[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Wolfram's Malifaux Adventures - WestGamer
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:38 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:45 pm 

Having not played Malifaux for quite some time, I gave the recent tournament a shot, and had an absolute blast, even if my results suggested I performed poorly. Still, the games I had were close, and I enjoyed myself quite a bit, so I decided to paint my models and play some more games. This should be a bit of a photo blog of my painting progress, through the models that I already have painted, into the painting of my Guild models. I've decided to paint both my Guild and Ten Thunders in the same scheme, as I want to get McCabe, who is cross-faction. That way, I can play whatever I want in either lists without needing to field a visually disjointed crew.

Anyway, without further ado, here's my Mei Feng crew!

I'm more than happy for some constructive criticism if there's some on offer, too - like my painting in Infinity, I'm keen to see how I can improve as I go along.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:50 pm 

Really dig the thematic colour scheme across the models - very sharp. It's a shame there's not a good feasible way to extend that to the (pardon my lack of Malifaux knowledge) Rock-Magma-Elemental thing. Maybe doing it's tongue in the same purple as on the other models?

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:21 pm 

Haha, this is my fault.

You're welcome. ;D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:34 am 

I think that the tools look too clean, and would suggest that you blotch on some black was on the arms to represent oil and do something with the hammers (dust maybe? Like dry brush). You might want to consider what you want to the crew to represent, if they are coming from "work" as union members then you might want to dust up their feet a little. Kang's gloves are weird to me mainly because they look medical due to them being blue, might want them brown to represent leather a bit better.
Also if you are game you might want to add glow effects on the mouth (believe it is meant to be a furnace like door, I know what I mean and can point it out next time I see you), and the black and the ground of the fire thing.

Other than those minor suggestions, they look great and I like what you did with flesh of the golem.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:51 am 

They look really good man, as I said before I'm envious of your skin work! I had a good look at them on Tuesday when you were debating philosophy.

What have you got planned next?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:20 am 

I'm glad they held up to scrutiny in the flesh...

The recipe is actually quite simple, but it does rely on having some Ogryn Flesh around, which has been out of production for a while now. No idea what the new version is like, but I got my wash back in 2008 when they first came out, and you can tell how much skin I've painted in that time! :P

Vallejo Model Color Basic Skintone over everything, followed by a wash of Ogryn Flesh. Then I've gone and re-painted with basic skintone, leaving the shading in deep, followed with a minimal highlight of Model Color Light Flesh. The whole lot is tied together with another Ogryn Flesh wash, but this time watered down to about 50/50.

Next up for painting will be my Lady Justice crew, which has Lady Justice, The Judge, 3x Death Marshalls, the Scales of Justice, an Austringer, an Executioner, 3x Witchling Stalkers and 3x Guild Riflemen. A bit of a bigger project, but most of those models are nothing but cloak so they should be fairly easy to get through.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:25 am 

Is Ogryn Flesh wash similar at all to the old Gryphon Sepia? Because Army Painter Soft Tone is similar to that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:55 am 

Not really - there's a lot more red in the Ogryn Flesh than there is in the Gryphon Sepia - if anything, the red wash would probably be closer to it, only it doesn't have the same deepness that's needed for shading. I'm not sure what GW's current flesh wash is like, although I do know that Stu Evans was frustrated with it because the tone was slightly different, and it made his skin-tone recipe flat - still, it would probably be close enough to warrant an experiment!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:59 am 

Quote:
Not really - there's a lot more red in the Ogryn Flesh than there is in the Gryphon Sepia - if anything, the red wash would probably be closer to it, only it doesn't have the same deepness that's needed for shading. I'm not sure what GW's current flesh wash is like, although I do know that Stu Evans was frustrated with it because the tone was slightly different, and it made his skin-tone recipe flat - still, it would probably be close enough to warrant an experiment!
Hahaha - ninja'd. I was just about to say this. Reikland Fleshshade is what I use now and it works as well for me as Ogryn Flesh did. It has the red tones that Gryphon Sepia and Army Painter Soft Tone are missing. Which reminds me, I need to pick up a purple wash. I saw some really cool skin recipes that threw in a purple wash to tone down the red-orange that can occasionally make models look like they got a bad spray tan.

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:16 am 

Interesting... thanks guys, I will definitely play around with that. I've got my own receipe at the moments and I'm not that impressed with it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:41 am 

Here's a photo of the next lot of models I've been working on. At this stage, they just need to be sealed with Dulcote, the metals then need going over again, and some tufts need to be glued to the bases. I've got 3 Riflemen ready to finish up tomorrow as well, if I can get to them - they're about 60% finished already, which is a good start. Just need to work on the rifles, and then all of the highlights.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:44 am 

Man, I just listened to the Schemes and Stones master spotlight on Mei Feng. She sounds so fun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:54 am 

She really is a load of fun. Being able to teleport around the battlefield to not only get out of combats that you don't like, but to also be able to do a yo-yo is really quite excellent in Malifaux; if you get the right cards (mostly is you can chain enough Railwalks together), you can teleport up something like 14", take a Jackhammer kick against an enemy, make a Tiger Claw attack against it, and with Seismic Claws push it back 2", take another Jackhammer kick from the trigger, and then use your third AP to railwalk back out of the danger zone into a safe place. Kinda like playing Kaya in Hordes :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:01 am 

Malifaux is dangerous.

I'm looking lustfully at so many crew boxes.

Kaeris.
Mei Feng.
Molly.
Dreamer.

I shouldn't be permitted money.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:03 pm 

Just saw your diary. Wow that's some progress, the whole crew was plain plastic 2 weeks ago?!
To add some dissonance, I really like the clean look. The blue and purple highlights are nice.

Envious of your speed and quality!