[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Belly's Sons of Medusa - Page 3 - WestGamer
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:42 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:29 pm 

The army is progressing well, i've all but finished painting the razorback and rhino. I'm still waiting on transfers and some weathering powder to arrive, so I won't post pictures yet.

Still waiting on some conversion bits, so I can't assemble my tacticals and venerable yet. Looks like i'll be cutting it close to have my models ready for the 2nd round of the league. I *should* have everything assembled, and at least basecoated before then. Probably 50% of the 750 points will be completely finished. Tonight's project is the 1st Drop-pod.

I've been thinking about where i'll end up taking this army. By December, it should be 1,850 points of space marines, with loadouts and models that suit Iron Hands or Salamanders tactics. I'm contemplating adding some various other Imperium stuff to the mix, Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor, Culexus Assassin, maybe some Cult Mech/Skitarri stuff. Already thinking i'll get that tech Priest Dominus model to use as an Inquisitor.

So no pic updates yet, I want to wait until I get my tanks/pods finished before I do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:29 am 

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished models. Would you look at a similar clue scheme for your allies? I've noticed that Biel Tan would fit in really well with both our colour schemes...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:59 am 

No, I don't think i'll be starting a 2nd Eldar army!

I was almost thinking I could convert some cataphron destoryers. Half destoryer kit, half centurion. I like the tracks and guns on the destoryers, but don't like the body. I've never liked the Centurion models due to their legs and gawky heads. A unit thats 50/50, I can play as both if I magnetise, paint them in chapter colours, and looks both Marine'y and Mechanicum'y. Also really fits the Chapters fluff with their close ties to the Mechanicum.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:24 am 

Belly, man, you gotta post up some pics! Give us a teaser at least!

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:54 am 

Afraid I don't have much to post. There's a half completed razorback on the previous page... but everything else is either assembled or awaiting bits!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:56 am 

No one said you could only post pics of completed stuff :D Show us some WIPs of your assembled stuff!

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:22 am 

Well my bits have finally arrived.

Still awaiting some more conversion pieces for my tactical marines, so I doubt i'll be able to play on monday.

I've assembled my venerable dread, drop-pod and techmarine this week. I was short on time for painting, but my house smells of plastic glue and spray paint.

Also, I can finally agree that yes, drop pods suck to put together.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:29 am 

That's a shame! But I look forward to seeing them, hopefully for 1000 points if not next week.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:20 am 

Well, I played my first two games last night with the Sons.

I've been hiding the photos as I don't consider any models to be worthy of being shown off yet. I'd spent the past few days frantically assembling 15 tacticals and a dreadnought. All of my bitz for the tacticals came in late last week. I'll post a few photos of them assembled when I get the time. All of them have 1-3 bionics on them, they look pretty good so far. Not sure how they'll turn out with Green/Black/white with large sections of silver.

The army itself did quite well last night. I played Jasons Renegades. Rolled crazy good on my armour saves, and made a bundle of 6+ FNP rolls. Then my tanks/dreads started repairing themselves. My Ironclad managed to get an assault off against a Russ that hadn't moved. He then got immobilized and spent the rest of the game pissed off nothing was in flamer range.

I then played Gary and his Cult Mech. Scary amount of Anti-tank firepower in his army(codex). Managed to use cover (bolstered) quite well and keep my transports alive. I just did'nt have enough mid/high strength shooting. My weapons are all meltas and flamers. So T7 3 wounds is pretty tough to crack. I think my razorbacks will need to change to Assault Cannons. I ended up losing this one. I had the objective, but gary beat me handily in killpoints.

Final points;
I need to learn my new codex. I can't remember the armour facings on a freaking rhino.
Stop putting dreadnought rear armour towards ANYTHING
My Techmarine can't hit anything. I believe his servo-harness has a software issue.
I have to remember to combat squad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:36 am 

Stolen from the event thread...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:39 am 

They're looking good Matt, I look forward to seeing them come along. The green is very bright, I like how they look quite different to mine (though someone asked me if mine were Sons of Medusa).

I'd be incllined to keep the metal dark looking, to contrast with the brighter green and white.

Grav guns would be pretty handy against those big robots...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:45 am 

Yeah, the metal is quite bright as i've got to put a bit of rust and damage onto all of it..

I'm tempted to ally in some Mechanicum Destroyers with Grav for that problem... but my 250 points is going to be another Ironclad, and filling out what models I already have.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:14 am 

First update in quite a while. I've decided I definitely have enough Eldar for now, so i've jumped back to working on my marines.

https://imgur.com/a/0Uqwi

I *think* i've finished the Rhino/Razorback. Moving house means I actually now have a permanent painting station, so i can do a lil bit of work each night.

Have I gone a little overboard on the grime/dirt/rust? I was all excited to used weathering powders, I may have gone a tad crazy with them. There's just some finishing touches to be done. Clean up the decals a little, paint some of the details (stormbolter/lenses). Also, please don't judge my freehand writing. I know it looks pretty terrible.

I have also started work on some of the tacticals. Just 5 of them being based/coloured at the moment. With Objective Secured running that mixed doubles tournament in a couple of months, my goal is to have a FULLY painted 750 point force ready. Not just the "get it decent enough to put on the table" level of painting I usually do.

Edit - should also mention I snagged one of the anniversary marines. He'll be getting done with the 2nd tacticals I end up doing.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:11 am 

I like them. Really nice colour scheme and the vehicles look well used (i.e. have run over lots of enemies and had quite a few lovely mud baths). I like the tracked big guy from your previous post a lot (is it a Terminator?). It reminds me of a very souped-up version of the robot from Lost in Space (Danger-Danger-Danger! - showing my age here). I have yet to use weathering powders (something I want to have a go at soon). How easy is it to blend the powders outwards from heavy to very light? Is there a particular medium you use to blend out the powders (water, turps, thinners, other?).

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:19 am 

Quote:
I like them. Really nice colour scheme and the vehicles look well used (i.e. have run over lots of enemies and had quite a few lovely mud baths). I like the tracked big guy from your previous post a lot (is it a Terminator?). It reminds me of a very souped-up version of the robot from Lost in Space (Danger-Danger-Danger! - showing my age here). I have yet to use weathering powders (something I want to have a go at soon). How easy is it to blend the powders outwards from heavy to very light? Is there a particular medium you use to blend out the powders (water, turps, thinners, other?).
The tracked guy is a venerable dread. I have plans to convert a bunch of goofy looking venerables, using some of the mechnicum kits to give them spindly legs and stuff. That's a few months away though.

The powders are pretty easy to use, but seem to be quite hard to master. There's a few videos online to watch to get the hang of them.

The way I was using them, was putting a small amount down on a palette, mixing with a large amount of water (the powders are VERY strong), and then applying in the relevant areas. Once dry, you can manipulate them with a brush just by rubbing back and forth on the area. I've only got the 4 colours at the moment, rust, bone powder, dark dirt, lighter dirt.

The other method is to apply them powders directly then manipulate them with whatever. This seems to be the best for effects like rust streaking.

The dirt/grime i've used it a combination of paints, powders and the devlan mud technical paint from GW.

Anyone have a good guide/method for getting soot to look nicely? I wanted to dirty up the exhausts a little.