantasm Launcher bits for them and frankly, I think they turned out looking pretty good, so I went with that.

So I now have two Contemptors, one with dual Kheres Assault Cannons and one with dual DCCW/Grav. I really want to get a second set of DCCW/Grav arms though as these guys are good for podding in behind vehicles and taking them out. (Ooh. Just realized I need to drill the barrels on those assault cannons.)

And as the next project for my Iron Warriors goodness, some Tyrant Siege Terminators. These are a unit of Cataphractii Terminators where each one has a Cyclone missile launcher. I'd seen a few conversions of these guys, mostly Cataphractii Terminators with standard 40K SM Terminator Cyclones on them. And they were okay, but I wasn't thrilled by it. This guy Eorek on Heresy30k, though, had a unit of Ultramarines Fulmentarus Terminators (similar to the Tyrant Siege ones with Cyclones) and he had used the old shark-fin style 30k missile launchers for his. I thought they looked fantastic! Perfect and distinct for the 30k setting. Last night I set to building my first one and this was the result.

Will my list be painted for the next League match next week? Definitely not. But as opposed to my Raven Guard, I'm actually looking forward to painting these guys.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:59 pm 

Looking good man, I think they'll be a lot more fun than the Raven Guard, though I did like what you'd done so far! Are you going to keep some of them that you can use as a small allied force?

The dreads look great, much better with those poses rather than the fairly static one they come in. Not entirely sure about the missile launchers on the terminator... I think the shape definitely suits the models better but they just seem huge! But that does fit with Iron Warriors :)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:55 pm 

This is definitely a huge change Jacob! I heartedly approve of mass Dreadnoughts and the missile launchers on the Siege Tyrant look super cool, I always pictured them as mounted mortars and yours hit the spot. Paint up, two weeks is plenty!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:27 pm 

It's only one though ;-)
Love the models though, the rocket launchers look really good. And then there is the fact that these guys like robots as well, which is always a win in my books!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:29 pm 

Look good. What are your plans for the hazard stripes?I'm planning to do an Iron Warriors armoured breakthrough army, already ordered Perturabo. I'm really not sure how to go about getting a good job on the stripes, maybe masking will work, but masking a shoulder pad seems a bit small.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:08 pm 

It's actually pretty easy to score small lines like that with a hobby knife. This is then very easy to follow with a paint brush.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:27 am 

When I get better about planning my models, my ultimate plan is to leave the shoulder pads off, mask them with tape or blu-tac and then airbrush the hazard stripes. Awhile back, Timo showed me how easy it was to do hazard stripes with an airbrush. When I gave it a try with his airbrush it was a breeze. I haven't tried it with mine, but with my recent airbrush successes with the basecoat on these guys, I'm hopeful.

Unfortunately, I've got 25 power armour marines and 5 terminators that I've already assembled. I'm going to see how many of their shoulder pads I can pop off and paint separately. For those that I can't get off, I'm thinking of making a jig out of cardboard or plasticard with a hole in it that will just fit the shoulder pad or arm (to reduce what I'm having to mask), mask the stripes and then airbrush it.

I build my remaining 4 BaC Cataphractii Terminators last night - man, what a nice kit to put together. GW did a really great job with the BaC marines. I still need to put the missile launchers on these guys, though. I have enough of the BaC MLs to make 3 guys, but I still need 4 more to finish off a 5-man squad.

If anyone has more Cataphractii Terminators and the old-style missile launchers, I'm definitely in the market for them.

Oh yeah, and does anyone know folks looking to expand or get into M:tG? I've got a couple boxes that I'd picked up when I first moved here and hadn't found anyone to play 40k with yet and could only get games of M:tG on campus.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:43 pm 

Scoring them has potential if my scoring is any straighter than my painting! Don't have an airbrush. For spaying the assembled ones have you considered wrapping them in glad wrap along with your template rig to prevent overspray.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:47 pm 

Mm. Plastic wrap - that's a great idea, thanks!

Building has continued. I worked on my 5-man Tyrant Siege Terminator squad, but only had enough BaC missile launchers for three guys, so for right now, two have 40K Cyclone MLs.

I also scavenged the backpack from my RG Alvarex Maun to use on a new Iron Warriors Master of Signals. I wanted to use the cool FW Master of Signals head on him with the bulges in the back, but unfortunately, the bulges got in the way of the backpack and the Mk IVness of it looked too modern for an IW character, so I went with this helmet instead.

I added some Iron Warrior hazard stripes to the first of the Mortis Dreads.

And did the same along with a plasticard IW logo to decorate up a Land Raider.

I was a little worried about how it was going to look, but once I got it primed, I was pretty happy with the results.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 Next