[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Dr Claw's Flames of War - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:32 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
 Post subject: Dr Claw's Flames of War
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:33 pm 

Well the 200th Anniversary of Waterloo has come and gone and it's been awhile since I've painted anything Napoleonic. I did check out the exhibition game at NWS which was an amazing sight. Hundreds (thousands?) of beautifully painted minis.

One reason is I dusted off a box of Flames of War miniatures that I had in my garage. The infantry and guns were painted by Chris at NWS some 10 years ago, while I painted the tanks.

The tank bug bit and I've started painting tanks again. First it was a Matilda Senior, then a box of Japanese Type 95 Ha-Go tanks, then Matilda I's ... Now it's every tank I've ever loved as a little kid.

Played my very first game of Flames of War with Hayden, Troy and Lethal Lee earlier this month and it was an absolute blast. Pics and battle report can be found here: http://ironhaiden666.blogspot.com.au

It was Brits and Aussies vs. Germans and Italians. Yes, I DID take an Early War British army in a Mid War game. Yes, all those Matilda tanks did blow up on their start line before I even had my first turn ...

Anyhow, here are some pics. First up, rifle platoon and 2 pounder anti-tank guns. I love the bases and have yet to work out how Chris did these.

Last edited by Dr Claw on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:38 pm 

Now the armour. I love Early War tanks as you have all these crazy designs when countries were experimenting without the distraction of actual combat practicality, e.g. Soviet T-35 land battleships with five turrets and a crew of 10, Matilda Is that were practically indestructible but armed with only a single machine gun.

First up, my favourite tank, the Matilda Senior.

Matilda Is. These didn't actually fight in the Western Desert but they did make up the bulk of the BEF's tanks that fought Rommel to a standstill at the Battle of Arras. Super armoured, super slow, one machine gun ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:45 pm 

Now for some crazy Vickers MkVI light tanks. Built like tin cans and armed with two machine guns. Perfect for rebellious natives armed with sharpened sticks. Less good against Panzers.

Rolls Royce armoured cars. Take a Rolls Royce. Add armour and a turret! According to my Osprey book on the same, these particular model had the turret fixed to the front. Something I learned after I superglued them in dynamic pose firing to the side ...

Mark 10 Cruiser tanks. These were fast and relatively well armoured (max 30 mm) compared to the death trap Mark 9s (just 15 mm max armour).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:53 pm 

Once I work out how to imitate the original desert bases, I'll like to add a battery of 25 pounders.

In the meantime, I've also been painting French! The French build powerful tanks. Many were so heavily armoured that German 37 mm anti-tank shells bounced off them and only the dreaded 88 mm could take one down.

And yet they suffered from fatal design flaws. Most tanks didn't have radios so they communicated by flags! They had one man turrets so the poor commander had to load the gun, aim it, fire it, while directing his driver and/or the rest of his squadron.

They also had very short ranges which meant constantly stopping and re-fuelling while the German blitzkrieg swept past them. One DCR (their equivalent of an armoured division) was destroyed when Panzers caught them re-fuelling.

First up, FT-17s. One of my favourite tanks. They look like Daleks. They helped win the last war ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:56 pm 

Hotchkiss H39 tanks. Well armoured but again only a crew of 2 with an overworked commander. Two have the longer 37 mm gun, the other have the stubby earlier gun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:01 pm 

The legendary Char B armed with a 75 mm gun and a 47 mm gun. One knocked out 14 Panzers and survived 150 hits.

Unfortunately, that was the exception rather than the rule as it suffered from the usual design flaws - an overworked commander, one man turret, lack of radio, limited range.

Incidentally these models might double as paperweights. The sides and guns are metal making for hefty models.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:05 pm 

Finally, the big man himself, General de Gaulle. With his broken down Somua tank, or beside his motorcycle sidecar.

I've picked up a platoon of French infantry from Tactics so that's on the painting table now.

It's an absolute blast painting Flames of War and I already have plans for a Soviet army so I can have Commissars and T-35 land battleships, and a Polish army so I can charge Panzers with cavalry armed with lances.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:12 pm 

They all look great, would be fun to paint all those different types of tanks. I love a lot of the early war designs too, it's a shame they weren't practical.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:37 pm 

De guile looks ready for a glass of southern France's finest.

Looking amazing dr claw.

Time for you to start practicing Maori skin and face tattoos when I purchase my army for you to paint. Remember the nz flag has one less star than the Aussie flag when you paint flags for me on the infantry.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:23 pm 

Looking good Dr Claw!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable